2000Km-1243 mile club

in pursuit of Boston and other great April runs and races (Read 15 times)

Dutchie42

Good luck Perfesser, you can do it!

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Finished the week with a 12 miler, finally felt good with a steady pace - took some concentration at the beginning but I had a pretty even split. Very relieved and I got some sunshine.

Have a great time at Big Sur, Perfesser... I would love to travel to all of the places you race. Happy Sunday, A

Recalculating...

Finished the Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon with a 4:09:56, trimming a little over 2 minutes off my PR and beating my goal of 4:10.  Great day for racing: temps in the 50's, overcast, little wind, no rain (unlike Nashville which got swamped, apparently).  Ran a pretty well-managed race. Plan was to do the first mile at 10:00, then run 9:30's the rest of the way and actually stuck to that the whole way for the most part  There is a significant climb (150 ft over .75 miles) around mile 12 and I survived that with no problem, felt great at 20 and was starting to pick people off very regularly.  Another climb at mile 22 (100 ft over .75 miles) that almost did me in.  Had to walk the top third (which I'm not ashamed about at all), but my calf/achilles problem finally flared up for real and really had to cut back my effort.  The last 6 miles were 9:18 (flat), 9:38(flat/up), 10:03 (up), 9:59 (up/flat), 9:10 (downhill) and 9:32 (flat).  I'm claiming victory for running my last mile at race average pace plus the only walking I did, other than at water stops, was that little stretch of hill.

I can highly recommend the race:

• The course isn't easy, but it isn't hard either.  Other than the two big climbs (which have corresponding descents) it is essentially flat the whole way.  Most of the time I thought we were running downhill.
        • Everything was very well organized: very smooth start, plenty of water stops (although hard to spot at times), plenty of food at the end (which was a complaint from last year)
        • Even though it is run in conjunction with a half-marathon, there were plenty of marathoners around me. More than in Nashville or New Orleans for sure.  Also, there is a three mile stretch where we rejoin the marathoners (our mile 18, their 8.5) and they had gates and cones to divide the road so half-marathoners stayed on one side and marathoners on the other so no dodging packs of walkers.
        • Louisville turns out to be a great city to visit.  We found plenty of great places to eat, plenty of free or cheap parking.  There wasn't much crowd support, but where is there?

Now, to anxiously await Russ's report.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

HappyFeat

YAY BRIAN!!!  NEW PR!!! Thanks for the detailed report. Don't think I'm not taking notes. Someday I may get there too.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Imminent Catastrophe

That was memorable. Beautiful course on a beautiful day. It's rolling hills until a tough 2-mile climb at mile 10, complete with fierce headwind (now I know why this is called Hurricane Point), quad-pounding down to the famous bridge at the halfway point with the pianist playing there. So far so good, but about mile 18 we hit a series of nasty rolling hills that just went on forever, a lot of the road was steeply cambered. That lasted to the finish and I was wiped. It was nice to have a special tent for Boston 2 Big Sur runners. Overall probably the toughest road marathon I've run, right up there with Crater Lake. So I ran about 3:50:30, and I'm very pleased with that on this course.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Way to go Russ!  Big Sur is on my short list.  Everything you said confirms what I've heard from others; hard and rewarding.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

HappyFeat

Nice touch.

Great job, Russ!!  From the photos on the web, the course looks Gorgeous!!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dutchie42

Woohoo, us Dutch have our first King in 120 years ! Let's party  Clown  wear orange, eat orange, drink orange.

http://londonist.com/2013/04/koninginnedag-2013-celebrate-the-dutch-throne-exchange.php

Dutchie
                  Run the day, or the day runs you.