2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check in Aug 17 - Aug 23 (Read 392 times)

...---...

4.4 miles at recovery pace this morning. A tad cooler but it was still a sweat-fest out there. Humidity be gone.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

10 mile tempo yesterday.  It was a struggle.  My long runs are a little weak but my shorter runs are doing awesome.  Unfortunately my next race is a HM.

5 easy miles this morning.   73 and misty rain.  Legs very tired.  If they're not better tomorrow, I'm going to have to consider an extra rest day this week.

Ran with Fat Tony. Pretty sure that 5 miles is a personal best for him.  He's gone for longer walks, but not runs.  Running with a sight hound keeps you on your toes.  Five miles of Bird! Cat! Squirrel! Bunny!  Bunny statue! Coke can! Apparently he can't see oncoming cars, however, because he keeps running in the middle of the road.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Imminent Catastrophe

7.4 easy run with some strides. DW and I got caught in a downpour, but it really felt nice and cool. Fun!

...and that puts me over 1000 miles for the year. Whoo hoo!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

...---...

Awesome running everyone.

I got in a fairly easy paced 10.3 miles mid morning - I took a mental health day from work so I got out later than normal. 

PS - what's the deal with Bret Favre? "I'm retired now and there's no going back." ...  "Oh, wait. 12 million a year? Okay, I'm signing with Minnesota." 

Russ - when is your BQ attempt? Congrats on going over 1000 so early. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

I took a mental health day from work so I got out later than normal. 

Russ - when is your BQ attempt? Congrats on going over 1000 so early. 

A mental health day? Heh. I have to try that one.

I'm shooting for Chickamauga in November, with Rocket City in December as backup. I'm not ready yet for an attempt in Utah (with the elevation and all) and MDI (October) is a pretty tough course.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

...---...

easy and slow 4.2 this morning. Really tried to control HR @ recovery range. Felt rough during today's run but expected that given yesterday's feel good 10 miler.

Now for 2 days rest - gonna try a 22 mile trail run Saturday with a recovery run on Sunday.  

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

A combo today. 3 easy miles on the TM (thunderstorm outside), 1.4 miles with dogs, then the main event--VO2 workout with 4x1200m sessions. That was a killer workout! I'm wiped. Man, I hate those VO2 intervals. I'd rather listen to an hour of coked-up Billy Mays and ShamWow Guy commercials than run those. Only two to go. Yay!

8 miles.  Hard and slow.  Suxorz

...---...

I'd rather listen to an hour of coked-up Billy Mays and ShamWow Guy commercials than run those. Only two to go. Yay!

Now that's disliking something, ALOT!

Glorious rest day for me. And tomorrow  but I'll pay the piper this weekend. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Miles: 5.  Gnats ingested: 6,438.  Protein is important for recovery, right?

Imminent Catastrophe

Miles: 5.  Gnats ingested: 6,438.  Protein is important for recovery, right?

After reading that, I thought for sure you live in Massachusetts. Geez, I've never seen so many gnats as in MA. It must be the state bird.

I'm looking forward to hearing about Trey's trail run this weekend. My last trail run was, umm, eventful.

After reading that, I thought for sure you live in Massachusetts. Geez, I've never seen so many gnats as in MA. It must be the state bird.

Crap!  We're taking our son to Boston for college in a few weeks and I was really looking forward to running along the Charles.  Now you tell me its going to be like running along the river here.  It's got to be a little cooler at least.

...---...

I'm looking forward to hearing about Trey's trail run this weekend. My last trail run was, umm, eventful.

Yeah - heard about yours - as a result, now I've gone and bought a bear bell too. I think I would drop a load in my shorts if I looked up and saw a black bear. We had a couple of sightings in more urban areas this past early spring but so far no "trail" issues that I could find. The school of thought on what to do when encountering a black bear varies. Slowly walk away (backwards), while facing the bear has been the most common. 

Brian - Gnats hovered around me for about an hour last weekend on the trail. Aggravating! But seemed to thin out as the temp went up. I had no idea they were bad in Tennessee. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Brian - Gnats hovered around me for about an hour last weekend on the trail. Aggravating! But seemed to thin out as the temp went up. I had no idea they were bad in Tennessee. 

They're only a problem near water.  We have "loitering gnats", the kind that just hang in a cloud and always dead center on the path.  At least you can see them as you approach and take defensive measures: only exhale, wave your arms, pull out your gnat bell.  Last night I was running in the dark (sun's going down earlier, who knew?) so all I could do was squint, keep my lips together (tough for a mouth breather like me) and muscle through.