2000Km-1243 mile club

Who's still running? (Read 8 times)

HappyFeat

Wow, Dutchie, that is a pretty strong reaction to a boiled egg! Must have been bad in some way to throw you off kilter so badly.  Fingers crossed you have a wonderful run on Tuesday.

On this: "A trail marathon? That sounds as grueling to me right now as Perfesser's WS." I'm on the same page at this point --but I'll get there with a bit of luck.  My 3-hour long trail run yesterday was a confidence booster. My energy level was good and steady - as were my legs.

What really takes it out of me is my "new" job. Although I've been there 6 months already, I still find it draining, with some weeks worse than others. Last week was relatively calmer and that's why I had more energy on the weekend. They rotate us around weekly and based on where I'll be this coming week, it should be a good running week. Two in a row - whoo hoo!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dutchie42

Saturday I hit another milestone. Weather was terrible around here. It was raining, wind gusts and the temp dropped from 23C on Friday to 9C on Sat morning. I was not in the mood to run outside. Just stepping out the door was enough to make me turn round and hop on the TM instead. Which turned out to be a great idea.

I started off thinking I would do 3K or 20 min, whichever came first. I decided on 3min running / 60sec walking intervals. While I was running I had a discussion with myself. I onnly had to run 3min right? But after 3 min I was just fine. My lower legs felt a little heavy, but nothing I had to stop or stretch for. So OK, I'll run 4 min, no wait 5 min. Well that was easy, I'll aim for 7 min, that's a touch more than 1 kilometer. But if I can do that I might be able to run 10 min. You do know that's only 3 min extra and I already proved I can run 3 min. But wait, at 10 min I'm close to running a solid mile. I can do that. Just keep going. Jeez, a mile is about 1.62 kilometers, that's almost 2 full kilometers. I can do that. It's only 400 meters more. Not even 400 meters. But wouldn't it be better to make it 2.5 kilometers? Then I'm half way! Yeah!.

I did stop after 17 min of solid running. Milestone  I didn't want to overdo it. I was already pushing it compared to my last run where I ran 1 full kilometer without a recovery break.

After a 90 sec walk break I started running again. But suddenly that was really tough and I regretted my decision to stop and walk. I had another break after a mere 3 min, cause my legs were so darn heavy! Next interval was 4 min and after that I aimed for 1 kilometer. I had to push push push myself to make it, but I did. Another 60 sec walk break and then I finished my 5K run of the day.

Dutchie
      Run the day, or the day runs you.

Dutchie42

Happy: is the job much different from the previous one? Or are you maybe working with more people around you? I know that when I'm at work and all of management is there as well, being as loud as they can be, I'm exhausted when I get home. While on days they're all somewhere else I feel fitter and have way more energy after work.

Dutchie

HappyFeat

Excellent work, Dutchie!

About my new job - both. It's different in several ways. One as you mentioned, is the noise level. I just can't even describe how loud it can get. It is a medical clinic in an industrial sort of building with concrete floors and an open-space design - no ceiling and lots of half walls. I think only the exam rooms and the admin offices have doors. Right now there is remodeling going on. So the noise includes sawing metal (that's what it sounds like to me), hammering metal (don't ask me why), shrieking or crying children, and then regular conversational noise of phone calls and checking patients in and out with 3 clerks back to back in three stations.I am one of 6 patient care coordinators and we each have at least 40 calls to make every day, plus incoming calls, faxing, mailing, and assisting patients.  On top of the noise and the high volume of work that must get done same-day, we each have a handful of medical staff who constantly come at us with "top priority tasks."  We leave with brains like mush at day's end from the pressure and the pace. It's like you have to move in double-time or whatever that's called.  In contrast, my previous job of the last 15 years was a single doctor private practice. Quiet, easy, comfortable. Too bad she couldn't make a go of it.

Good morning! Waking up on race day (local Bluenose marathon, half marathon, 10k) but not competing is odd. Our house is on route so I'll be cheering from the sidelines.

