2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check-in 1 - 7 March (Read 427 times)

Dutchie42

Hi everyone,

It's a whole new month, and a brand new week, let's make it a good one

I did an UB w/o today and some sort of cardio core w/o. Nice, but I should've eaten before I worked out cause I totally ran out of steam.

DrPhibes: wow, a 19 minute PR. That's huge!

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Dog-Love

I ran 6.25 this afternoon and for some odd reason both my knees really hurt and I had to walk quite a bit.  I did get up super early this am and I did do some power-yoga involving many knee bends but sheesh!  I never feel pain this way.

Have a great week everyone

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Just a dude.

8 tonite that had a good sized hill in the beginning that took my legs out for about 2 miles... but I felt good and finished up strong...

Last week was good... hoping this week is too...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

I'm on day 10 with this stupid head cold.  My wife and son have been up all night coughing the last 4 nights, that's probably why I can't seem to shake this thing.  I need a full nights sleep!  I'm going to try to run after work today but I don't know if I'll have enough energy.

*drphibes 19 PR!*

Finished last month at 100.5 miles! I'm pretty pleased about that. Aiming for 110 this month, with two 10 mile long runs and one 12-13 long run.

Started March outside in the morning - light snow 4.6 miles - pretty good.

A

Recalculating...

Posted my race report in the racing forum . Thanks again for all the support.

Who's racing next?

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Imminent Catastrophe

Looking forward to the RR, Brian. I did Mardi Gras a couple of years ago, the year after Katrina.

14 mile long run in Central Park Monday, It went fairly well and pace was OK. My recovery seems to be going OK, a little tired in the legs but I still feel like I had a good endurance base and it's coming back quickly. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

Tue: unplanned rest day. I was soooo tired and sleepy when the alarm went off at 4h30. I just stayed in bed.

This morning: yesterday's workout with an added 2.5 kilometers to make up a little for the short run I was supposed to do today.

2 kilometer warm up @ 9K/h, including a potty break
                  1 kilometer @ 3%
                  10 minutes @ 0%
                  1 kilometer @ 3%
                  10minutes @ 0%, increasing speed to 9.5 kilometers at the 45 minute mark
                  1 kilometer @ 3%
                  11 minutes @ 0%, increasin gspeed to 10 kilometers at the 60 minute mark
                  10 kilometers

Dutchie
                  Run the day, or the day runs you.

HappyFeat

Brian, thanks for posting all the details of your race and your thoughts about it.

It was obviously a valuable learning experience for you - transferring over to us/me.

Congrats on your PR - that's terrific!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Imminent Catastrophe

Nice RR Brian. It always cracks me up to know that we all make the same mistake, over and over.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dog-Love

Brian:  Great report and I will take note on your marathon lessons.  Have run 2 in the past (4:52 then 4:28) so about the same as you.  I am signed up for SF marathon and just want a good race and hope not to make unrealistic time goals.  I will not run a vigorous race prior to SF and I will try to go out slower than I feel.  26+ is a darn long way to run.  You gotta pat yourself on the back for sloggin out that last 6 though.  Great job.
                        Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

I managed to get in my 5 miles after work yesterday.  I was definitely working on some lack of sleep but it went well.  I'm glad I got my run in when I did because I am even worse off today.  DW woke me up at about 2 AM wanting to go to the ER because the cold that has been keeping the whole family up for a week got worse.  Now she has an ear infection and the beginning stages of pneumonia.  To top it all off we had a lovely winter storm last night making the roads terrible and there was a structure fire on the main road that blocked traffic for almost an hour.  By the time we finished with the trip to the hospital it was 6 AM.  I managed an hour of sleep before the school called to say they were closed.  Then I spent the next two hours struggling to get the prescriptions filled!  I really think that  a good night sleep would get me past the remnants of the cold that I still have but that is going to have to wait at least another day.  On the bright side it gave me a reason to call in to work.

Brian - "So I did the sensible thing: I held pace for three more miles".....I love it! 

It always cracks me up to know that we all make the same mistake, over and over.

Ain't it the truth.

One thing that I learned, that I hadn't read anywhere before, is that you have to have a plan for when things go bad. I alluded to this in the report, but more and more I'm thinking how important this is.  I (and I think most people) try to have a positive attitude and don't want to jinx things by thinking about what could go wrong.  However, that's a pretty naive outlook.  I think you have to think about what could happen, how you're going to know its happening and what you're going to do when it happens.  I should have been thinking: "OK, this pace is aggressive. If my heart rate gets above X or pace drops below Y or the effort to hold pace exceeds Z then I'm going to slow down to 10:20 or 10:30." Instead, all I thought about was how cool it was going to be to cut X off my PR. Then when things began to go off track I didn't know what to do so all I could do was stick to the original plan.

Fail to plan, plan to fail.

Jeff: what a crappy night.  Hope the wife recovers quickly and you finally get that good night's sleep.

I did go out and get in 3 miles yesterday.  Went very, very slowly (nearly 12 min/mile), but everything worked with no pain (aside from the blister I got on the TOP of my big toe).  Took me about a mile and half to remember it's left right left right not left left right.

HappyFeat

I still miss Trey  - does anybody know what ever happened to him?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.