2000Km-1243 mile club

August - Hotter Than July? Discuss (Read 544 times)

lefty - congrats!

russ - sorry about the leg, at least these injuries don't have anything to do with us getting older

happy - Good luck with the stress and sleeping thing, I'm sending you positive thoughts and virtual hugs

I have managed to work my way back up to 6 miles for my long run.  The PF and calves are complaining a little with the increase in mileage but the problem areas on my leg/knee are doing well.  I'm still limiting my running to 2 - 3 times a week with the rest as bike and yoga.

HappyFeat

Nice steady progress Jeff - the biking has to be so good for your leg strength, too! 

I've been pretty consistent with yoga lately and it makes such a difference for my back, legs, and running posture.

Thanks for the supportive vibes - going through a rough patch just now - it happens.

Well as usual I've glommed onto the computer instead of getting ready to run! Best get at it. 

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Imminent Catastrophe

Nice 3 miles easy on the TM today with no discomfort in the ankle at all. I'm hopeful that I'm over this ankle thing at last but still being careful!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Perfesser - careful please!

Happy - sometimes I think sleep is my major indicator in whether I'll have a good long run on the weekend, and work stress (or working a million hours per week like Jeff) kills sleep. I hope its getting better - anyways you have an awesome base if you need to take it easy for a week or so.

Going for an easy 3 now and a stretch, tomorrow I'm running in a local 10K. Maybe I'll add a slow 2 miles to that on the way home if I feel OK afterward.

Have a great saturday, A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Good luck in the 10K Ayola - run fast!

I think you're right. Maybe I need to take it easy for a bit. Just in from my Saturday LR. Reduced my planned 16 to 14 because I knew I wasn't up to it. I was pretty much done at the end of 10 miles, but kept going for the rest. I stopped my watch for some walking in the last few, especially the 14th when my right calf up near the back of the knee cramped pretty badly. The cramp eased and I eeked out the last mile. It's in the mid-70's this morning, which is unusual  for here and I got slightly overheated. I stopped three times to let irrigation sprinklers wet me down. Continued marital distress is taking the stuffing outa me as well - so discouraging - and now it's affecting my running. I'm having low confidence that I'll have a good race next month. 

Imminent Catastrophe

Happy--

mid 70's? Waaaaaaahhhhh!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. I know, it's what you're used to. ANyway, hang in there, those bad runs happen and you'll snap back. I've found that I get more from those bad runs than the good ones, in the long run. And those other issues would be a lot harder to deal with if you weren't able to run.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Bad news - still working on that sub 60 minute/ 10K goal... the body just wasn't feeling the fast pace today. I would like to feel more competitive, but I didn't want to stress out with constant pace watching.

Good news - I did run the second lap faster than the first (maybe I could have pushed harder in the beginning?) passed a bunch of folks who started fast and walked at the end - felt like I could have kept going at that pace for another lap easily.

Guess I need to look around for one last local 10K this year, Husband has agreed to run a 5K with me in early October, I was looking for 28-29 minutes - might need to cushion that goal a bit.

Happy Sunday, A

PS Happy - spend some rest time on yourself!

Recalculating...

Tornado - check

Earthquake - check

Hurricane - ?

HappyFeat

Tornado - check

Earthquake - check

Hurricane - ?

on its way I think Big grin

did you feel the quake?

I was at work for the earthquake.  We are about 60 miles south of where it was centered.  We could definitely feel it but it was not violent at all, it was more of a "wavy-wiggly" feeling (that's a technical term),

The hurricane is definitely headed our way.  Fortunately it is already starting to weaken and by the time it hits us tomorrow we are only expecting about 50 mph winds with some stronger gusts.  I've got tons of supplies and a generator ready to go so the a/c will be on and the beer will be cold....so bring it on! 

Sounds like some nasty weather heading towards the east of the US.  Hope everyone stays safe.

Did nothing much all week. Been struggling with a back strain, so taking it easy. Did a short 3.5km run with the kids on Monday.  Then today did a 8km run to the start of the local 1/2 marathon.  Then ran the 1/2 with a time of 1:55.  Then ran 8km home again for a total of 37km. Great half course, mostly rural, with some easy hills in the middle. Scenic.  Did 1 hour for the first 10.5km then 55 for the 2nd.  Sat at the back at the start did a couple of 6min/km, then slowly picked up the pace to 5min/km by the end. Not my fastest 1/2 but enjoyable.

Good run with the 10km Ayola.  Even though you didn't get the sub 60, it sounds like you finished strongly.  Always great feeling to pass people who went out too fast at the start.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm still in limbo, any time I try to up my mileage I start having issues. A couple miles here and there. I had a good run today on the TM, ran 2 then set it to 10% and power hiked another mile. Then I noticed that I recently passed 7000 miles on RA. Whoo-hoo!

HappyFeat

7000 miles since what date, PerfesserR??  Congratulations on that milestone.

I have no doubt you'll be back running on a regular basis before too long. I hate to be the one to say it, but at our age, it takes longer to rehab than we think it should. It's frustrating, I know, believe me.Try just running every other day for a while.

So Jeff, I notice you just ran 7+ miles at 8:30 pace - yay for you! whooo hooo! I'm so impressed.

Couldn't run that fast if my life depended on it!...well maybe...if that were really the case.Joking

(((Puke's back strain))) can't believe you "take it easy" by running  a half-marathon! (again at a pace I can only dream of.) Good for you!

Ran 14 miles today for my Saturday long run....went soooo much better than last week...NO walking, NO leg cramps...about 10:40 avg pace. 

Imminent Catastrophe

Good question. Looks like my first RA log entry was April 2006. I think I'll be optimistic and register for the Pine Mountain 40 miler in December. I had a good run there last year.

Then today did a 8km run to the start of the local 1/2 marathon.  Then ran the 1/2 with a time of 1:55.  Then ran 8km home again for a total of 37km. Great half course, mostly rural, with some easy hills in the middle. Scenic.  Did 1 hour for the first 10.5km then 55 for the 2nd.  Sat at the back at the start did a couple of 6min/km, then slowly picked up the pace to 5min/km by the end. Not my fastest 1/2 but enjoyable.

Hey pukekura, good job right back at you! Marathon next week?

I ran easy this week - I wasn't very sore past Tuesday so I know I didn't make a PR effort last Sunday.

Planning on 9 miles tomorrow - we are told "by the experts" that Irene will miss us and travel to the west over Gaspe, Quebec, so the run tomorrow will just be windy and with light showers OR what is known as typical Halifax weather, no problem.

Take care, A

Recalculating...