Western states and the trail marathon sound exciting. I'm still just running for pleasure. No training just yet. I'm planning on a Friday long run - my long run is around 6 miles right now with walk breaks!-   this summer hopefully I can take Friday's off July/ Augusti if construction schedule allows and work my way back towards a 10 miler.

Happy: your workplace sounds intense, you describ

e a bit of fluctuation/ relief when assigned to different areas? My intense work periods are project based. Right now things are calm but intense stretches can be 2-6 weeks depending on getting drawings out for construction.

Anyhoo, good luck out there

A

Recalculating...

Dutchie42

Happy: I'm with Ayola, that makes my work environment sound like a yoga retreat Smile I totally understand why you are so tired.

Ayola: did anyone you know run in the race today?

Me: no runs to report. My OCD personality got sucked into the black hole known as website building. Never done it before, so there was a pretty steep learning curve, despite not having to code myself. Some stuff was intuitive, some I found in the help function, others I had to google, and then there were the things I discovered totally be accident. I've been spending every free minute working on it, making plenty of mistakes along the way. But the actual building is now done..... I think. All I need to do now is fill up some pages with words so when it's launched and someone takes a wrong turn and stumbles in, there's something to read Smile I think that I may be able to have my private launch party next weekend.

Dutchie

Still here, just been lazy.  Was putting in a few runs then my Garmin packed a sad so was using Strava on my phone and couldn't be bothered synching over to RA.  Got a new watch now so back into it.

When I get a chance I will try and get my RA log up to date.  Although it doesn't make for very good reading.....

Supposedly I am starting my build up to a 24 hour track race in October.  Maybe start next week.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

So I just "followed" you on Strava, Puke. I have an unused account there so I can look at my friend Josh's trail data sometimes. I may never get in there, but just thought I'd tell you.   What watch did you choose? Hope your training is off to a good start.

Yay for my "Saturday" today (had to work yesterday). I just finished an hour-long yoga/core session - first in a long time. Felt great.

Now to go for a 2 -hour run.

ETA: Ok - done - that was certainly an "easy" run that didn't feel easy! Legs still tired from Friday night's tempo run.

Got my runs transferred over and turns out I am only about 40 km behind the bunny.

Happy - I brought another Garmin 310xt.  Cheap as.....but a bit old technology wise.  Still, the battery lasts 20 hours.

Good work on the two hour "easy" run....I managed to get out at 0530 for an hour run. Actually felt quite good.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

You're doing great with only 40km to catch The Bunny, Puke. No doubt you'll make it up in no time.

I hope my old Garmin 205 keeps on ticking because it's perfect for me. No 20-hour battery though. I think it's only good for about 6 hours. If I had to shop for a replacement, I'd consider the 310XT because of that and the display choices look similar to what I have.

Today was Memorial Day holiday, so I actually got a full "weekend" off even though I had to work Saturday. Nice! Got in another hour of yoga/core this morning followed by a 90-minute run. Rest day and late work day tomorrow - so it's back to the grind. Planning on fitting in a light hand weights workout tonight - haven't done that in ages. May as well do it all since it's a holiday, right?

Dutchie, are you website-building for your own endeavor or someone else? How's that going?

HappyFeat

I've adopted a more flexible approach to my weekly running because some days, it just ain't happening! Not enough sleep last night for one thing. Tonight's Tempo Run is being bumped over to tomorrow and I'm just going to run an easy hour tonight. That much I can do.  Only 2 days into the work week and it's been a doozy so far.

I just saw that today is Global Running Day for all us runners to go run and inspire others. Who thinks these things up? Anyway, couldn't read that and then bail on my run entirely now, could I?

Happy Running!

I'm still around and checking in once in a while. It's been a tough running year for me. Too much stuff going on. Finally took DW for her dream trip to Italy for 2 weeks, too much time spent at work and keeping up with 2 rental properties. I'm way behind in my miles but at least I'm injury free!

HappyFeat

Hey Jeff! Welcome to the party . Glad to hear you are uninjured, and went to Italy!! Did you get in at least one run there?  Hope you will hang out here a bit as we all regroup.