2000Km-1243 mile club

December (Read 406 times)

I started off my December with a 7 mile trail run.  Still focusing on mostly trail getting ready for my trail 50K in a couple weeks.  Anybody that is close to the bunny may want to move clear.  I have that little varmit in my sights and plan on pulling off a 200 mile December to finish the fuzzy bugger off.

You can do this!!  I just finished the march to 1243 yesterday, but I too am going for a 200 mile month (my first) in December.  I'll be running with you in spirit, man!

Go get 'em, heffa!

20 minutes on the treadmill: 2 minutes walk, 2 minutes run times 5.  First run of any kind since November 4.  No other run scheduled until after evaluation by PT on Monday.  Hoping to get to 1100 by years end.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Ripper - Thanks for the encouragement and congrats on crossing the line.

Brian - I'm sure you'll be back at before you know it.  A little running is better than none.

My trail training continues and I made big progress on the bunny while I was at it.  I managed a good 20 miler on a rather difficult trail today.  I'm gaining more respect for the trail ultra concept each day.  That is some tiring stuff.

Back to back 20k Saturday and Sunday.  Getting out of Heffas way before I get run over

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Imminent Catastrophe

Out the door for Pine Mountain 40, a pretty tough run through the woods. Ugh.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Ran 5 brisk miles this morning - I'm way at the back of the pack and feeling very safe from the Jeff vs Bunny showdown...

Perfesser - thinking of your run through the woods today -  good luck!

A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Well, I finished in 9:37 or so, 6 minutes slower than last year but then I was probably better prepared last year. Road marathons are not the best preparation for a rocky, rooty 40-miler. I really had a bad case of clumsy today with 4 falls and a couple dozen stumbles, that's what not doing enough trail runs in training will do to you. I got stuck behind a big pack of runners that were just slightly slower than I wanted to go and couldn't get past them on the narrow singletrack until about mile 12 and by that time I was a full 10 minutes off last year's pace. So I made up some of the time anyway. 

There were some areas where a tornado went through a few months ago and it was utter devastation, every single tree was either torn out of the ground or snapped off a few feet above the ground, it looked like a gigantic weed eater came through. I'm amazed that the trails were cleared enough to have the race although there were a lot of trees we had to climb or jump over. 

Due to the many foot-stubs I may lose a couple of toenails. I need to work on my footwork. 

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Russ, pretty good showing for just two weeks after the Monkey.  Is there anything more frustrating then getting stuck behind people who are going just a little slower than you want to go?  Doesn't matter whether its running, driving on the interstate or walking in the mall: it just drives me crazy.

Jeff thanks for the encouragement. I'm definitely glad to be doing something, especially if it's a step on the way to the next thing.

...---...

Jeff, Russ, Ripper - you guys rock! Brian - Awesome! Fingers crossed for you. I did a very easy run/walk on the treadmill Sunday with no pain. I walked more than intended but every time I felt even the slightest twinge of any kind of pressure in the calf, I walked for a bit. Paranoid? Yes. Better safe than injured again. Have a great week everyone.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Here's the training plan for the week:
                           MWF: 2 minute walk/2 minute run x 10 (approx 2 miles running total) on treadmill 

Sun: 3-4 mile running on treadmill, exact run/walk intervals TBD

Here's the training plan for the week:
                             MWF: 2 minute walk/2 minute run x 10 (approx 2 miles running total) on treadmill 

Sun: 3-4 mile running on treadmill, exact run/walk intervals TBD

Brian - Does this mean your evaluation went well?  Starting to ramp back up?

Russ - Great job on Pine Mountain.  I have a new found respect for trail runs.  I can't even imagine tackling 40 miles on technical trails.  I'm hoping to come out unscathed from 50K on easy trails.

My runs have been going great over the last couple of weeks.  I'm making steady progress on my fitness and the bunny.  Logging the runs has been difficult because I am in the middle of a big computer network upgrade.  For the time being I'm logging my runs manually from my work computer.  At the house I am working on moving the desktop to a new room, reloading the existing computers with new software, transferring files between computers for new users (DW and son) and setting up the new laptop that I bought myself as a Christmas present.  My Garmin 305 decided to fall apart the other day and I managed to glue it back together but the computer upgrades have got me thinking that it would be a good time to upgrade Garmins.  Any recommendations?  I'm leaning towards the 310XT.

Imminent Catastrophe

Thumbs up on the 310XT. It's got a big, beautiful display and really great battery life. 

...---...

Thumbs up on the 310XT. It's got a big, beautiful display and really great battery life. 

I couldn't agree more about the 310 XT. It's more comfortable, in my opinion, than any of the other models (405 included) I've had. I charge mine (when I'm running a normal) every 7 to 10 days.

-

2.2 mile run/walk (75% running) on the treadmill yesterday. No pain. I had a little tightness in my other (healthy) calf so I kept the pace and run times down for fear I'd tear the other one.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

...---...

Happy Friday. Speaking of Happy...where you? Anyway, 2.5 miles (ran outside) yesterday with no pain, 2.3 of it without breaks (0.1 walk to start and 0.1 walk to end). I felt good and wanted to do more. Taking Happy and Perfesser's advice, I "shook my booty" to engage more muscle groups. I can tell a difference in the overall fatigue level (or lack thereof) from the other groups that are usually engaged in flat straight line running. I'm going to ramp up a little this weekend - probably half outside and half on treadmill. The doc cleared me for it so here goes. Have a great weekend everyone.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12