2000Km-1243 mile club

November it is (Read 250 times)

HappyFeat

Guess you're right drphibes, it is time to switch the month over.

You did admirably well in your Ragnar Relay Race. Group endeavors can be challenging, for sure.

I had a great time trail running both yesterday and today. The rain held off today, which was quite nice.

Ayola, have a great vacation! Will you run in Mexico?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Currently Movember here in NZ.  Trying desperately hard to grow a moustache worthy of a picture, no luck yet, but only 12 days in.

Great write up drphibes, sounds like a challenging run.  3 legs in a day, great training option.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

3 legs in a day, great training option.

After it was over, I was thinking the same thing.  Got the experience of running on completely dead legs at a little better than marathon pace.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Running Rev'd

After it was over, I was thinking the same thing.  Got the experience of running on completely dead legs at a little better than marathon pace.

I want to do Ragnar some day, preferably Tennessee. I drive up to Sewanee/Monteagle relatively frequently, and I always think about you all running up and over the Cumberland Plateau. It seems absolutely crazy! Sounds like a very neat experience and a great write-up.

This past week I added a new state that I ran in - Hawaii! It was only 2 miles a couple days after an incredibly intense hike that left my whole body (including upper!) sore.

I had a successful race at Marine Corps Marathon at the end of October, knocked another minute and a half off of my PR. I'm running Rocket City in less than a month, which will qualify me for Marathon Maniacs. It seems crazy, but I hope it will be an enjoyable race.

At this point in the year, I'm just thrilled that I'm within easy striking distance of meeting the 2000km, hopefully before November is even over.

Called to Endure - Blog

"Everyone gets the sunset. Only the dedicated earn the sunrise."

You doing JFK this weekend Russ?

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

I had a successful race at Marine Corps Marathon at the end of October, knocked another minute and a half off of my PR. .

That's fantastic Kmays - you're really running well! Congratulations on a new marathon PR.

I want to do Ragnar some day, preferably Tennessee. I drive up to Sewanee/Monteagle relatively frequently, and I always think about you all running up and over the Cumberland Plateau. It seems absolutely crazy! Sounds like a very neat experience and a great write-up.

This past week I added a new state that I ran in - Hawaii! It was only 2 miles a couple days after an incredibly intense hike that left my whole body (including upper!) sore.

I had a successful race at Marine Corps Marathon at the end of October, knocked another minute and a half off of my PR. I'm running Rocket City in less than a month, which will qualify me for Marathon Maniacs. It seems crazy, but I hope it will be an enjoyable race.

At this point in the year, I'm just thrilled that I'm within easy striking distance of meeting the 2000km, hopefully before November is even over.

As Happy said, well done on the marathon PB kmays, and good luck for Rocket City

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Imminent Catastrophe

You doing JFK this weekend Russ?

Yeah, headed up there Thursday. It's the 50th running of the race, which is the oldest 50-miler, so should be special. Weather looks perfect too.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Good luck in the JFK 50 PerfesserR. Hope it all goes very well for you.

I don't know how you do it, that's for sure. You must be in super fantastic shape and your training is paying off big time.

My legs are simply fried after last weekend's back-to-back long runs - and they only totaled 18 miles.

HappyFeat

For all you runners who suffer in the heat, have you seen this item? Someone mentioned it on a podcast I was listening to. It sounds like it would be great in really hot weather!

http://www.iceskulz.com/Products.html

Imminent Catastrophe

Well, I made it. JFK50 on a beautiful day on very light training due to my wonky achilles, my legs really gave up about mile 40 but managed to grind out a finish. I was in the bathroom 5 minutes before the start, didn't realize it's almost a mile away, and started 4-5 minutes late. Finished in 10:02. D'oh! But that's OK, I finished under 11 and my achilles, although it's not happy right now, held up. That's my Western States qualifier for 2014 so that monkey is off my back. 

This is a strange race, it's basically 15 miles on the technical Appalachian Trail, a marathon on a flat (and very scenic) towpath along the Potomac, then 8 miles on rolling roads. No drop bags so shoe selection is difficult. 

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

Sounds like a challenging race with the bad Achilles, PerfesserR, and a great finish time! Well done! Congratulations on qualifying for WS100 too. (So I looked at your results and you're just above mid-pack status...not just a finisher....a competitorCool)

That's my Western States qualifier for 2014 so that monkey is off my back.  

Great work Russ.  I think your Tarawera 100 time was also a WS qualifier as well, or was that for 2013?

Now I guess you need to wait on the lottery?

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Imminent Catastrophe

Pukekura,

Yes, Tarawera was my 2013 (2012 lottery) qualifier. JFK got me in for 2014 so now I can just run the races I want to run without having to navigate the politics of WS100 qualifiers. Strangely, Rio Del Lago 100 is NOT a qualifier for WS100, although it used to be. They won't explain how they choose which races count and which don't, I think there are some politics involved. For example, the Antelope Island 100 is two identical loops of the 50-miler, which is held on the same course, on the same day. For some reason the 50-miler is a qualifier but the 100-miler is not! And the WS100 board won't explain why. 

Honestly, WS100 is like the Boston Marathon, if you disregard the history and hype, the race itself is overrated. Tahoe is way tougher and more beautiful so if I don't get into WS it'll be OK.

As for the achilles tendon, I really babied it because I really didn't think it would hold up. I switched from my usual Inov-8's to a more cushioned Brooks shoe, used a heel strike, and whenever there was a big step down I always made the (good) left foot take the blow. It seemed to work.

Imminent Catastrophe

Yay!