2000Km-1243 mile club

December 2012 (Read 251 times)

Ran in a "6K" (it was really 3.6 miles) on Saturday. Pretty big event with about 600 runners split between the 6K and a 12K (two loops of the 6K course).  Because the a)the field was skewed very young and b)the vast majority of the "master" runners ran the 12K I wound up as third overall in male masters; my first running award of any kind.  There were even prizes: a pint glass made of silicon, a pair of Swiftwick socks and a coupon for a free popsicle.  As they say, you gotta know how to pick your spots.

While I did take advantage of a weak field, it was, in terms of pace, my second fastest race ever (7:35).  Not bad considering a)I planned on running around 8:45 and b)I stopped at a water stop just past halfway because I was worried that I was hurting my leg and figured I would just jog the rest of the way before sucking it up and seeing if I could hold it together to the finish.

Hope everyone's December is off to a good start.  Finish strong.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Running Rev'd

I was at that race too! Ran the "12K" (good to hear someone else say it was short because my GPS watch clocked it at 7.24 miles), and then went to the beer festival afterwards. Quite a hilly course, which I should've known since I used to live over there. With Rocket City Marathon next week, my goal was just to keep my pace under 10:00/mile, which I did averaging 9:27/mile for the course. I had quite a few friends running it, so it was fun to see people on the out-and-backs. Glad you had a good race!

Called to Endure - Blog

"Everyone gets the sunset. Only the dedicated earn the sunrise."

Brian/Kira - Great race for both of you.  Brian, nice loot.

Things are finally getting back to normal here.  My long work days are over and DW is doing great.  I'm just trying to get my mileage up for the next couple of months.  My goal of 1500 miles for the year is well within reach.  The unseasonbly warm weather around here has been making it easier. 

HappyFeat

Drphibes and Kira: Sounds like you both had very good races this past weekend. "Second fastest ever" Brian! Whoo Hooo! That's huge! Congratulations!

Glad to hear the dust is settling for you, Jeff. It'll be a nice reward to be able to reach your 1500 mileage goal.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Jeff - I'm so glad you wife is recovering! Have a great time spending some extra time on yourself - running...

It is unusually warm - over 0*C here in Canada. Tomorrow we are scheduled for above 10 , sounds like shorts for a 6 miler...

Happy Tuesday, A

Recalculating...

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Hi everyone! I am currently working my way up to 35 mpw so I can start training for a half in early April. I haven't picked a plan yet so suggestions are welcome. I'm a super slow runner so there are no real time goals involved but I would like to feel good about my race. I'm headed to Hawaii next week so I will take a slight mileage hit but there will be lots of hiking so I'm sure I will survive :-)

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

I was at that race too! Ran the "12K" (good to hear someone else say it was short because my GPS watch clocked it at 7.24 miles), and then went to the beer festival afterwards. Quite a hilly course, which I should've known since I used to live over there. With Rocket City Marathon next week, my goal was just to keep my pace under 10:00/mile, which I did averaging 9:27/mile for the course. I had quite a few friends running it, so it was fun to see people on the out-and-backs. Glad you had a good race!

Hey, I went to the beer festival also!  Offering race packages that included festival tickets was a genius idea for getting an inaugural race off to a roaring start.  

The course was hillier than I expected, but other than Shelby or MetroCenter, what isn't around Nashville? Very scenic and fun to run in a different neighborhood.  Great job coming in 30 seconds under goal pace.  Good luck resting up for Saturday.

Summer in NZ, been raining all week and I have had a cold.  Brilliant.

Finally dry on Saturday morning, so bolted out the door.  Still full of snots, but I believe running helps clear that up.

Unfortunately mileage is a bit down this week.  Need a big push to get ahead of the bunny by the end of the year.  May even have to run Christmas day.  Probably best if I do that before I hit the beers and light up the barbecue.

Great to hear about the race drphibes and kmay. A beer festival after a race???? What a great idea.

Have a good weekend all. Enjoy Hawaii DGF.  Enjoy the cold 'A', Good luck with your goal Heffa.

What you doing Happy? Anything big planned?

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

What you doing Happy? Anything big planned?

In about an hour, I'm going to have another shot at running 16 miles with my two marathon trainers. They are going for 20. We'll be on the paved bike trail today since they want to get some road-hardening miles in. I've got to get ready, but will check in later.  I'm not sure this isn't a mistake, given some ongoing pyriformis and low back issues. I'm hoping a slow pace will keep any problems in check.

