2000Km-1243 mile club

11-17 October Weekly check-in (Read 332 times)

Hope this is a good omen for the racers tomorrow: I PR'd by  7 minutes (1:54:08) at the Middle Half this morning.  The plan was to start with a 9:15, then run 8:45 through 10 and then pick it up.  Executed to perfection and finished with 8:27, 8:30, 8:04.  Perfect morning for a run: 42 and clear, no wind, close to 60 at the finish.

Good luck Dutchie and Perfesser.

Russ, sorry to hear about Georgia.  Sounds like you helped her have a far better life then she would have otherwise.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

HappyFeat

Way to go, Brian!!  Let's hope it's a very good omen for Dutchie and PerfesserR.

Keep us posted on Georgia's situation...Sad

Ran 10 miles today on the "rolling hills route."  It went ok. I took it slow and managed to run up all the hills.  The "cougar seen in area" sign gave it a more "interesting" feel; but all I saw was some deer.

I had not decided what route I wanted to run when I left the house and was wearing low cut socks. Grrrr!  Had to stop a million times to get debris out of my socks and shoes. I'm a magnet for that s**t. It's a bike trail, for gods sake; ya wouldn't think ya'd have to wear gaiters!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Nice run Brian!  I love it when a plan comes together.  Way to put the pressure on every body else Smile.

Russ - Good luck with Georgia.  We recently lost our 18 year old cat to similar symptoms.  Hope yours turns out better.

Dog-Love

Good luck racers

Nice PR DrPhibes..by 7 minutes.  You have a lot of PRs left in you at this rate!!!

Take care of your doggie Perfesser. 

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
          Dutchie42

Well I ran the half. Finished in 2:16:09 (official time). My previous best time was 2:25:12. I PR-ed with 9:03 minutes.

Why do I keep doing this to myself. Was I pleased that I finally PR-ed in a half marathon? Yes, ofcourse. I've been trying to PR for three years now. Did I enjoy the race? No. I was so focused on maintaining pace I didn't have any fun. And after the 15K mark, when we had to run a pretty steep underpass, I totally ran out of steam and was so fed up with what I was doing or trying to achieve. I had so much more fun last Sunday when I did a 20 kilometer training run.I loved to race back when I was just showing up at the starting line and didn't care how long it took to get to the finish. I'd chat with the volunteers, i'd look around, I'd do a little dance for a band that was playing, take a photo here and there, etc. I didn't like running this race. I didn't like running the 10-miler a month ago.I'm gonna stop chasing after a PR. I'm done with that. I know I can do it if I follow a training plan. Today proved that. Again. 

I'm gonna race for fun again.

Dutchie
            Run the day, or the day runs you.

I'm gonna race for fun again.

Dutchie: first, big congratulations on the PR.  A nine minute drop on a 13 mile race is a great accomplishment.  Second, I think only YOU can define what is fun and you should only do what is fun.  The critical thing is that you stay on the road, stay healthy and continue to progress toward your fitness goals.  And its mighty hard to do that if you aren't having fun along the way. 

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Dutchie42

drPhibes: you're right. I can't understand why I don't feel happy. I didn't feel happy after my PR in the 10 miler a month ago. I don't feel happy now. It may sound weird. but there's this feeling of disappointment. And I don't know why. Maybe because I wasn't enjoying myself?

And congrats on your PR. 7 minutes! Way to go!

Dutchie
                Run the day, or the day runs you.

Imminent Catastrophe

Detroit Free Press Marathon done. It was a nice race in great weather, over the bridge, a couple miles through Hamilton, Canada and back through the tunnel. I hit the half at 2:01 and the wheels started turning--sub 4? Possible. So I ended up with a 3:58:19, first time under 4 for a long time (first on a flat course in almost 3 yrs) and best of all, finished feeling good with a 3:30 negative split. And I don't think I broke anything.

Almost caught the bunny!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Congrats to all the runners this weekend!  Some reallly nice runs out there.

Imminent Catastrophe

Dutchie, I think I know how you feel. A while back I spent a long time training to race and although I PR'ed, I just didn't enjoy it, it felt like a second job that I wasn't very good at. So while I still have goals, now I run mainly for enjoyment and especially enjoy the trails, no matter how slowly I run them. And, I'm having fun again!

When I volunteered at a trail run last weekend was the most fun of all, made some new friends, and I wasn't running at all.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

Almost caught the bunny!

Yeah- you and me both! Soon though, methinksClown Well done in Detroit!

How's Georgia? What's the diagnosis?

Dutchie, sometimes it's hard to get to the bottom of what feelings mean, whether they are calling for a complete change of direction or just a change of pace. The key is to keep asking yourself the questions and see what comes up for you. It can take time to get clarity. 

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Imminent Catastrophe

How's Georgia? What's the diagnosis?

The vet is stumped, we're seeing a doggie neurologist next week. She has good days and bad days.