2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check-in: 24-30 May (Read 658 times)

Dutchie42

Ayola: tell about your race? And congrats on finishing it. Your time is better than I can hope to run a HM. Waiting for your race report

Perfesser: where is your race report?

Landed myself with an injury yesterday. I was walking a 5K loop, just trying to get my legs used to the distance hoping it would make running next week easier, and somehow I did something to the back of my L-knee, on the inside.
    t suddenly happened with about a kilometer left to walk. Nothing happened. I was just walking. I've never had this injury before. Have no idea what it is, but I was limping all day yesterday and this morning. I did  ice it, used the stick on it and foam rolled it. Feels a little better this morning. 

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Dutchie: you asked for it...

Up early even though its a holiday here... a race report and some notes ... its a bit long, break it up don't squander your whole coffee break on this!

The weekend started with a perfect 3 mile run on Saturday with my husband who swears he hasn't run that far in 20 years. We have never run together. I felt good, rested and ready to go.

Sunday morning is a perfect day, perhaps too perfect - this race in Halifax is known for being rainy and windy. It was bright sunny and hot! I started on my target pace for the first half of the race (10:30 m/m) but it slipped away after mile 8 and the big hill. My miles slipped into the 11-12 range and I had to do some walking around miles 10 and 11. Really I think I was dehydrated even thought I hydrated at every station (hands were swollen during the race) and did I say hot - temps went up to 24º (74º) which I guess I'm not used to. Hence 2:25Tight lippedx, ,a very soft PR. My goal was 2:17 - anything around 2:20 would have been great.

The odd thing is that I felt fine afterwards and walked home, walked to the pub for lunch and did a turn around the block at sunset (late here 9:30pm) - my brain bone just wasn't connected to my leg turnover bone after 90 minutes.

So what's the takeaway? I'll take any thoughts.

Positives:

I'm figuring out training myself without injury, solved 2009's foot and ankle issues - now I can add to it.

Met some cool people, the race and the training made start to really like my new town instead of always missing Maine.

Negatives:

The time is a bummer. A REAL downer. The husband says I should look for another HM in about a month and by then I might be acclimated to warm temps, usually I ignore his running advice but this might make sense.

My toes are killing me - I think I'm going to lose some nails! I'm reconsidering my beloved Mizunos

Game plan:

Before the race I decided to use the next 6 weeks to learn more about weight training and toughen up my back and core. A couple of training sessions are in the budget. I'm not too concerned about my body shape (I'm a regular size 6/8)  but losing the "last 10" couldn't hurt either for the speed.

Then 12 weeks to target HM - I'd like to get into a 35 mile week.

Recalculating...

Dutchie42

Ayola: your RR wasn't that long and I loved it. Working on your core will help with maintaining proper form when you get tired.

You came from cold weather training and had zero time to aclimate to these warmer temps. Don't be so hard on yourself, you ran a half mary and you did fabulous! DH is right, pick another one in a few weeks time and try again.

I'm a hot weather wuss. 24C is way too hot for me to run well, even when I'm acclimated to the temp. I simply adjust my expected finish time cause I know I'll run way slower and that way I avoid being disappointed with myself and my time. And as far as half mary's go, for me they're always one big drama. Somehow, the distance doesn't suit me.

Me: today's w/o was 40 min of (kick)boxing, hitting and kicking air only. And no jumping to avoid the impact. That took a bit of the intensity out of the w/o, but nevertheless, after one of the combo's (hammer punch to the floor with a 'grab and knee') I was almost throwing up. 

Following the last hours of the Roparun on TV/internet/youtube. I'm a bit emotional about it. I so wanted to be part of it, sigh.

Here's a link if you like an impression of what it's like. Just scroll and watch.

[url]http://www.roparun.nl/#eerste-team-roparun-finisht-op-de-coolsingel[/url]

ETA: avg pace of my team is 11.64km/hr and they're increasing speed. They're expected to finish at 15h15.

Dutchie
        Run the day, or the day runs you.

...---...

Late entry from yesterday. I did a 13 miler in the dark down a country road with a buddy last night. We saw steer, regular cows, a buffalo (maybe a Bison), sheep, goats, chickens, a snake, a dead cat (road kill), and plenty of rednecks...who shot guns, in the dark, at God know's what in the direction of God know's where, behind their trailer park. Just another summer evening in the South.

MTA - and horses. Plenty of dogs too. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

...---...

My toes are killing me - I think I'm going to lose some nails! I'm reconsidering my beloved Mizunos

Mine too. My beloved Inspire's don't fit (now breaking in the Inspire 6) quite the way the other versions have.  I'll be interested to hear what you change over to...if you decide to do that. I hate the thought of "finding" another shoe. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Dutchie: I felt a lot better after reading the news this morning - the elites also struggled with the warm temps. Today's workout: walk in the Public Garden with buddies.