Imminent Catastrophe

In Tucson for tomorrow's marathon and the weather is beautiful, low 40's to high 50's, not a cloud in the sky. 

Today is the Western States lottery, odds are about 7% so I'm not holding my breath, but I'll be able to make plans for next Summer afterward. Tahoe is calling me back!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I reached 2000 km yesterday, on a tempo run! I had planned on finishing in November but life (and a bad cold) got in the way. But it's ok. This is my very best running year ever.

In October, some sports students at the local university took me as their "pet" when they noticed this older man running regularly on "their" track (also, some years ago I lectured a course on physics for sports students; some of these guys were my students then). They got me on doing tempo runs and (horrible) interval sessions. Their coach (not much older then the rest of the guys) even writes me a weekly plan (which I more or less try to follow)! They often join me on my runs and I quite enjoy their company. But they are much stronger then me... Like yesterday. After a week not running, I had planned on going easy, just for 6 km or so. But I met one of these guys and went along with him for thirteen kms, way too fast for me. "It's just a stroll...", he said! I don't know why they invite me to join then. In the end of each group run, I also don't know why I accepted. But now I'm at home, rested, and I look at it as having been fun. And I think I'm already running faster then I used to!

Tomorrow I'll hit the trails with another friend that started mountain running after watching me run and hearing me talk about it. It'll also be fun!

Good runs, everyone!

And count me in for next year!

Imminent Catastrophe

A great weekend for me and DW. I haven't posted much here lately so this will make up for it.

We traveled to Arizona for the Tucson Marathon. I grew up there and it's a fast course so I was hoping to qualify for Boston 2014 (already in for 2013) with a 3:40, my goal was 3:35 (so I can register early for Boston in the BQ-5 time group with a better chance of getting in before it fills), I ran a 3:37 there in 2007 but since I hurt my achilles tendon in October and haven't really been able to train very well I really was not sure how ready I was for this race. 

We got together and went ice skating (yes, ice skating outdoors in Phoenix) with my sister and nephews. Drove down to Tucson Friday, got our packets and met my online coach Sean IRL for the first time. Nice guy.

Saturday in Tucson we went to a street fair (which was great) and ate street fair food, which is really rolling the dice the day before a goal marathon, but it was stir-fry noodles and veggies, perfect carb-loading food so long as you don't get food poisoning. We didn't.

Sunday, the weather was ideal, 40°, clear desert skies. I ran along using my heart rate monitor as a limiter and did well until halfway when I had an intestinal crisis and had to duck into a portajohn. The first one I picked was nasty as someone had pooped right on the seat. Anyway I lost 2 or 3 minutes there and went on. I had passed the 3:40 pacer about mile 4 but he passed me again while I was in the loo, and 3:40 was my FAIL point. So he became my nemesis. I passed him again but he caught me as I had to remove a pebble in my shoe and again when I had to make another pit stop. By mile 18 I was having a hard time trying to keep up with him, we kept playing catchup, and by mile 21 I realized that 3:40 (my FAIL goal) was in peril and 3:35 was still possible with a hard effort. I just couldn't shake that guy. So I pulled out my rocket fuel (Starbucks Espresso Doubleshot) . That did the trick, I took off and left that annoying 3:40 pacer behind. The last couple miles were tough with some uphills so it was really, really hard. By the time I hit the Mile 26 marker I knew I had done it, and there was Sean to give me a high-5. I crossed the finish at 3:33:37, good enough for the minus-5 category for Boston 2014. 

Afterward I saw Bob,  who paced me at Rio Del Lago, he had run the race after my recommendation, and he PR'ed by 3 seconds! Then Sean stopped by and we had a nice long talk. 

A great weekend overall. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

What a great story, PerfesserR and congratulations on surpassing your goal!

What was your result in the WS100 lottery?

HappyFeat

I reached 2000 km yesterday, on a tempo run! I had planned on finishing in November but life (and a bad cold) got in the way. But it's ok. This is my very best running year ever.

Good runs, everyone!

And count me in for next year!

Congratulations on beating the bunny and having such a great year of running. Look forward to sharing next years' miles with you.

Great recap, Russ.  Congrats on the fast time.