2000Km-1243 mile club

December 2012 (Read 251 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

8 miles along the lakefront in frosty Chicago today, with a stiff north wind. I was doing OK until a rogue wave caught me and drenched me from head to toe with icy Lake Michigan water. So that gave me incentive to run really hard before I froze. And now my shoes are wringing wet for the next 3 days on the road.

MTA: I also realized that gore-tex shoes are of no help if you are in knee-deep water. In fact they are worse because they don't drain.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Whaaat!? A rogue wave from a lake would be so totally unexpected!! Can you get a hair dryer or roll them in towels and press some of the water out or get some newspapers to stuff in the shoes?

I think I'm going to veer off my usual weekly running plan and ease up until the New Year. My left arch strain seems to want to stage a comeback along with other unhappy muscles and tendons from waist to toes. I've run my highest mileage year to date and would prefer it to end on a good note, not disaster. 

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Pretty much no running this week - work crunch before vacation. Now I'm safely in Labrador! We had a lovely 5k trail walk around Jean Lake yesterday and today off to the cabin after lunch.

Any thoughts on how to post a photo? I have no idea how to get a image from my phone to my Picassa account or some other URL...

Take care everyone, stay dry and rest up. I'm spending this quiet snowy morning surfing for adaptable training plans for 2013, A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Ayola, here's a link from the Tech Support board on how to insert a photo into an RA post:

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/fab42f0eb85e4873800b7f1cfa39ab20/0

I use Flickr.com, put my pics there and then link to RA. I think you can do it from Picassa, but have no experience with that.

I'll be heading out for a hopefully "easy" 8-miler on the paved bike trail today after a yoga workout. I can't slack off too much or all the holiday treats  will ruin my girlish figureClown

The holiday snacks are definitely catching up to me here.  Perfect timing for my 18 miler today.  Time to burn off some cookies.  We went out for DW's birthday yesterday to a fancy French restaurant and I also have some butter to work off.

A - I am starting to suspect you may be Santa Claus.  Everytime I here from you, you are closer to the North Pole.  Coincidence?????

Happy - I wondered how long the running break would last.  Take that 8 super easy.

Russ -  You dried out yet?

HappyFeat

IKR?!Blush Yes, well since my LR minimum is 10 miles, I thought 8 was "easing up." I ended up running it on the TM with the idea that if it didn't feel good, I could stop (yeah, RIGHT!).  It went alright, but today's run outside at a comfortable easy pace was quite a lot slower. I can't not run if I'm not injured. I just feel like I need to skip the extra long or tempo runs and run basic easy runs for a bit.

Sounds like you treated your wife to a very nice birthday celebration, Jeff.  How did your 18-miler feel?  You really run those long runs fast!

Sounds like you treated your wife to a very nice birthday celebration, Jeff.  How did your 18-miler feel?  You really run those long runs fast!

Dinner was fantastic.  I could really get used to eating like that.

My 18 miler went great.  This is my first time using my current training plan.  It basically calls for all the shorter runs to be slow and the long run is the only quality run.  Two thirds of the long run at MP.  The long runs have been much more challenging then in my other training plans.

Dutchie42

Happy: just focus on Xmas and ease up on the running Wink

Heffa: sounds like a lovely dinner with the wife.

Nothing special to report. Was in school all day on Saturday and Sunday was crazy busy with Xmas stuff Roll eyes Every year I tell myself that next year, it'll be different, but somehow it never is. This year I had a crazy busy week at work then school got in the way, sigh.

Dutchie
                  Run the day, or the day runs you.

I am not Santa, but we  may be close friends. Happy Christmas, A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Merry Christmas Eve, everyone!
                      Ayola- What a treat to open up the thread and see your photo! That’s just beautiful!!
                      Dutchie – I hope you get to relax and enjoy yourself over Christmas Day.
                      Jeff – Do you feel like this training plan suits you better than others you’ve done?

Merry Christmas all.  Still busy racing that bunny to the very end....it's gonna be close

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

You could totally do this, Puke!!! Go for it! I'd come with you, but I'm over here.Roll eyes

Jeff – Do you feel like this training plan suits you better than others you’ve done?

The jury is still out on that.  I like the simplicity of this plan but it is not as fun as other plans I've done.  I really enjoy the shorter 6 to 8 mile quality runs and in order to get everything out of the long quality runs you have to really take it easy the rest of the week.  Of course I'm finding my times to throw in some fun runs so it is working well.

Are you still on your same plan with tempo runs?

HappyFeat

Are you still on your same plan with tempo runs?

Yes - the once a week tempo plan? - except "the plan" has been on hold for the last week or so because of a variety of leg complaints. I thought I should just run easy for a bit until things sort themselves out. I get worried though that I'll lose my ability to do tempos and long runs with too long a "rest."   I'm planning on running 12 tomorrow - that ought to reassure me.  Then I just heard about a 10K on New Years Day - might run that and see if I have any pep in my legs.  I think/hope we will have a second annual St. Patrick's  Day 10K and I'll be shooting for that in terms of a new 10K PR. My tempo pace for training will be 8:34 on the TM or 8:30 on the road. So far I've only kissed that speed - on my last tempo - ran it for four 1/4 mile reps.   March 17 is actually only 2 1/2  months away, so I'm not sure it's doable; but it's a good goal.

HappyFeat

You could totally do this, Puke!!! Go for it! I'd come with you, but I'm over here.Roll eyes

Okay - I saw what you did there Puke!!! All in one day??? Can I get some details? Congratulations on beating the bunny - ALL IN ONE DAY!  No messin' around, no sirree! Awesome! That's gotta feel good.