Runner: I dunno, maybe back to Saucony Triumphant but the new model is 2 oz heavier... I also liked Brooks Glycerine (also a little heavy but long lasting) Maybe I'll try Nike Pegasus

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Ayola: I agree with Dutchie - you did GREAT and the heat was just bad luck.

Trey: You ARE out in the country, aren't you? 

DH and I went for an 8-mile hike yesterday (4 uphill and 4 downhill) - with a guy who works with DH and his 9-year-old daughter. Nothing like a 9-year-old to make you feel decrepit. Seemed like she was set up with springs instead of feet.  We hit patchy snow on the trail close to our destination lake,  which was mostly covered with snow at just under 4000 ft elev. Will add a pic to this tonight, although we had some soft rain going on (tiniest drops ever!) and it was pretty misty. My first time using a new camera - will take some practice. All this to say the photo may not be so great.

MTA: Photo of the lake and the waterfall en route...very low light conditions.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

...---...

Trey: You ARE out in the country, aren't you? 

Technically, by most people's standards, yes, I'm out in the country. But here in the deep South, we have varying levels of the boonies. Each level becomes more mysterious and strange. When I said I was running out in the country, I mean houses a mile or better apart. No traffic...at all. And usually, no power lines or other evidence of civilization. As the run continues on, I am mindful of banjos and the phrase "squeal like pig!" 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Just a dude.

Well... tried 8x600 intervals today... but it didn't happen...

Not sure why... but I didn't have it... ended up with 6x600, and the last one was way slow...

Oh well... I bet I'll do the same workout again in like 2 weeks and it will be fine...

Nice pics Ayola... 

Ugh Dutchie... hope yer legs get better soon!

Runner67, I live in a pretty rural area too... Many people have an acre or more, with horses and stuff...  But not nearly as rural as you describe... Sounds like you barely have pavement... 

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

HappyFeat

Technically, by most people's standards, yes, I'm out in the country. But here in the deep South, we have varying levels of the boonies. Each level becomes more mysterious and strange. When I said I was running out in the country, I mean houses a mile or better apart. No traffic...at all. And usually, no power lines or other evidence of civilization. As the run continues on, I am mindful of banjos and the phrase "squeal like pig!" 

So that's why it's called the "deep" South - because of all the layers. Thanks for the descriptions.

It's fun to learn about life in other parts of the country and world through this board.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dog-Love

Running rural is so much more exciting with gunshot!

Well I am finally going home to Juneau after a very long work/play trip through PEI, NB, and Maine.  I even go to run on the Bay of Fundy!  I have not been a very good runner considering the 26.2 miles looming in July but I hope to get back on track when I get home.  I am completely sleep deprived (hate hotel rooms) and never dod get used to the East Coast time zone.  Also I am not positive but I think I have been eating and drinking too much

Ayola:  Aren't you the lucky one that lives in Nova Scotia?  Very beautiful area and I hope to come back to the area and bike around.

Anyway...When I get home I am organizign a 5-person relay race and I am stressed at trying to get it all together.  5 of you want to put a team together?

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Imminent Catastrophe

... I am mindful of banjos and the phrase "squeal like pig!" 

Tell me about it--that movie (Deliverance) was set and filmed just a few miles from my house.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I do love the East Coast - New York, Providence, Maine and now Halifax!

Happy: love those pictures.

Today's workout: 20 minutes elliptical - I think I'll try a short run tomorrow.

Toenail update - still on but subpar - canceling Friday's pedicure - dont want to freak out the beautician. PS do not open the toe nail thread on the GSP - not for the faint of heart.

A

Recalculating...

...---...

Runner67, I live in a pretty rural area too... Many people have an acre or more, with horses and stuff...  But not nearly as rural as you describe... Sounds like you barely have pavement... 

-Kelly

ha ha, but sadly yes, there are a number of dirt roads out here. Although I live in the city, the "country" is never very far away. Not unlike where Perfesser lives, where there may not be roads at all in some places. 

-

Happy - yes the deep South is like the layers from an onion. And ironically, smell similar  

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

...---...

So a little update, Dutchie - you're not alone with the pains and ouchies.

I just don't know if San Fran is going to happen or not. I should be farther along than I am now and it's a fight, a struggle, to ramp up the miles in the way I need. Last Sunday's 13 mile "Le Tour de Redneck" was horrible (aside from the 1 mile sprint interval at mile 11 when the guns shots went off). I had to take walk breaks every 1.5 - 2 miles or so. Partially, the heat brought that on but I started hurting again in the left lower back and felt the lower ab/groin/pelvis pain came back again half way through. 

I don't feel terrible today but was a bit tender yesterday. There's a 50 miler I really want to do in Sept and the SF Marathon would be a good way to get in a really great, long, albeit expensive, training run. I can't be ready for Grandfather Mountain marathon (I may not be quite that crazy either) so I'm on the fence. I don't think SF will sell out before July 4 and am going to play it by ear. 

Oh well, there's always the Lake Tahoe Triple in late sept too 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12