2000Km-1243 mile club

May Days (Read 435 times)

Ran the Bluenose 10K - second best 10K time for me despite all the coughing and snot goodness. The course goes over the MacDonald bridge and a large hill in Dartmouth. My pace was in the 9s for flats, rolling hills and downhills and 10s for the bridge. I think I'll start incorporating the bridge into my workouts!

I was sad about not running the HM but I made the best of the day. Talked to lots of fun people. Later, Hubby made a great BBQ (on our balcony in the rain) for parents and cousins - overall a great day.

Happy - all of that consistent training is paying off! 5 minutes is a really great improvement.

June is cross training month - I'll be finishing up those personal weight training sessions I put on hold, hopefully slimming down a bit before higher volume summer running.

Happy holiday Monday, A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Happy and ayola--nice runs! 

Enough rest for me, I need to get running again, Tahoe is 8 weeks away. The trouble is it's suddenly gotten very hot and humid here so I'll have to acclimate to the heat too. Ugh, I really don't like running in that.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Agreed, nice runs Ayola and Happy!

Back home, back to work.  Started the week with 4 miles in the rain. After a week of flat-land running, it was fun(?) to run some small hills again.  I'll try for some bigger ones tomorrow.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

HappyFeat

4 easy miles for me tonight; legs slightly tired, but not bad.

Was it hot in Peru, PerfesserR? How long does it usually take you to get acclimatized to running in the heat? I used to live in Sacramento with 100-degree summers; so I know what that's like. It wasn't as humid there though as it is where you are I think.

Congratulations on a successful race, Ayola! Even sick, you did great!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Congrats Happy, I guess your speedwork is paying off.  It must be the glutes.

A - Great effort considering the circumstances.  Just think what you would have done if you could breath.

I managed to tweak my right foot a little last week.  Not sure how, it just swelled up right behind my second toe and started to hurt.  I've been staying off of it as much as my work schedule will allow.  Went for a bike ride today instead just for some cardio.  My new shoes are supposed to arrive tomorrow (Inov-8 155's) it's going to be hard not to try them out.

Russ - Have you seen the new Inov-8 lineup?  The 155's look like they are just what I've been looking for.  Test drive data coming soon.

Congrats on the race Happy, looks like your consistency is paying off.

Hope you had a good trip Prefesser, sounds like you did.  Have any photos to share?

Good luck with your foot Jeff, nothing too serious hopefully.

I got out with my youngest daughter in the stroller this weekend, but she has been tough at night.  I think she is teething and that is keeping her up at night.  Been having trouble getting out the door and leaving my wife to fend for herself, hopefully things turnaround soon.

Imminent Catastrophe

Russ - Have you seen the new Inov-8 lineup?  The 155's look like they are just what I've been looking for.  Test drive data coming soon.

I hadn't seen that! I love my F-lite 195's, these look similar (only more so!). 

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

Congrats Happy, I guess your speedwork is paying off.  It must be the glutes.

To be honest, I can't really take too much credit for my pace since there was so much downhill. It was more a matter of maintaining good form and control so as not to morph into an outa control snowball!  I've been working on hills lately - up and down - and learning how to do them well. That really helped me. 

I'm sorry to hear about your foot. Have you tried icing it?

I'm sorry to hear about your foot. Have you tried icing it?

My schedule is not helping the recovery.  Still working 12 hour days and on my feet the whole day, up and down stairs, etc.  By the time I get home I try to ice at least once but it's just not enough.  If anything it's still getting worse.  I guess I'm stuck with swim and bike until after my schedule eases up.  I'm just stubborn enough to run my 10K this weekend even though I know I shouldn't.

HappyFeat

Sounds like inflammation. I guess if you can't ice it a few times a day, the next best thing would be if you could take some Aleve or Motrin or some other anti-inflammatory. Maybe try a metatarsal cushion while it heals too. That's my best guess. I know what you mean about wanting to run the 10K anyway. I'd do it too, even if it made it temporarily worse, but that's me.

Imminent Catastrophe

My new shoes are supposed to arrive tomorrow (Inov-8 155's) it's going to be hard not to try them out.

...Well?

I did my first heat-acclimation run today, 10k in the hottest part of the day (87°F, humid) and it was quite a wake-up call. It felt really labored, my HR was way up and I was tired after. I'm ready for Autumn already. It's too hot to take the dogs so I'm having to go solo. I have a couple of trips to Portland, Oregon this week and I'm going to take advantage of the cool weather to get in some long trail runs while there. Forecast there is 60° and rain showers. Yay!

Forecast there is 60° and rain showers. Yay!

Day 25 of < 60*f and rainy... ugh 60*f="" and="" rainy...=""></ 60*f and rainy... ugh>

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Forecast there is 60° and rain showers. Yay!

Day 25 of 60*f and rainy... ugh

Big grin

It's what you're used to, I guess.

iPhone and HTML are noncompliant. Summary: weather here sucks. Forecast is good for the weekend 70*F and sunny. Fingers crossed.

Recalculating...

Wishing you the same in Portland, OR!

Recalculating...