2000Km-1243 mile club

March 2012 (Read 380 times)

HappyFeat

(((Knees)))

I'm pleased with my mileage and having managed to survive treadmilling for these darker months in better shape than last year. The TM really makes my lower legs unhappy, but not as bad this year. Transferring some of the work to the hips is what has made the difference I believe.

Towards the end of this month, I should be able to start trail running on Saturdays. The person I contacted about doing that with me  is gone til then, but she is interested in running with me. So I'm really looking forward to that.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Apparently another treadmill run today - gale force winds and rain - I'm aiming for 8-10 (which is my long run you ultra marathoners!). 

Contract job is going well and they have invited me to stay on through the fall to organize another drawing set (midsize office building). Still hanging on for a permanent position at another place, waiting on the interview - I'll make a decision next week.

Happy running! A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Another unexpected find today. Last week it was the San Antonio Riverwalk, which is usually so overrun with tourists that you can't even walk it but I found that north of the tourist area it's really quiet, and a nice run along the river that connects with a bike path that goes all the way to Brackenridge Park. 7+ miles.

Then today it was Lexington, Kentucky. I was running through the UK Campus and getting really frustrated because I had to stop for traffic every block but finally found the Kentucky Arboretum which has a nice, peaceful paved 2-mile loop path and also some nice dirt trails through the woods. I got in a nice 10.7 mile hilly run. 

These long runs through unfamiliar cities keep uncovering hidden jewels that I otherwise would never know about!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Good luck with your half marathon tomorrow, Kmays! Hope t goes really well for you.

Glad to hear the temp job is going well, Ayola. That's gotta feel good that they want to keep you at least until the fall.  

Finally got around to looking up what the heck a Suunto Ambit is, Puke....wow...sounds like a must-have for any trail running ultra runner!

MTA: well until I read this about it not linking to the RA site.

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/eb42b5e72ff34536ae9b71498927a1bb

Good luck with your half marathon tomorrow, Kmays! Hope t goes really well for you.

Glad to hear the temp job is going well, Ayola. That's gotta feel good that they want to keep you at least until the fall.  

Finally got around to looking up what the heck a Suunto Ambit is, Puke....wow...sounds like a must-have for any trail running ultra runner!

MTA: well until I read this about it not linking to the RA site.

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/eb42b5e72ff34536ae9b71498927a1bb

Whew, lucky I just splashed out on a Garmin 310xt, just waiting for it to turn up from the US.  Probably won't be here by next weekend, but it was $200 less than what we pay for it in NZ...like just about everything else, including shoes Angry  I heard the Suunto Ambit was going to cost about $500 US and about $800 NZ

Glad to hear the job going well A.  I don't know how you guys do treadmill runs...would probably go mad...luckily our weather is quite mild.

Hope the trail run goes well Happy Smile

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Hope the trail run goes well Happy Smile

I'm bummed because I could not drum up anyone to go with meSad

The gal who is interested is away until the end of the month on a backcountry ski trip somewhere.

So I'm looking at a road run for today. It looks like it will be 40F and gray dreary skies today - not very inviting.

I'm having my coffee and banana and trying to get enthused.

Did my traditonal one week out marathon pace practice run today (that's a finger full).  I tried out a 3:15 pace for 13 miles.  It felt pretty good but I think it is just a little aggressive.

Puke - I came really close to getting the 310xt but I ended up with the slightly smaller 610.  I think you will really like it.

Happy - I'll trail run with you.

Imminent Catastrophe

Happy, sorry your running buddy is out of town. You'll pick it up. 

Jeff, 3:15 is pretty fast, one week to go, you're there!

Brian, am I going to meet Rubberlips?

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

I bet Rubberlips will give you a big fat sloppy kiss, Russ! At least we can hope so! Looks like a wonderful dog.

I ran 14 today, not as fast as last Saturday, but not dehydrated either; so it was more pleasant in that regard.

I did the weighing before and after to see how much I might have sweated today. I lost one pound running 2.5 hours. So I think that means I needed to drink another 16 oz water?  I drank 20 oz Heed while running. I want to get this figured out, but it may take some more tinkering. Next I'll try running one hour, not drinking anything, and weigh before and after - might be a more accurate method of determining how much I sweat in a hour and from there how much I should be drinking.

I lost one pound running 2.5 hours. So I think that means I needed to drink another 16 oz water?

I would caution against trying to make up for all of your hydration loss.  The key is to figure out how much hydration your body can absorb in a given period of time.  It would actually harm your performance to drink too much because it will just buy you an upset stomach.  The cold facts are that you cannot possibly absorb water as fast as you lose it while you are running, and you should expect to lose some weight on a long run.

HappyFeat

Fair enough. I guess as long as I don't have symptoms like I did the week before last (head on fire, but not sweating). I'm doing alright.

I bet Rubberlips will give you a big fat sloppy kiss, Russ! At least we can hope so! Looks like a wonderful dog.

I ran 14 today, not as fast as last Saturday, but not dehydrated either; so it was more pleasant in that regard.

I did the weighing before and after to see how much I might have sweated today. I lost one pound running 2.5 hours. So I think that means I needed to drink another 16 oz water?  I drank 20 oz Heed while running. I want to get this figured out, but it may take some more tinkering. Next I'll try running one hour, not drinking anything, and weigh before and after - might be a more accurate method of determining how much I sweat in a hour and from there how much I should be drinking.

I hope not....Rubberlips was my old nickname..long story.

However this is our black Lab Indy

She won't be around for the ultra...got a dog show to kick butt in, about 4.5 hours south of where I live.  She had her second show last weekend and got best bitch and reserve best of breed.

I have never bothered to check my sweat rate.....usually drink during all my runs, and am always slightly dehydrated when finished but not overly so.

Got myself some calf sleeves yesterday so took them for an 11km test run. Felt OK. Should be alright for Saturday.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Indy is beautiful - no wonder she wins ribbons!

Hmm... rubberlips...can't help but wonder about that Big grin

My concern over dehydration goes back about 10 years when I was routinely doing 14 to 16 mile long runs and I had some post run episodes of vasovagal syncope or fainting  in the night after the run. I was told that in part it was due to "low volume" and that I should be sure I have optimum electrolytes and hydration as a preventive measure.  I've tried to be careful in a general sense since then, but never really analyzed it much.  I think  I've gotten interested in fine tuning since I'm running more than I ever have.

Imminent Catastrophe

Well, after getting bounced off the Atlanta-LAX flight we went through Salt Lake City, got to the connecting flight just as they were closing the door, but we made it to LAX. Tomorrow night we leave for Auckland!

Russ - Good luck and safe travels.  I'm very excited for you.  It should be quite an experience.