2000Km-1243 mile club

Hello April (Read 526 times)

HappyFeat

10 mpm is my goal race pace...seems impossible right now....today's 10:34 was a hard effort...partly ran fast today to see where I'm at. I have lots of time before the HM in September though and believe I'll get there. I want to get there by August and I want my LR to be in the 14-16 mile range. Those are my goals for my 55th birthday anyway...to be running what I was in my 40's. How sad is that!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

I've graduated from dogs to tornados.  When I arrived at work yesterday evening and pulled into the parking lot I looked up over the building in front of me and saw a tornado touching down.  I freaked out!   I had no idea which way it was going since I just spotted it.  Luckily it was moving right to left in front of me because I really had no where to go.  It touched down in the switchyard outside the plant and snapped all the power lines and then took out a couple of buildings on site.  I'm happy to report we had no injuries but we won't be producing electricity for quite a while.

Dutchie42

Not much running this week. I sometimes get into this extremely tired/sleepy/headache phase. I just went with the flow. Have no race to prep for, so not running doesn't do any damage.

Although I'm trying to build back a base mileage, before prepping for my 30K race in september.

Heffa: that must've been a very scary experience, but spectacular too. Hope noone got hurt?

Happy: to work on being your best is not sad at all!

Perfesser: I know you can do it and do it well! Try running what you feel like. Just get out there for 10 minutes at a nice easy pace and I'm sure you'll be away for much longer. If the race is 3 weeks away, shouldn't you be tapering anyway?

Dutchie
        Run the day, or the day runs you.

I think this forum needs a Heffa-cam... Jeff: I'm glad you are OK.

Happy: I just made it into my 40s and I'd be thrilled to be running now what you are running in your 50s. You are putting in solid consistent work, so it looks like your goal is right in sight. We do have similar goals -  I'm going to try some longer runs this summer, up to 18 miles to make a decision about marathon training in 2012. But I'm a minute slower per mile! We can only see how it goes and enjoy the snow sunshine as it comes.

MTA: I peaked at your log - hey that would have been a HM PR for me! OK  - back to taxes.

Recalculating...

Wow, I turn my back for a few days and everything happens: dogs, tornads, longest runs , fastest runs, Russ loses his mojo and then gets it back.  If things are going to be this active, I'll have to get back to regular checkins.

Race went very well today. 4:12:11.  Splits were close (2:05/2:07).  Ran the whole way except for water stops (sweat too much to do a splash and go so have to walk to be sure I get everything in).  Might have been a little faster except the last 6 were into a 20-25 mph headwind (of course 13-19 had that wind at my back).  If you're ever looking for a fast spring race I can highly recommend this one.  Flat, scenic, small, well-organized. 

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

HappyFeat

Yaay! Brian!   "Flat, scenic, small, well-organized" sounds like it couldn't have been more perfect. The wind an obvious challenge though. I had trouble running into a 10 mph wind yesterday; I doubt I'd move forward at all if it was double that! You did great and choosing this one in lieu of the Andrew Jackson was obviously the right decision.

Jeff,  A tornado hit your workplace! in front of your eyes - that's just crazy talk! Wink   Really must have been shocking and scary for you. A moving threat like that - and then to do all that damage right in front of you. I'm very glad you are okay. Was anyone in the buildings that were hit?  How are your calves feeling BTW? any better than last week?

I appreciate the positive feedback, Ayola and Dutchie.

It's nice feeling like we're in this endeavor together - sharing ups, downs, goals, and accomplishments.

How are your doggies feeling, Dutchie? any better??

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Brian - NIce race!  I must say I was a little disappointed that you skipped the hot race but you more than made up for it with that effort.  Great job!

We are still digging out and assessing the tornado damage here at work.  The stories are starting to filter in from around the site and it sounds like there were some close calls.  The building that was pretty much leveled actually had 2 people inside.  They dove under a big truck (that the company had just purchased brand new) and the building fell down and crushed the new truck but they were unhurt.  We are missing two other rather large bucket trucks and we have no idea where they went.  I'm feeling much more fortunate today because this morning on the way home from work we got our first good look at the damage and the reality set in that I was about 300 yards away from not being here anymore.  It definitely could have been much worse.  I'll see if I can get some pictures loaded today after work.

Good run Brian....is that a PR?

Well in NZ it has been boring......no tornados or dog attacks......I think I like boring. :-)

Had my final long run before the Rotorua Marathon at the end of the month.  Did 28km over the hilly part of the actual marathon course and managed it 15 minutes faster than last year, with better heart rate, so pretty happy with how things are looking with less than 2 weeks to go. Even managed a 2km cool down jog....unheard of for me.  Feeling a bit sore today, so having a rest day.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Loves the outdoors

Heffa - O Wow! That sounds so scary! So you have trucks missing? Trucks? That is just so hard to imagine. I bet you won't forget that in a hurry.

Pukekura - Good luck for Rotorua. Looks like a great course.

Happyfeat - I often think that about my paces when something slower than goal pace for a shorter distance feels so hard. Taper and race day magic is amazing stuff. Sounds like you are getting some good training in.

ayola - I just made it into my 40's too. I am determined that they'll be better than my 30's!

Drphibes - great race!

Dutchie - scary dogs! I've had a heap of dog attacks recently. Some people really shouldn't be responsible for dogs as they have no idea. None! 

I had an enjoyable 12km run in gale force winds today. How? I ran with the wind and got picked up at the end! Really fun having the wind at my back for the entire time pushing me along.  However, one of my regular routes has been ruined a little by crazy bad people. A trail along the river that I run frequently has had 2 women attacked on it this year. The last attack happened at 1pm last Tues, 2 hours after I ran by the same spot. 1pm! I try to remain vigilant and I run with my biggish dog, but it's added a level of low-lying worry on some runs now. Particularly today as no one else was out in gale-force conditions so I felt more exposed. I will still run my route, but hope that my vigilance and my DOG (I really hope I'm not being naive here) will keep me safe. 

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Here is an attempt to load a picture of some of the tornado damage near my work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcafitch/5630818041/

Imminent Catastrophe

Heffa-wow, close call! Kind of puts things in perspective, doesn't it? I'm glad you're OK.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Thanks everyone!  Yes, that was a PR (by almost 14 minutes, if I may toot my own horn).  Most important, to me, was I had close splits and stayed with it the whole way.  The positive experience I was looking for and I'm geared up to try again.  If my calves and quads ever stop hurting...

Next weekend it looks like Jeff and Russ are racing (on opposite ends of the distance spectrum).  Then in two weeks its Phil and pukekura (on opposite ends of the earth).  Anyone else?

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Imminent Catastrophe

Next weekend it looks like Jeff and Russ are racing (on opposite ends of the distance spectrum).  Then in two weeks its Phil and pukekura (on opposite ends of the earth).  Anyone else?

Speaking of...

I noticed that Jeff's next race is sponsored by the YMCA. Miwok finish is now at the Marin YMCA. So, guess what song is endlessly playing in my head? 

Young man...

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Good race Brian, I hope to run that well in a few weeks.  It has been tough to motivate and get out the door lately, but I'm hoping I will feel good by race time.

Close call Heffa, glad to see you are ok.

Good luck in you race Pukekura, seems like you should be in good shape to improve on last year.

It's my night off from night shift so I'm staying up through the night to stay on schedule.  Went for an easy 7 miles at 3 AM, temps 65F, almost full moon...it was awesome!