2000Km-1243 mile club

January 2013 (Read 220 times)

Ayola, I don't even know if I can run 40km. PerfesserR's runs on another league...

Dutchie42, a fanatic rock climber friend of mine frequently says that "to walk on the ground, that's what's really dangerous!", because of misfortunes like yours...

HappyFeat

Dutchie - so sorry to hear about your mishap! Things can only get better from here, right?

My current motto: Start out in the direction you intend to proceed. So far so good.

Yoga and household chores today.

Ayola - nothin' wrong at all with TM running. My mileage wouldn't be where it is without my TM.  Poor things' motor appears to be wearing out though.  I have to wear earplugs (or earbuds) to drown out the whining (TM not me). I'll wait until spring to see if it can be repaired though because I don't want to risk being without over the winter. Hope it will scream along until then.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

I love my TM. Unfortunately, it's in storage and will be until we make the move from TX to FL in the summer. The house sold last month and we are in an apartment. The workout center has 3 True TMs. That is good. They are facing a wall and have no air circulation. Bad. I can stand it for 1 hour at the most. My TM had a built-in fan and was under a ceiling fan.

I kept the Planet Fitness membership, so I'll be going there frequently.

I did my yearly faceplant Christmas Eve. Instead of the usual hands and knees I did left elbow/right knee. The knee is almost back to normal, the elbow is still sore to touch at the joint. Doctor? What doctor? I can move furniture, it must be ok. Big grin

Imminent Catastrophe

Well, today didn't go as planned. I left the house late for my 50k and approaching the race start realized I would be late. At that point I was in a really foul mood and did not want to spend 6-7 hours running so I just turned around and went home. So I just got in an easy 6 miles with Taz and that was great, I don't regret my DNS at all, in fact I think it's part of my "recharging" for the next 7 months. I'd rather get the bad attitude out of the way before ramping up for Tahoe.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

PerfesserR, it sounds like you made a wise choice and you and Taz enjoyed a good run.

Stealth! not you too! How's the knee???  About the gym TM, can you take your own portable fan or do they have portable fans available? Before I got my TM, I spent a few snowy months running at the Y on their TM, which also faced a wall. They had portable fans and I just appropriated one of those. I can only imagine the scene otherwise -  Wet Floor signs in placeClown from all the sweat I'd be streaming.

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

The knee is tough. After 3 surgeries and countless falls over the years it has to be. The right knee always lands first. Always. These aren't running falls. Just walking. DH just helps me up and we keep going.

Today was my 4th run since then and I did 3.4 without a walkbreak, so I'm good.

There is one fan on a 12 foot ceiling in the workout room. Until the last few days it was always off because one person didn't want it on. The only way to get it turned on was to call maintenance and wait for them. I thought about a portable fan, but since we are going from low to high humidity lack of air might help me a little.

Russ - I think you still have plenty of long runs to make you feel better coming up soon.

Stealth - Good luck with the move.  I prefer no air flow on my TM.  If I can't have fun outside I want maximum suffering.

Speaking of maximum suffering....My 20 miler this weekend was a little rough.  I was scheduled (I thought) for 20 with 14 at MP and in the end that is what I got, but it was quite the test of wills along the way.  I nearly backed off the pace a couple of times but luckily I seem to really enjoy suffering so I stuck it out.  My new training plan is a little inflexible as far as that goes.  The long run is the only quality run so I didn't know what I would do if I couldn't hold the pace.  When I entered my run in my schedule I then found that I had jumped ahead a week and was only scheduled for 18 with 12 at MP, that might explain my results....hope so anyway.  Now should I do the 18 or 20 next week?  I think everybody knows which I will choose Big grin.

Imminent Catastrophe

Today was a lame attempt at redemption for missing the 50k this weekend. 15, mostly flat. It went well until about the last 4 or so then felt really labored. It was getting warm by then but shouldn't have been that hard. Anyway I got it done and everything seems to be in working order.

I've skipped the 12-hour that I ran last year and will volunteer instead. I still have a bit of a bad attitude so hopefully the fallback will help reset it.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

I still have a bit of a bad attitude

Maybe it's hormonal?Big grin (Jes tryin to help) Hang in there. It'll pass.  I myself have been having a bout of hyper-irritability (if I coulda spit nails yesterday, I certainly would have!), but I think it's fading now.  (good thing too since DH lost his job today Surprised - not the time to be pissy now.)

Imminent Catastrophe

Maybe it's hormonal?Big grin (Jes tryin to help) Hang in there. It'll pass.  I myself have been having a bout of hyper-irritability (if I coulda spit nails yesterday, I certainly would have!), but I think it's fading now.  (good thing too since DH lost his job today Surprised - not the time to be pissy now.)

Oh, no, sorry to hear that. Maybe another dor will open.

Dutchie42

Happy: so sorry your DH lost his job. I'm still waiting to hear whether I have a job. One secretary has already been told that she's lost her job. And we're all waiting to hear if and how many more secretaries will have to go (cost cutting). Had a chat with my boss yesterday who's lost his job. If they go with the "last in first out", then I'll probably be jobless as off April.

Anyways, got a run in this morning, first time in months I managed a 5K.(plus a bit extra). Woohoo!

Dutchie
                        Run the day, or the day runs you.

HappyFeat

Maybe another door will open.

This is my hope. I also hope it will be one that he is happier with than the last job.

Dutchie42

First doggie run of the year. First outdoor run of the year. First outdoor run in months!
                            And it showed. Lots of things were annoying me: my HR band, the wind was giving me an ear ache, the leashes were annoying, I had to pull up my tights so often I stopped and tightened it up with the cord, the gentle leader was tinkling, arghhhhh. Sunrise was lovely though. Even saw rabbits. Guess the weather has been too mild so far.
                            Spike slowed me down a bit. Not by much though. Think I need new shoes!

Dutchie

Dutchie42

Here's my latest food fad: chia drink

1/2 - 1 tbs of chia seeds
                              10 oz of water
                              Stir regularly until it's start to gel. Leave it for 10 minutes. Add lime or lemon juice and as much agave syrup (or honey) as you like. Stir.... very very nice.

Apparently, you can also have it in your tea. So tomorrow, I'm gonna try it with my mint tea.

I came across chia seeds when I first made an incredibly healthy gluten free chia/quinoa bread a few weeks ago. Since I had a whole bag of the chia seeds and only used a little I googled it fo rmore recipies. As a drink, it seems to be very healthy and an energy booster. Good before your early morning run or as an healthy afternoon pick me up. I'm gonna experiment with that.

Dutchie

I ran the marathon! Actually it was technically an ultra, by a mile or so. And it was a trail marathon, with 1034 m elevation gain, across hills and valleys and streams and bushes! And I even finished 5th (in 22 participants)!

But HappyFeat was right: I wasn't properly trained. The first 30 km were fine, then things got a bit harder, but the final 4 mile were impossible! There was pain everywhere, I was running really SLOW. And it wasn't fun at all. It was so hard that I think I'll never run another marathon in my life! (Then again, I thought the same at the end of my first half-marathon...)

Well, cheers!

Ze