2000Km-1243 mile club

January 2013 (Read 220 times)

HappyFeat

Sounds like a tough go today for us so far - me included and I haven't gone running yet. While doing a yoga spinal twist stretch yesterday morning, I managed to rotate one of my low back vertebrae and it is causing my hip and leg muscles to be tightened up and my back to hurt.  I got a massage yesterday but it didn't help much. She couldn't budge it although she could feel the abnormality.  I've done my yoga workout and am going running to see if it will help sort it out.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Ze - glad you survived - I'm sure you'll try another marathon once the ole memory fades...

Dutchie - what does chia taste like?

and Happy -  don't overdo it! I tend to run/ stomp when I'm stressed and sometimes that can aggravate a minor injury. How about a hot bath and glass of red wine/ hot chocolate later...

Just getting through my scheduled runs, working through the weekend. Now nap time before a Saturday night date with the hub.

Happy weekend, A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

and Happy -  don't overdo it! I tend to run/ stomp when I'm stressed and sometimes that can aggravate a minor injury. How about a hot bath and glass of red wine/ hot chocolate later...

You're so wise, Ayola. I'll heed your advice.

Imminent Catastrophe

Dutchie - what does chia taste like?

I can answer that--it doesn't taste like anything.

I grind up the chia and flax seed and put it in smoothies. Also on race days as soon as I wake up I have a big drink of sportsdrink with chia mixed in, I think it slows the absorption and doesn't mess with my blood sugar levels as much.

I haven't been "right" lately, just kind of tired and listless and unmotivated. ANyway today's 9 fit right into that theme, it was really not fun and felt really hard. These things come in cycles, hopefully I'll snap out of it soon. I might have a slight touch of flu.

MTA: Crap, I'm behind the bunny too!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Ze - Great job on the marathon!  Sounds like you really gritted it out in the end.  You must be so proud of yourself for working through the tough finish.  The marathon can definitely be cruel, but it can also be much more fun.  A little better prep next time and it can be so much different.  Give it a little time and you will be ready to try again.

Happy - Yoga is supposed to make you feel better.  I think you might have been doing it wrong Smile.  I hope you feel better soon.  Going for a run has a way of fixing my back pains.

A and Russ -  Just a couple more months and we can get some longer, warmer days.  Seems like I'm just getting through my runs right now too.

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Hi everyone! Here's to hoping that  all job situations, back stuff, and blahs are resolved soon.

As for me....I'm behind the bunny. The running is improving, but I'm getting xrays on the arm on Tuesday. That will be 3 weeks after the fall. I still can't put pressure on the elbow area without some discomfort. I have full use of the arm and range of motion in the elbow or I would have gone earlier. I have been anti medication for a long time and I've been popping aleve for 2 weeks.

Did I say that I was an RN for 24 years? That might be why I really dislike hospitals/doctors/medicine.

HappyFeat

A half mile from the end of my 12-miler today, I got a call from DH saying he'd cut a fingertip off on the table saw and we'd need to go to the ER as soon as I got home. Delightful. Missed my cooldown walk and after run snack, but thankfully he only cut the pad off the middle finger and sliced into the index finger. The bone and nail are intact. All's well than ends well, right? For my run - it went alright. My back hurt a bit towards the end, my muscles were not as loose as I'd like, but not as bad as I feared. It was a lot colder than I expected. There were some icy patches and I skated around a couple times; but I took it easy and am happier for the run.

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Ouch.

It's a good thing you got that run in. Maybe it will help you deal with everything else happening today.

Dutchie42

Happy: men should not come near something like a table saw. Way too dangerous Joking Glad to hear it turned out better than it sounded.

I was soooo not in the mood for a run this morning and procrastinated my way to 6h30 before finally hopping on the TM. Only to find that my run felt effortless and fun.

7 min R @ 9K / 30 sec W
                    repeat 3 times
                    and finish with a sprint:
                    1 min R @ 9K
                    1 min R @ 9.5K
                    1 min R @ 10K
                    1 min R @ 10.5K

Dutchie
                    Run the day, or the day runs you.

