2000Km-1243 mile club

August 2016 (Read 7 times)

Dutchie42

Hi everyone,

We're well on our way in the new month. How is everyone doing? Are we all injury free?

I did the first run of August on Tuesday: 7 kilometers. Wasn't as easy as my previous 7K, but doable. I really should be running more often. And I should update my training summary regularly.

So what was your first run of the month?

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Dutchie42

And another run this morning. Was very lovely outside. I'm still slooooow, but the running was easier and I didn't have to push myself. The route I followed was shorter than I wanted to run, but still over 5 kilometers.

Dutchie

HappyFeat

Keep at it Dutchie - the bar chart on your log looks better all the time.

My first LR of the month will be tomorrow. Heading out on the trail for 20 miles. Because of the difference in route and the more recent mileage, it should be easier than the 18 of a couple weeks ago that followed a break and had the worst hill at the end. So - smooth sailing ahead :-)  Will have a buddy for the run which is good. Still fine tuning my fueling. Packing along extra snacks for tomorrow just in case.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dutchie42

Happy: what kind of snacks do you bring on a long run? I used to bring gels (lemon taste) and gummy bears on anything over 20 kilometers. Less then 10 miles I'd only bring dextrose in tablet form. I'd eat one if I needed a boost. Especially if I didn't eat properly the night before.

Today I was supposed to run 7K but I accidentally ran 8.6K. Now how do you accidentally run more then your supposed to do? Easy, you pick the wrong route.

I ran the first 7K without walking, but at that point the car was still approx. 2 kilometers away. So I decided to run/walk the next 1.65 kilometers which was not in my training schedule yet. I walked the remaining distance till I got back at my car.

I'm definitely not ready to run 9K. I already jumped from 5 to 7K two Sundays ago and I can do it, but it's definitely not comfortable running yet. And now I'm jumping again to almost 9K. My training schedule said 9K was still 4 weeks away. Hips started to tighten at the end. Love my new shoes though Jumping 2 kilometers on these short distances feels absolutely different than increasing mileage when you're already running long distance ie from 25 to 27 kilometers.

Dutchie

Dutchie42

Should've run 7K this morning, but I was too tired, so slept in

How did your  un go yesterday, Happy?

Dutchie

HappyFeat

Hey Dutchie, you're making steady progress. Yay for great shoes. That is so key. Are you still on the soccer team? How is that going?

I survived my Sunday LR and readily admit it was a tough day out there. I am again battling insomnia and was pretty sleep deprived going into it, so I blame that in part for the low quality  of my run. (Before I even got started, I almost ran my car into a tree when I zoned out staring at my wrist on the wheel! That's how bad off I was.) Anyway, by halfway, my legs were tired and I felt ready to be done. Then about two-thirds into it, my hips and back just started to ache almost constantly - I had a back flare-up about a week ago, thought it was all better - guess not.  Like you - I had to get back to my car though. Plus I was committed to completing the entire run and stopping really wasn't an option. Took 5 long hours to run those hilly 20 miles in pouring rain and I had to walk up most of the last hill. My Garmin map says cumulative elevation gain and loss of about 12,500 feet (3840 meters). Surprisingly I felt fine the next day (didn't run) and tonight I'm getting ready to head out the door for a run. We'll see what my legs have to say about that!

Gotta get some quality sleep though. Been trying different herbal remedies, melatonin, and now a homeopathic product called Calms Forte with minimal success. I probably just need to take more, but I am overly cautious about taking anything. Must get over that fear and take enough of something to actually help.

HappyFeat

Hey Dutchie - how did your week go??

I joined in on a group trail run for a friend's birthday yesterday - 19 miles.  We stopped about 3 times for "aid station breaks," so it was a pretty leisurely outing. Even so, the last 4 miles were hard. Hot glaring sun, dusty rocky old logging road, ugh - so we walked a bit here and there. I did not want to push it since this was supposed to be my "short" weekend. I've got a 20-miler planned for next weekend which will be plenty hard enough.

Still playing with fueling options. Last week I tried mostly a bar that ended up just making me feel full, but not giving me much energy. This week I tried mostly Hammer gels. Ate 4 gels over a 4-hour run and still ended feeling a bit depleted. I've been trying out Tailwind drink and while it goes down like water and doesn't bother my stomach, I'd have to overdrink to get enough calories from it (and that led to 3 stops yesterday).  So that's not the answer. I was using Hammer Perpetuem, but if I drink too much or make it too concentrated, it bothers my stomach when mixed with gels/bloks.  It's a bit of a puzzle. I have at least 2 more 20-milers before the trail marathon to get a handle on it.

Dutchie42

After my accidental 8.5K run I injured my hip somewhat, or maybe because of... Anyways, didn't run for a bit, did do LB strength training though and lots and lots of stretching. Hip is fine now, so started running again after about 8 days I think. Better stick to my schedule. Don't need any other injuries.

Happy: did you figure out your fuel yet? What did you use to fuel with?

Dutchie

HappyFeat

Last long training run done before the GOAT on 9/17 was yesterday.  It went well and I'm hoping for a good time on race day. Training has not gone the way I planned what with the calf and knee injuries, insomnia and fatigue, but it will have to do.

What I did for fueling yesterday is what I plan to do on race day: A Hammer gel every 45 minutes and drink Tailwind (3 scoops per 50 oz water). I'll drink water at the aid stations too.

I've tried Powergel (most vile product ever, although it had caffeine which helped at the time) and Gu (which gives me an acid stomach). The Hammer does not bother my stomach at all - whew. Just wish they had a caffeinated flavor besides Espresso. I haven't tried it since they were out when I ordered my packets a few weeks ago, but maybe I'll like it. It just sounds "heavy."

Dutchie42

How are you feeling Happy? All ready for the GOAT?

My running is still pretty inconsistent. But I am more consistent getting my Leg and UB strength w/os in. So all in all I workout 5 days a week now. But my running really needs to be more regular and definitely much longer with that 15K hilly race in Novemer staring at me from a distance

Dutchie

HappyFeat

36 hours to Go! time. Feel pretty good actually. Forecast has changed from dry to wet: 90% chance of rain. We'll see if that changes before Saturday morning. Having to rethink my race attire.