2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check in 11Jan - 17 Jan (Read 395 times)

Dutchie42

Gosh Trey, are races always that expensive? Or does that include hotel expenses etc.?

Another run inspired by the 1st week of the London Marathon training schedule for me today:
    10 min @ 9K, struggling
    20 min @ 9.5K, struggling even more
    2 min walk break, really needed it. Had 2 fructrose tablets and water
    20 min @ 9.5K, struggled on, but after about 15 minutes, I caught myself smiling and enjoying myself, running smoothly!
    8 min @ 9.5K instead of 9K cause I was just flyin' and
    4:23 min @ 10K to finish strong
    Totalling 64:23 minutes = 10 kilometers. Woohoo.

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

...---...

Gosh Trey, are races always that expensive? Or does that include hotel expenses etc.?

That's just Disney - everything is more expensive. I did get 3 long sleeve running shirts and 2 disposable cameras. There were a ton of aid stations too - more than I've ever seen. There were, in addition to water and powerade everywhere, 2 stations served bananas, 2 had gels, and one with candy (little bite sized candy bars). 

I think the marathon alone was $125. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Trey - Congrats on being Goofy.  I mean completing Goofy.  Great job!

I finally got some pretty good news today.  I just had my third PT appt and we discovered a rather significant (3cm) leg length discrepancy.  I guess you can call that good news.  At least we might have a root cause for my problems.  I got an orthodic to put in my shoe.  It feels rather weird at the moment but I guess I will get used to it.  I went for a very slow/short jog just to see how it felt.  I'm not sure if it's the core strength training or the orthodic but it was darn near pain free as long as I really focused on keeping my pelvis just right.  It's the first bit of encouraging results I've had so I am very excited!

Imminent Catastrophe

Heffa, I'm glad you found a root cause. I have a fairly pronounced scoliosis and I guess that causes a lot of my problems.

I eked out 4.3 slow miles today, it was nice to run outdoors again but not a very good run.

That makes 16 miles for 2010, that's over a mile per day!

Can I get a 365-mile club pace bunny?

MTA: Taz is now trained to stop at 4 spins. Hope that helps.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

MTA: Taz is now trained to stop at 4 spins. Hope that helps.

He's very quiet now, won't he get bored?

Dutchie

HappyFeat

Heffa: I'm glad you might have the source of your problem sorted out. If it's a leg length issue, I wonder why it only recently started causing you trouble?

PerfessorRuss: Glad you're on the mend. Back pain is no fun. I've had a good year, but the previous year lost a lot of miles due to that.  It can be sooo  discouraging.  Keep up the good work, taking it easy and all - you'll get there. If it makes you feel better, your "slow run" is a lot faster than mine. It's all relative, I know!

I skipped running last night - one of my 2 planned weekly rest days and did a workout with weights instead with just a little twinge in that left shoulder.  Hope to begin adding distance on Saturdays to build a "long run" (again all relative for you who run so much farther that I feel silly saying so).  We'll see how it goes. The knot in my lateral right calf is back, but I'm working on that and plan to run slow.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

...---...

extremely-stupid-slow recovery jog today - about 2.5...to knock the rust off.

MTA - and there's a lot of rust!

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Dutchie42

Trey: slow and easy can be a good thing

Heffa: that's good news that you've found a possible root cause for your problems.

Did a most wonderful 7 kilometer steady state run on the TM @9K/h. Followed by a longish happy dance (a.o. mambo #5) cause the cd I was running on hadn't finished yet. I was just filled to the brim with endorfines, I tell ye
                  Added on a plyo w/o: STS Plyo legs, skipping the w.u. Didn't think I needed it. Added a couple of stretches of my own after the w/o. Ahhhh, those wonderful endorfines.

Dutchie

...---...

Jeff - sounds promising. Keep us updated. I have (and have had) similar issues with the ab/groin area hurting. My PT last year said my pelvis was out of wack too. Cross training has managed to keep the worst at bay.

I had been thinking about finding a marathon somewhere in Feb and/or March but I think I'll hit the gym more instead - I'd hate to miss out on the April ultras. 

Crabby and others thinking about San Fran - I'm on the verge of just signing up now. 

Brian/Russ - I'm also thinking about doing Goofy again. These two marathons have been awesome compared to the other 2. Expensive yes, but what a GREAT time.

Russ - how's everything looking?

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

I'm on the right

One trip and I'm behind the bunny already.  I thought I had a bit more a lead.  That sucker moves fast when you aren't looking.  Time for a long run when I get back tomorrow and hopefully close the gap.  Besides, I need a longer run about now.  Half-marathon coming up in two weeks....I'd like to post a somewhat respectable time.

I'm Eric, the guy who runs to keep his sanity.

...---...

eric - I'm interested in the Silver Comet 10K. However, I have a travel to run rule where the distance to drive can't take longer than the run or race. please share your experience with that one when it's over.

Best of luck in the half coming up.

Also - considering the ING 13.1 Atlanta in March. 

No running today - sick, a little fever with chest congestion, running nose, and coughing. Stinks cause is fairly warm today. Sometimes, we just need a day on the couch watching movies. 

I want to say THANKS! to everyone for your comments and support for pre and post Goofy. This is a great group!

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

HappyFeat

Trey, maybe your body is just telling you that you need some extra TLC after Goofy. 

Today is simply gorgeous here. I went running on the bike trail and added a mile to my "long run" making it 7 miles. I decided to relax and enjoy the run by not monitoring my pace as I went along. I took four 1-minute walk breaks and otherwise cruised along comfortably. Although I was tired at the end, I was singing along with my iPod on the last mile.Still have the left hamstring catch, and right calf trigger point, but my slow pace kept them both happy too. I plan to add a mile every Saturday until I get to 10 miles. Then I think I'll stay there for a couple weeks or so and see how I feel before another series of increases.

Imminent Catastrophe

eric - I'm interested in the Silver Comet 10K. However, I have a travel to run rule where the distance to drive can't take longer than the run or race. please share your experience with that one when it's over.

Best of luck in the half coming up.

I've done Silver Comet a few times. It's a really well-run race, fast, with good shirts (you get a choice of colors)  and food. But not particularly interesting, the course is a rails-to-trails path. Not much to look at.

30 minutes elliptical today. I tried a little TM running but the leg was feeling Thursday's run. Buh. I'm close to canceling my entire Spring race calendar 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

...---...

I'm close to canceling my entire Spring race calendar 

Noooooooooooooooooooooo. I really hope things start looking up. Keep positive if you can - good vibes and all that. 

Happy - you're probably right. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

HappyFeat

PerfesserRuss: Have you considered trying massage therapy? for your back and legs? An expert at sports massage can work wonders...much better than DIY. Sometimes your medical insurance will even cover it.