2000Km-1243 mile club

January 2013 (Read 220 times)

HappyFeat

Many of the yoga DVD's just skip the basics and give you a decent routine and if you don't take the time to learn the basics you probably end up doing a lot of things wrong.

Yep - that's me - got my trusty yoga video about 8 years ago - love it!  and have supplemented with some stretches and poses I've come across - all without realizing there are "basics" I was missing.  I'm getting a lot out of the little instructional videos at yogajournal.com

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Jeff - I did get outside today -5*C and clear no wind for 10k, great sunrise! Yay!! My limit is -10*C.

I don't mind the gym itself, pretty friendly, all ladies (boys are stinky) just the boredom and repetitive motion of the TM. Plus I'm anti-ice since I fractured my elbow 5 years ago slipping outside. Now I have a built in barometer. 

Happy Higdon, A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Well, I was supposed to do 30 today, but with only one day off I just didn't have time, and I got a late start. I did manage 22 on a great 3.75-mile loop trail. The last couple of loops were really, really hard, I bonked and could barely manage anything faster than a walk without a really hard effort. Anyway, I got 'er done, kind of.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Well, I was supposed to do 30 today, but with only one day off I just didn't have time, and I got a late start. I did manage 22 on a great 3.75-mile loop trail. The last couple of loops were really, really hard, I bonked and could barely manage anything faster than a walk without a really hard effort. Anyway, I got 'er done, kind of.

You deserve an award for such a hard workout!  Now it might just be my ignorance showing, but I'm honestly mystified as to how you could pop off and run 30 miles easily without a base of regular day-after-day running to support it. Is it a fitness that holds with year after year of intermittent long distance efforts?

Imminent Catastrophe

Yes, I've discovered that the endurance I gained last year really stayed with me. I have been running 15-30 mile weeks so it's not like I was doing nothing. But my legs still felt fine after that run, I think I just started too fast and bonked.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Yes, I've discovered that the endurance I gained last year really stayed with me.

Well - more power to you - that's great!

I've facing down a tempo run tonight...after none for a couple weeks...feeling quite disinterested in trying to run faster right now...must remind myself of my goals....whatever those are....oh yeah, a 10K PB sometime this year for starters....

MTA: Well, I did it....but I didn't enjoy it. I've already decided I'm not doing it next week... with the Sunday 25K trail "race" as my excuse.

HappyFeat

I finally dropped my experimental marathon training plan.  It just wasn't a good fit for me.  I've switched to the Hal Higdon Boston plan.  The extremely difficult long runs were just wearing me out.  Now I'm back to the more traditional easy long runs with speed work seperate.

With experience comes wisdom, right? Sounds like you are making a wise choice here. Good luck with the rest of your Boston training.

With tonight's run (which I had to start at 8:30 p.m. because of work and then having to cook dinner since my wife was working) I went over 200 miles for the month.  Big milestone for me; surpassing my previous best month by 25 miles. 2 more big weekends and then a 2 week taper to New Orleans at the end of Feb.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

HappyFeat

With tonight's run (which I had to start at 8:30 p.m. because of work and then having to cook dinner since my wife was working) I went over 200 miles for the month.  Big milestone for me; surpassing my previous best month by 25 miles. 2 more big weekends and then a 2 week taper to New Orleans at the end of Feb.

That's a huge accomplishment and quite a jump up in mileage. Glad your training is going so well.

I went over 200 miles for the month.  

I was just looking at the YTD distance page and noticed your near dominance of the board.  Very nice work.  I'm sure the base mileage will pay huge dividends for New Orleans.

200 miles is awesome!

Recalculating...

I was just looking at the YTD distance page and noticed your near dominance of the board.  Very nice work.  

'Cause I was chasing you all month. Every day I'd think this would be the day I'd move in to second, but just couldn't catch.  Gave me some extra motivation to be consistent with 6 days a week.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013