2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check-in: 24-30 May (Read 658 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Oh well, there's always the Lake Tahoe Triple in late sept too 

Now you've got me thinking!

I've taken a couple of days off, the top of my right foot is still sore and tender, although it's better. I just did 20 minutes elliptical today. I'm still thinking about the Chattooga RIver 50k in two weeks, depending on how the foot feels.

Dutchie, I'm working on the RR!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

...---...

Now you've got me thinking!

That's a lot of Maniac stars for the triple too. My brother-in-law said he would crew for me. Dang, decisions, decisions...there's time to think more about that but yeah, I've been eyeing Lake Tahoe since last year. If you decide to do Chattooga, be careful, it's a toughy. And good luck! 

-

Had a great run today - 4.5 miles and it was the antithesis of Sunday's run where nothing felt good or right. Today, everything felt super and felt like I could have hammered out 3 more at 10K race pace. 

-

Got a shipment from Zombie Runner in today (sale items mostly) which was exciting. Hammer gels, Cytomax, gin-gins, S-Caps, Drymax trail socks (old one's are getting thin), new Zensah calf sleeves - I'll do and try anything to get through a training cycle 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

HappyFeat

just curious - what do the "calf sleeves" do for you?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dog-Love

I just don't know if San Fran is going to happen or not. I should be farther along than I am now and it's a fight, a struggle, to ramp up the miles in the way I need. Last Sunday's 13 mile "Le Tour de Redneck" was horrible (aside from the 1 mile sprint interval at mile 11 when the guns shots went off). I had to take walk breaks every 1.5 - 2 miles or so. Partially, the heat brought that on but I started hurting again in the left lower back and felt the lower ab/groin/pelvis pain came back again half way through. 

I don't feel terrible today but was a bit tender yesterday. There's a 50 miler I really want to do in Sept and the SF Marathon would be a good way to get in a really great, long, albeit expensive, training run. I can't be ready for Grandfather Mountain marathon (I may not be quite that crazy either) so I'm on the fence. I don't think SF will sell out before July 4 and am going to play it by ear. 

Oh well, there's always the Lake Tahoe Triple in late sept too 

Trey...I am thinking that since I already have my flights with my kids to visit me mum in SF and I have already registered...I may just use this as a long slow run and try for a better marathon in Portland Oregon...or I may just run the half with my daughter.  Good luck whatever you do and don't be injured!!!

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Imminent Catastrophe

I know they look a little goofy but I really think that they helped me recover from shin problems and achilles tendinitis. They provide support and compression to the lower leg, and that can be helpful IMHO. 

Anyway, here is my race report from Saturday's race.

I would not even have written this except for Dutchie's nagging

Thanks, Dutchie. Best wishes for your continued recovery.  

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Just a dude.

Nice write up... Thanks!

Pics do make it look like a nice run...  

Almost 8 with strides for me today... Felt tired and my arms were sore... 

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

...---...

Like Russ mentioned, I honestly can tell a difference in recovery. I tend to be kind of shin splint prone and with my ramping up mileage a bit faster than I would ever recommend, I'm a little tender. I also have a pair of the 2XU compression calf sleeves for actual training runs. Man, do they ever make a difference. Yes, they look a bit goofy and sometimes I get comments from on lookers (rednecks) lofting a jab or two as I run by but then again, rednecks are always so confused as to why someone would work out. I think I'm addicted to compression wear. 

-

Crabby - when in SF, just look for the slow dorky guy wearing the compression calf sleeves. That'll probably be me. 

-

Russ - Awesome RR. Always love the photos. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

HappyFeat

I enjoyed reading all your RRs, Russ. Thanks for posting them. The only place among them I've been is Scotland - twice - so especially loved reading about your marathon experience there.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Perfesser: Lovely trail race - thanks for the report.

I'm taking a rest day today, got a bit more sore on the second day. I did some pre-dawn housecleaning and went to work early (my body still wakes up at run time 5:45)

Happy Wednesday, A

Recalculating...

Dutchie42

Perfesser: wonderful RR Loved the pics. Very scenic, makes me jealous

Ayola: I still wake up before 5AM for my non-run, sigh.

Yesterday was 30 minutes of LB and 30 minutes of chest (12 min) and triceps (18min).

Today I woke up with a massive headache, took some painkillers and stayed in bed for another hour or so. Then just surfed the internet till it was time for a shower and the office.

Dutchie
                      Run the day, or the day runs you.

Imminent Catastrophe

Bah, the foot is still sore, so just did a mile on the TM and 45 minutes elliptical on hill program. Watched the HBO series "The Pacific". Tremendous.

...---...

Looks like San Fran is definitely out for me by default - business trip over seas during the dates of the race weekend. Boy am I glad I waited to sign up. I've taken a couple days off as a result to help my tender shin splint area but feel good about a 6 or 7 mile run today. Have a great memorial day weekend everyone.

-

PS - Hammer gel Montana Huckleberry flavor, not bad at all. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

In NYC and not running, gonna give the foot a few more days. Arrrgh, it kills me to not run when I'm here.

Ayola- Sorry to hear about the bad race.  If you are anything like me there's not much I can say to make you feel better.  PR's mean nothing to me if I know I should have been able to run faster.  I think you should go with DH and find another half and show us what you got!

I've been doing lots of cross training.  Did 18 easy miles on the bike today.  I have my annual frustration 10K tomorrow morning.   It's the only official 10K race that I've ever done (3 years in a row now) and I always run badly.  Tomorrow should be no different.  I'm not in 10K shape at all.  Not even sure what I should have as a goal.  Guess I'll play it by ear.

Enough of the aches and pains folks.  Let's all get healed up, it's the summer race season for crying out loud!

Just a dude.

Good interval workout yesterday for me.

Ran a couple early this morning to kinda work out the kinks, and then 7 easy with some drills and strides this evening...

Today is my birthday (yay, 40 ), and I got a Garmin 305... so I kinda played with it some on the run tonite... I can see how all the pretty beeps and flashing numbers can consume a person... 

Easy tomorrow and race Sunday... yeehaw!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape...