2000Km-1243 mile club

weekly? check in February (Read 445 times)

Guess I was pushing it too much to catch the bunny.  Had to dial back the mileage this week due to a building pain in my right calf.  I'm still trying to run more forefoot style and my calves are not quite there yet.  I did an easy 3 on the treadmill yesterday after 6 days off and I had no pain but I could still feel the area tightening up.  I think I'm going to try out something like a tiger tail to keep the area worked out.

Treadmill time this week! The streets are a frozen pina colada. I think I'll break the 25 mile mark this week -  the bunny is way ahead of me...

This morning was my day off (per plan) I did a bit of elliptical and some major stretching and rolling of calves, IT band and back with the foam roller.

Take care Jeff, A

Recalculating...

Dutchie42

That wasn't me, I did have some 2120 but I've switched to Mizuno. I do recall thinking that the 2100 series went downhill with each version, i.e. the 2100 was better than the 2120.

Must've been Trey then.

Bad week for running: it was monthly headache / sleepy days Dead Feeling better now.

Dutchie
        Run the day, or the day runs you.

I've been shopping for a new minimal shoe and have not had much luck.  The most promising looking one is the Kinvara but I have not found a pair to try on yet.  I like the idea of the Asics Piranha but they feel like they would last about 50 miles before they are completely worn out.  I have tried various versions of the VFF but I just don't like the individual toe feel.  The other recommendation I keep hearing is for swim shoes but those things just shred my feet.  The end result of my research led me to some footwear I already own.....my bedroom slippers!  I did a 1 mile test run yesterday and they worked like a champ.  Thin soles, flexible, no heal rise, comfortable flannel lining, just what I have been looking for.  The best part is that they are super cheap and come in all shapes, sizes and designs.  I'm thinking my next race will be in some nice pink bunny slippers!

Ran the Cedars of Lebanon Frostbite 1/2 Marathon yesterday. Third year in a row. I love this race, mainly because it costs $6 for a chip-timed race with pizza at the end, but also because its a fun course.  The course has 4 good climbs so its pretty challenging.  Very scenic if you like woods and more woods. There was still snow and ice yesterday and the first three miles were particularly slick. The next 3 miles are on gravel roads which were pretty muddy.  Lots of juking back and forth trying to find good footing.

The plan was to run 85-90% effort so as to not sabotage training too much.  Once I'd pinned on the number, that went out the window and the race was on. Given the climbs I decided to run on heart rate rather than pace.  Didn't think I could PR because of the course, but I was going to give max effort. Hit 10 about a minute behind PR, but the next 3 miles were up hill.  Picked up about 5-10 seconds over the next two miles, but kept my heart rate was right at the edge of the redzone. Put the hammer down at 12 and ran a 7:52 over two smaller hills and one downhill. The last .25 is downhill so it was a pure sprint the whole way to pull out a 1:53:51 and a PR by 17 seconds. In terms of management and effort probably the best race I've ever run.  Figure I left at most 30 seconds on the course.

Of course my legs feel like crap today, so a very easy recovery run with walking breaks is the plan.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Great race Brian, congrats!

Did "The Killer" 30km mountain run (www.thekiller.co.nz) on Sunday , but the only thing that died was my legs.

Wasn't  a very fast time at just under 3:27 but beat my target of 3:30.

It was difficult to pace yourself when you don't know what the next hill was going to be like, so after about 15km I just cruised and chewed the ears off other runners. Placed 34th out of 50.

Just figured out that it is 10 weeks to the Rotorua marathon, so time to start building again Cry

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Imminent Catastrophe

Had an absolutely beautiful 27-mile run in the Headlands north of San Francisco Saturday. It was a perfect, clear day. At one point I found myself in the middle of a race, the Steep Ravine 50k. That had to be the best run I've ever done, the people who live in that area are so lucky. I posted some pictures over on the Trailrunners forum.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

The end result of my research led me to some footwear I already own.....my bedroom slippers!  I did a 1 mile test run yesterday and they worked like a champ.  Thin soles, flexible, no heal rise, comfortable flannel lining, just what I have been looking for.  The best part is that they are super cheap and come in all shapes, sizes and designs.  I'm thinking my next race will be in some nice pink bunny slippers!

Pictures?

Dog-Love

Wow ...I remember why I love this group...you are such amazing runners.  I plan to come back to that mode soon.  Ran a short Valentines day race through the mud and sand and 35 degree wind and rain.  Pleasant bt mostly a reminder how much I like running trails.  Went for a hike yesterday with Rusty in a blizzard on the beach.  He never seems to notice the weather.  My best running buddy no longer runs and we are dealing with theliotrophic lymphoma which is a rare cancer that seems to affect Golden retrievers which I guess Rusty has a gene or two from.  Does not affect his love of the beach.

Perfessor:  thanks for the pictures...I grew up in SF and lived in Bodega Bay for 12 years so have hiked these trails quite a bit.  Beautiful!  Especially if it is not windy. 

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Imminent Catastrophe

Aw, sorry to hear about Rusty. Daisy, Georgia and Taz send their best wishes.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

Perfesser: beautiful pics! What gorgeous scenery!

Crabby: sorry to hear about Rusty. Is he in any pain?

Yesterday was over 26 kilometers, split in three: run with Spikey and Spooky, run with Spooky, finish with two short laps to build mileage.

Today as a 2.35 kilometer doggie run for recovery.

Finally made an appointment with the PT for my "achilles" discomfort/pain. He'll tell me this Thu what it really is and what he can do about it.

Dutchie
                          Run the day, or the day runs you.

Crabby! glad you're back.  Beach and blizzard...my mind can't put those two words together in one picture.

Gorgeous pics Perfesser!

Good job in the Frosbite Brian - I haven't tried out our local Frosbite Half (first week of Feb) a but iffy it could be 0 (good) or -15*C (bad)

7 miles Sat, 6 Sun, 6.3 Mon per plan - legs are rubbery - mind is rubbery from office Ladies Night and early Valentine's.

Happy Monday, A

MTA Added some spacing

Recalculating...

Dog-Love

Thanks all!  Rusty grunts and groans at night, but by day he is a seemingly painfree and happy mutt!  Tomorrow I learn from the vet what options are out there but everything online is not a happy ending. 

Will post pics of blizzard on the beach with 2 dogs when I learn how to post pictures  more easily.  Picassa used to be a problem but I shall see

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)