HappyFeat

I don't think my treadmill motor will hang on much longer. It kept stopping suddenly tonight - about 10 times every mile. The sudden stops were nearly enough to toss me off the belt a couple times and made me break into a sweat and heart rate shoot up every time.I didn't feel tip-top today anyway and it got to where felt like if I kept running, I'd throw up! I threw in the towel after about 3 miles.

Now we just have to figure out how to get the motor out of the TM - with DH's mangled fingers and my help. The motor weighs 35 lbs!  My local machine shop says they can fix it for about $100 which is not too bad I thought since a new motor is about $400.

The good news is my trail running friend has resurfaced and we are heading for the hills on Saturday morning!!!!

Imminent Catastrophe

I was soooo not in the mood for a run this morning and procrastinated my way to 6h30 before finally hopping on the TM. Only to find that my run felt effortless and fun.

I realize it sounds whiny but I'm still in a funk. Ran 6 in frigid Chicago but it really felt much harder than it should have, then was in El Paso and there was NOWHERE to run. Usually I can find a place but it's at the airport and there are no sidewalks or shoulders, I went about a half mile and gave up. I'm still not right. Meh.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

I'm still in a funk. I'm still not right. Meh.

Well that's no fun!  Has this ever happened to you before? Is it like burn-out? Are you "cooked?" Feel pressured by goals? Sounds like you may feel "pushed" and are not happy about it. Maybe ultrarunners need longer bigger breaks within their year. It has to be a huge mental effort to run 100 miles!  Maybe only do runs that are fun like doggie-runs or especially scenic runs. Maybe go out every day, but only for short runs. Why you were drawn to running in the first place? Think about that to rekindle your interest?  Forcing yourself to be disciplined to run might backfire, but on the other hand it might not - you might fall back into the habit.  I am rambling and likely not being helpful. Hope you and your avatar are right side up soon.

Dutchie - Nice run.  good to see you getting back in the groove.

Russ - I'm sure you will turn the corner soon.

Not much going on here.  Just trying to get my weekly mileage up where it should be.   I'm struggling to have enough hours in the week to get my runs in.  The long runs are going well it's just the runs during the week (after work) that are eluding me.

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

I went through a phase like that last year - from April to July(ish). I stopped logging my miles and that actually helped. I still ran every day but I dropped any sort of long run and ran as much as I felt like and at whatever pace. I still wore my Garmin so when I was ready to get back to something more structured I was able to upload all my miles and know where I was for the year. I don't know if that would help you or make you nuts but I helped me to run for the sake of running and not worry about anything else. somtimes I miss my days of no logging Smile

Well that's no fun!  Has this ever happened to you before? Is it like burn-out? Are you "cooked?" Feel pressured by goals? Sounds like you may feel "pushed" and are not happy about it. Maybe ultrarunners need longer bigger breaks within their year. It has to be a huge mental effort to run 100 miles!  Maybe only do runs that are fun like doggie-runs or especially scenic runs. Maybe go out every day, but only for short runs. Why you were drawn to running in the first place? Think about that to rekindle your interest?  Forcing yourself to be disciplined to run might backfire, but on the other hand it might not - you might fall back into the habit.  I am rambling and likely not being helpful. Hope you and your avatar are right side up soon.

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

Imminent Catastrophe

Happy,

You are absolutely right, I am flirting with burnout. And you are, as always, being quite helpful. Thing is, I foresaw this in December and planned a recovery period, didn't run much for the last few weeks, but apparently it wasn't enough, combined with the flu (DW had a brief but intense case and I think I had a mild case).

The run-up to my 100 last year was really taxing, and a huge emotional investment. I was going full-tilt for 10 months, then I had the BQ race in December. So I knew I needed some rest, both physical and emotional.

Anyway, today was something of a comeback. I drove up to Chickamauga National Military Park, probably my very favorite road place to run, and got in a nice 26.2 mile run. A decisive Civil War battle took place there in 1863, That place is so beautiful, with the statues and monuments and cannons and such. I didn't plan on doing exactly 26.2 but that's what Garmin said as I ran up to my car. Sure, I was tired, and legs were somewhat fatigued, but I was amazed by how good I felt (considering) at the end. Tomorrow I will volunteer at a race that I ran last year and actually won! So I am surrendering my title but the RD is a really cool guy and I'm glad to be helping him out.