2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly mileage check in for week of 4 August (Read 333 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

5 on the treadmill today, I'm just tired of the heat. It was OK, I watched "Cold Case"--good show. Then later I was doing yardwork and found a yellowjacket nest--the hard way! Ouch, ouch and ouch. Anyway if I stick to my plans I should do 40 this week, I'll be in NYC this weekend and can get it a long run there. That would be good. Run With the Horses is on the 23rd.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Hey JeffGoBlue, What happens if you have the footpod and the GPS going at the same time? Like if you're in the big city and you want the best accuracy so you have them both going? Have you tried this yet? I stood on a corner in NYC for a few minutes waiting for a GPS lock, it would have been great to have the footpod. But would I still have the GPS map and all that? Just wondering if you've tried that combo yet. What data does the watch use--GPS or footpod?
      Good question. So here's the deal. You turn the watch and footpod on. The watch starts looking for satellites. Eventually, the watch will see the footpod (it helps to walk around a little bit). A prompt appears on the watch asking "Are you currently indoors?" If you hit Yes (indoors) -- all distances will be recorded using the footpod. This means no maps. If you hit No (outdoors) -- the watch will use GPS, and the footpod is used strictly to measure your cadence. So you can use both at the same time, but not for redundancy -- the footpod doesn't kick in and save the day if you lose GPS. MTA: 5 more on the indoor walking track today . Footpod (which uses a AA battery) ran out of juice, after about two miles, so I had to ballpark distance based on total time. Can't complain -- this is the first time I've had to replace the battery in 9 months. I need a break from the track though. Tight corners and hard surface are wearing on me a little bit.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Good news and bad news. Bad news: I finally got to work on fixing my treadmill and discovered that the belt has a hole in it. So that needs to be replaced. I'm sure that won't be cheap. Good news: Great run today. A thunderstorm blew through. Aftereward, in the subsequent cool front and drizzle, I cranked out a solid tempo run -- 20 minutes at 6:42/mi pace. Felt good. Legs, check. Lungs, check. If I had run faster, my gut would have been the fail point. So I still need to improve my dry heave threshold. But overall, it felt great to shake off the cobwebs and actually run.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks for the info Jeff, I noticed with the GPS watch if I don't wait for it to lock onto satellites it's (obviously) pretty inaccurate. Just one of the limitations of GPS I guess. Got in a decent 8.8 today, really slow since I was trying to stay aerobic as long as I could but with the big hill I have on my course I'd have to walk and I really don't want to do that on a training run. Anyway I'm on track this week then a two week taper into the race.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

...---...

unplanned rest day yesterday (wed). 6 miles today with hill 3 nice hills in the main route and hill repeats x 4 at the end. I may run a small 5K race this weekend...just for the heck of it.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Dutchie42

Unplanned rest day for me too yesterday Tongue We had thunder storms all day yesterday. Today, a very nice run, despite the tight lower calfs in the first 4K. Gorgeous morning. Though it started to rain (and thunder) as soon as I walked in the front door after the run Wink Did a 14.2K supposedly easy run at a 6:43/K average pace. Can't believe I ran at that pace. And feel good. I must have had an incredible pace after the initial 4K. Cause the first 1000 meters took me 8:36minutes to finish. So to make up for that, and take time to let Spooky off leash, put her back on, walk breaks for drinking, crossing roads, movings aside for 8 construction trucks passing me at regular intervals, and still have a 6:43/K average pace, I must have been running fast. That's just incredible to me.

Dutchie
              Run the day, or the day runs you.

I run for Fried Chicken!

7mi on the treadmill last night. Almost hurt myself badly. Someone left a treadmill running and I wasn't paying attention and stepped up on it. Almost fell flat on my face. I don't understand why people do that. Why would you leave a treadmill running? I see it all the time too.
                C-R

Yikes - I've left the dreadmill to go to the loo but that only takes 20 seconds or so and our units shut down after 25 seconds. Thank goodness the bathrooms are close for us. 8 miles @ 8:57 and avg HR of 144 for me today. 26 miles for the week so far. Looks like another 40 + miler. Thats 3 in a row and no injuries. Feeling good about my training plans. Chicago Distance HM for me this weekend. No tapering as I'm working on a full M for October.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Easy 6, today. Nice weather 80°F and sunny. Not too humid. Gorgeous, in fact. (Can you see that I'm rubbing it in?). Actually, 80°F is still too warm for me, but this was a nice respite from the super hot/muggy days we've been having. A little sluggish from yesterday's tempo run, but overall, not too bad. About 27 miles so far this wee, so even if I go into the tank over the weekend, I still have a decent total.

Dutchie42

Here's something non-running, but running related: I took a Krav Maga class this evening. There's weird people (read: men) about this Summer when I go running early morning. After this mornings werido, I decided I needed to learn some defence/attack techniques. And with Krav Maga, you learn fast! It's intense, it's not for whimps or wusses and if you want to kick ass when attacked, this is it. There's just two things worrying me now. Not to get a leg injury and my old neck injury. I'm starting with one class a week. After my September and October races, I might take two classes Tongue

Dutchie

Dutchie42

Body is sore in places because of yesterday's Krav Maga class. To my surprise, legs are fine this morning. Nice, easy 8.5K run. It was a bit chilly this morning. Only 11C when I went out the door. It'd warmed up to 12C when I came back. So I put on a tech hoody. Which I took off again about 10min. into my run Undecided It wasn't till I'd already done 4.5K that I found my rhythm. Which was obviously also when my pace increased.

Dutchie

...---...

2 little miles yesterday to shake off the "I don't feel like running up these damn hills and in this God-forsaken heat anymore" attitude. I think it worked. 10 miles today. Man, was I hungry when I finished. Actually, still a little hungry. Think I'll make a pizza. Dutchie - admirable that you're taking those self defense classes. Good luck, keep it up, but please don't kick my butt. Big grin

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good luck, guys - I'm going to step out of the 2000K club since I'm so far behind. I'm so competitive that I don't want to be tempted to overdo things and reinjure my achilles! I will be back on 1/1/09, though! Smile

...---...

Wait - don't go...you're not any further behind than I am...so what if life derails our goals from time to time. it's still a great group to hang with.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

A Saucy Wench

Stick around! Its not all about the bunny! Big grin

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7