2000Km-1243 mile club

March Check-in (Read 373 times)

Russ, as I head out to try and get close to 50 miles for the week, I can't express how amazing and inspirational what you've done is to me; not just yesterday, but the sum total of the races you've run and the comeback from your injuries.  Thank you.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

I LOVE that buckle too - All of your adventures keep us motivated and show us what mental and physical strength are really about. I would definitely like to read more. I hope you are resting well and enjoying your new bling. A

Recalculating...

Great job Russ, Congrats!

HappyFeat

You show us how to hang tough when it counts, Russ. Glad you beat the sun to the finish and got that beautiful buckle to show off.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dutchie42

Perfesser: congrats! Fantastic job in perseverance and determination. Loved the RR.

I'm just reporting I ran a measly 7K doggie run and a 20.23K long run. Sunny, crispy day.

Dutchie
            Run the day, or the day runs you.

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks everyone. I don't write race reports much any more but I think I'll do one for this race. I got some pictures.

The funny thing was, while driving back to the hotel after the race I was thinking, this is a pretty long drive. Turns out it was "only" 42 miles! That really made me realize how long the race was.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Well done PerfesserR, awesome effort. The NJ 50k will be a walk in the park Wink

My run pales in significance.  I ran the Rotorua Off-road Half and as expected the "training run" turned into a race.

It had been raining solidly for the last 3 days so it was nice and slippery.  A lot of people were only wearing road shoes so passed most of them on the downhills.  So much fun, I might be converted Big grin

Did the first lap in about 57 minutes and the second lap in about 52 for a total time of 1:49:25.  Took almost 6 minutes off my best 1/2 marathon time, which was on the road and flat.......so add in the wet and hilly factor and I am pretty stoked with my time.

Nothing much planned for a while just training runs until the marathon at end of April

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Great job pukekura!  A six minute PR in those conditions is very impressive.

Pukekura: Great job, I'm not sure if I'm coordinated enough for a trail race. I'm just happy the snow is gone!

So, the streets are clear of snow and ice but its still fairly cold - sunglasses required in the morning now - an improvement in a spring direction. Today I ran 6 with 3 miles at HM race pace in the middle (this is the midweek/ midlong run that will soon be 8 miles). Planned for tomorrow 4 miles, saturday 11.

Happy Thursday, A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Amazing pukekura! Sounds like you had a lot of fun with it and had a great run.

Imminent Catastrophe

I had intended to get a nice easy run along the Connecticut Riverwalk in Hartford yesterday but, it's underwater! So I wandered about aimlessly and managed to get in 3. I feel pretty good, just a little twinge in the left calf.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

I had intended to get a nice easy run along the Connecticut Riverwalk in Hartford yesterday but, it's underwater! So I wandered about aimlessly and managed to get in 3. I feel pretty good, just a little twinge in the left calf.

Well maybe that's all you were supposed to doSmile   Sounds like you are recovering rapidly from the ultra - and YES it was A REALLY LONG RACE!  Still can't fathom you doing it.

I got off early yesterday and ran my Wednesday night 8-miler before dark - daylight can be so energizing. None of my miles were slower than 11 for once and my final one was 10:02 - pretty happy about that. You can see the breakdown on my log entry. I would love to be doing 10 mpm for the Rhody Run in May and have been doing weekly progressive runs with that in mind. Last night's was kind of a test run to see what kind of pace I could keep up. I was never breathing hard, but can tell I need to go back to doing the strengthening exercises for my left glute.

BTW, I discovered the cause of my treadmill-related achilles issue last week.....yay!   Apparently on the TM (but not outside) I land flat-footed with my right foot and don't flex the foot enough. I keyed into that during last week's TM 8-miler when the AT wanted to lock up at about the 2nd mile. So I worked on flexing the foot and push-off - with near miraculous resolution of the problem.

Imminent Catastrophe

Happy-glad you figured out your achilles issue!

As for pace, I find I improve in plateaus--that is, I train for weeks sometimes with no progress then suddenly one day I'm moving faster with less effort. Sounds like you just hit a plateau.

Nice run pukekura

Tom King 1/2 Marathon this morning.  Unofficially 1:52:59.93, hopefully that will hold up and I'll stay in the 1:52's.  52 second PR over my race in February.  And yet I'm somewhat disappointed that I didn't do better.  For one thing, this is a very flat course and my PR was on a hilly course. Other than that, my disappointment is completely irrational because:

1. I've done no half-marathon-specific training
                              2. I did a hard 10 and 20 last weekend
                              3. I have  a cold which kept me awake most of the night
                              4. It was (relatively) hot (near 70 at the finish), sunny and windy
                              5. I decided orange juice would help my cold, only to have heart-burn most of the way

So I need to be content that this was the best I could do on this day and stop whining. Back to your regularly schedule programming.

HappyFeat

Brian! You did great, especially factoring in your list of handicaps. 

I wouldn't mind some 70 degree weather - still running in long sleeves and mittens here.

Did 11 miles at 11:11 avg pace with the last mile at 10:30.

I don't usually run the night before the LR, but ran 4 last night and my legs were a little tired today.