2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check-in: 12-19 July (Read 539 times)

HappyFeat

Happy Feat: you had bursitis in your butt???? That must've been so painful and uncomfortable. Hope it continues to improve.

I had it in my L-shoulder once. Strong NSAID's from my doc and resting the shoulder (but not too much or you can't move it properly afterwards anymore) did the trick.

Well yes, there is actually a bursa between each of the "sit-bones" and the glute muscles that overlie them. So when it's inflamed, you're sitting on a couple balls of fire.  It's a kind of pain that builds from mild to excruciating, the longer you sit.  When I was running, it felt like pain in my hips.  Unfortunately I can't take oral NSAIDS as that would have made a world of difference; but I did try some topical prescription anti-inflammatory gel called Voltaren which has helped. 

I think it took me so long to figure it out because I never heard of bursitis in the butt before either! This has been going on since last April, so I'm glad I got a handle on it before losing my mind.

MTA: it's called "ischial bursitis" - the "ischial tuberosities" being your sit-bones.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dutchie42

Another slow 5 kilometer run. But I can blame it on Spike. He came along too after a month of staying home. He doesn't do well in the heat. But after a week of rain storms, temperatures have dropped and the humidity has gone.

Dutchie
      Run the day, or the day runs you.

theyapper

On the road again...

I'm a missing person checking in.  I'm just plodding away down here in the souther summer heat.  This week was a cutback week, so there wasn't a lot of activity to post about, but I did make sure I at least outran the pace bunny.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Dog-Love

Dutchie...you are scooching ahead pretty well there and I am doing my best but definitely lagging beind.  I have a long run planned on Sun.  May race this morning but will probably skip it. 

I ran up our ski mountain yesterday and felt pretty good.  No complaints.

I ended up running the 5K and then ran back to my car so...me and Perfesser are almost within view Dutchie...wait up!

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Dutchie: You will probably catch me - I'm running low mileage for a little while. No injuries, just trying to focus on slimming down and firming up.

Thurs: rest day 20 min elliptical

Friday: warm up and 1hr workout with the trainer - Bosu crunches, various style push ups, squats and lunges, chest press. I woke up wondering if my arms would still be attached to my body!

Today: 7.5 easy miles in a warm fog - kinda like soup

Tonight: last night of volunteering at the Jazz Fest

Tomorrow: rest day again - 20 min elliptical - clean the d*mned apartment

A

PS I dont count warm up or cool downs. I only count walking during running if I planned on it - like for an interval, other wise I stop my watch and restart when I start running.

Recalculating...

Just arrived in Richmond for my next Tri, tomorrow morning.  I'm thinking my goal for this one is going to be stay upright on the bike.  I guess I can go ahead and say that's my goal for the run too.

Imminent Catastrophe

Devil Mountain Half Marathon, Pagosa Springs, Colorado. Nice, tough, scenic trail run with a tough, rocky descent then climb up Devil's Canyon--twice.

Lack of training, altitude (8000 ft), unusually warm temps and intense sun conspired to kick my butt. Still, DW and I finished together in 2:41:15, really wasted but feeling pretty good about it. Pagosa Springs is such a nice place, I love it. The San Juan River runs through the town and we soaked in the cold water for a while on the way back to our B&B. Ahhhhhhhh.... 

Now I have unfinished business--I hope to return next year to do the 50k that I'd planned for this year. Gotta figure out how to deal with the altitude though. 

I passed Crabby--but only for a couple of hours!  

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Good luck with the Tri tomorrow Jeff - hope you do well and have fun!

No run for me today. Went on about an 8-mile hike (4 up, 4 down). Beautiful alpine lake destination, but nowhere good to lounge about. Right knee felt odd from about halfway through the return hike. No pain, just feels odd - guess I really did a number on it doing all that kneeling last Sunday. I don't expect any problems with tomorrow's run though. 

MTA: Way to go PerfesserR and your DW too!  Sound challenging, but rewarding too. I wonder if it was the heat more than the altitude that made it so hard.. If you could arrive 3 days before the run, you'd be better adjusted to the altitude. I vacationed at a cabin once in the Sierras that was at 8000. It took me a couple of rough days to get over the altitude adjustment (believe it or not, ginger capsules helped me with that); but then I ran a 6-mile trail route every day, including one day a 5-hour trail run that went up to 10,000 feet (no idea of the miles) and I felt fine.

Dutchie42

Crabby: I may have to wait around. I'm seeing my eye doctor tomorrow morning (Monday) for a check. But there's this funny glimmering thing going on with my right eye. Not like light flashes like when I had the tear, more like sunlight reflected by glass. It's not all the time, just now and then and I'm worried something is wrong. It might be a little hole or tiny tear which they could laser but I would have to take a rest period again.

Heffa: good luck on your tri. You can do it!

Perfesser: I think Happy Feat is right. If you could arrive a few days early, you at least have a chance of acclimatising to the altitude.

Yapper: keep on plodding away. Here, the heat has disappeared for now. It's (5h22 AM) only 12C. Which I like.

Happy Feat: your hike sounds beautiful. I envy you your scenic surroundings.

Ayola: I think after the marathon in May 2011, I'll just do low mileage all Summer.

Dutchie

Imminent Catastrophe

Perfesser: I think Happy Feat is right. If you could arrive a few days early, you at least have a chance of acclimatising to the altitude.

I'll tell my boss I need a few extra days! 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

I'll tell my boss I need a few extra days! 

We'll all write notes in support of your request

Dutchie42

We'll all write notes in support of your request

I'll second that

I've had the most amazing run in a long time.
                          I was expecting my legs to be tired after yesterday's run and HiiT w/o, but if anything, they seemed to have more umph then they've had in a long time. I ran effortless, smooth and without ever feeling the need for a break, except for potty breaks of course.
                          1st half = 1:11:16
                          2nd half = 1:08:35 and I did intervals in the tree tunnel (after about 17 kilometers): 10 trees easy pace, 10 trees a bit faster and repeat 8  more times. Then approx. 1 kilometer at an easy pace again before running up the bridge, increasing speed every 3rd lamppost (5x) before recovering another 230 meters to finish.
                          It's been amazing. Really!

Dutchie

HappyFeat

Dutchie - your exhilarating run sounds perfect in every way - what a great start to the day. I hope your eye doctor's appt tomorrow goes well. It does sound worrisome.  We'll be waiting to hear what they say about it.

4 miles today with a half mile walk before and after. Rt knee okay until 4th mile and then just felt kinda "there," but no pain.

Perfesser: That sounds perfect. I really want to try trail running.

Dutchie: The low mileage thing just worked out this way with getting used to increased resistance/ weight training and the "Canadian" heat. I am planning on a HM in October so when there's 8 weeks to go I'll give up my spining class and focus more on running. I'm just now planning out my long run schedule.

Good luck Jeff!

A

Recalculating...