2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check in 11-17 May- (Read 319 times)

Dutchie42

Hi Everyone, Just getting us started cause I've got nothing to report..... Yet..... Probably won't. New week, so make it a good one Big grin

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

...---...

Final visit with physical therapy and the orthopeadists. They think I'm doing fine and have "cut me loose." I'll continue my home/gym regiment or exercises and stretching. Rest day today although I'm considering some cycling (Ugh! hate the bike).

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

I hate the bike too, that's why it's covered with dust. My 18-week marathon training program starts today, we'll see how well I'm able to stay with it. 5 miles with middle 3 @8:27/8:15/8:00 pace. Man, that feels fast, I have lots of training to do.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

AnneCA

Well, my log tells my tale of woe. Something has gone wrong; my on-again off-again variable aches and pains in the right leg took a serious turn for the worse last week. I'm still not sure what it is, whether it's ITB or hamstring, but, whatever it is (it moves around), it hurts like hell when I'm running. I'm stretching, icing, foam rolling, etc., like crazy, and testing it out every now and then. Hoping, hoping, hoping, that it turns out to be some short-term thing. I just don't know what to do. I'm depressed as hell. Is this the end of SF 7/26?

...---...

Anne - my hip/thigh/groin pain moved around too. Are you only hurting during the run? Maybe some therapeutic massage in your pain areas is in order. Ice did nothing for me. Try a little heat. Stretch your glutes plenty if you aren't already. You'll be lining up with me on 7/26 so none of that kind of talk. Just relax. Breathe. Run slow, and flat. Tell me/us more about the pain. MTA: Love the run entry graph labeled "ouch". LOL.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Dutchie42

My legs are apparently still recovering from Sunday's long run. Jeez, it was tough! Cold too: 8C and a pretty strong cold north easterly wind. Nevertheless, it felt nice Wink I seem to get slower and slower lately. Anne: take care of that hip/groin. Have you seen a PT yet?

Dutchie
              Run the day, or the day runs you.

...---...

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Dog-Love

Nice picture of you Trey! I am planning some hills today but am sort of recovering from stomach flu so we shall see. Also have my 4H Running Club after work today which is great fun but I need to find a bit more energy. 20 kids at 20 speeds for trail runs is a hoot.
                  Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Imminent Catastrophe

There seems to be some injury bug going on around here. I hope everyone is getting better. 3.6 today with 1 @7:53

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

...---...

workout - adductor/abductor X's 2 each side; the quads and hammy; light leg presses and calf raises. followed by just under 4 miles - slow and easy.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

AnneCA

Seven this morning. It's possible, perhaps likely, that I am a complete idiot. We'll see. Trey, funny you should mention massage, because I did have a massage yesterday, someone who specializes in "orthopedic massage." I do think it helped, and it wasn't that painful. It included lots of counter-pressure moves, with me pressing against her, working alternate muscle groups. I've got knots, knots, knots, and more knots in my hamstrings, quads, and glutes, and lots of tightness in the IT tract and iliopsoas. Not even sure how I'm able to walk! Wink She wants me to work on strengthening glutes (per some test where you lie on your stomach and raise your leg -- apparently I engaged the hamstrings more than the glutes, which is bad. Or something), but isn't crazy about squats and lunges, which I'm already doing. I'm supposed to do leg raises on all fours. Don't know how to do that weighted, but I guess that's not the point. Next appointment, next week, she's going to look at my technique on the squats and lunges -- she's just worried because she says it's easy to do those in a manner that causes more harm than good. That certainly sounds plausible. So, I'm now in a mental state where I'm picturing the next ten weeks spent teetering on the edge of disaster. Just hope I don't tip over. I can tip over at 11 o'clock on July 26th, that would be fine. But not before.

Imminent Catastrophe

10.5 aerobic run along the mountain creek, I saw one person the whole time! Unfortunately I had another strange muscle pull (this while maintaining a blistering 11:00/mi pace). Angry This time it's my right hamstring. This is getting annoying. Hopefully it'll be OK by Saturday. Anne-Bay to Breakers! I'm jealous, always wanted to do that. Are you running naked? Big grin

...---...

I've got knots, knots, knots, and more knots in my hamstrings, quads, and glutes, and lots of tightness in the IT tract and iliopsoas. Not even sure how I'm able to walk! Wink She wants me to work on strengthening glutes
                            Sounds VERY similar to my situation. My PT has most of the knots worked out of groin/ab area and upper glutes. I think you'll probably start to see significant improvement soon. Strengthening the stabilizer muscles and glutes - plus the focused stretching and deep tissue massaging of the knots - has done wonders for me. Perfesser - when is Deadwood?

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Deadwood is June 7. I'm waiting for my June work schedule to see how many days I have off. Darn the hamstring! I have a massage scheduled Friday, so between that and a couple days off I hope I'm good to go for Twisted Ankle on Saturday.

...---...

Russ - Good luck with twisted ankle. Also, very sorry to hear about Sammy. Let us know what happens - if you feel up to it.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12