2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly checkin: 15-21 november (Read 496 times)

This is my first try posting pictures from my new flickr account.  This is the new walking/running trail near my house.  It's a beautiful loop about 5 miles long donated to the town by a local philanthropist.  Let me know how the post looks please.

HappyFeat

It looks like a very inviting trail - I'll be right over! Big grin

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Imminent Catastrophe

Picked up my packet for tomorrow--number 69! Clown

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

I googled numerology for 69 and got this:

"Represents the perfection reached by those which liquidated their Karma, as a reward of the tests passed."

So I think your bib number is a good omen for your run tomorrow. Best of luck!

Good luck Russ!

Home from Memphis and the St. Judes Memphis Marathon.  Hoped to break 4:22, went out at 4:15 pace, held that very comfortably for the first 16 and then things went south.  Finished with a 4:25:53.  PR by 13 minutes or so.  Got to figure out how to get smarter and get back to neutral splits.

I had run the half there two years ago and can highly recommend both.  They cap the field at relatively low number (about 12,000 between the two races) so its a big race, but not too big nor too crowded.  Yesterday's weather was really nice so there was plenty of crowd support.  At one point you cut through the grounds of St. Jude's Children's Hospital and large number of staff, patients and family are out cheering. While it is not a hilly course, its also not a flat one.  In fact, there's probably not a single flat mile to be found.  You're always going up or down, usually gently, but always one or the other.  Also, the water stops are at every mile so you never have to think about where the next one is.  The finish is in the AAA baseball stadium where they serve hot food and you can use the showers in the baseball locker rooms. Plenty of good places to eat and drink after the race too.

Your turn Russ.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Brian - Congrats on the nice PR.  You really made some step improvements this year.  I don't know if you need to worry about running smarter if you are pulling off 13 minute PR's.

I went for a 15 miler today.  It's been a little while since I've run that far but I really wanted to test out the new supplements and I figured going a little past my current comfort zone would be a good test.  I ended up taking 6 Perpetuems, 4 Endurolytes and 16 oz of water.  Overall I felt pretty good.  I think I was a little light on fuel towards the end.  Now I just need to tweak the dosing.  I was thinkiing about getting away from gels completely, but if todays run is any indication I have a hard time getting down enough perpetuem to cover my fueling needs.  Depending on the drinks at the race I might be able to use the sports drink on the course and that would help too.

Imminent Catastrophe

Nice run Brian, and a PR!

Well, I survived my 40-miler today and got a PR too (by default). Before the start a lot of experienced runners were saying how tough and rocky the trail was, which was NOT what I needed to hear then, I was already nervous enough. Anyway, they were right--that trail was really hard, 40 miles of rocks and roots cleverly concealed under fallen leaves. I was doing fairly well until mile 19-22, where the trail runs through really nasty ravines and canyons, this 3 miles took me over an hour. Anyway, I finished in 9:31. I'm obviously really tired and got some aches and pains but seem to have no significant injuries. My calf was never an issue, it was the thing I was worried about. That was the hardest trail I've ever run a race on so I'm pretty satisfied.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

The Boyz all did GREAT this weekend - way to go! We're proud of you.

Russ!! You ran for 9 and a half hours! No falls?  What food did you use for re-fueling? Did you have anyone to crew for you? Someone would need to provide me with some espresso, I think. I'm relieved the calf held strong; what a mysterious injury there.

Brian - Congratulations on your PR. The St Judes marathon sounds very well set up, both during and after the run. Hot showers really are a nice touchSmile

Sad news here. My best friend's Golden Retriever Darby (aka Darbylicious) does not have a foxtail up her nose as suspected, but  f-ing cancer! Since you cannot cut off a dog's nose and there's no cure, Darby's days are few. So so heartbreaking.

Imminent Catastrophe

Well, just one fall, and a few close calls. I have a nasty looking left knee for a souvenir. I used all sorts of things for carbs--boiled potatoes dipped in salt are great. Pretzels, gels and even some tasty grilled cheese sandwiches at mile 23, which really hit the spot. No crew but I had a drop bag at mile 28 with saltines and, best of all, Starbucks Doubleshot Espresso, which I drank at mile 33. Oh, that was heavenly! 

Woo hoo - lots of great racing out there. Neat trail Jeff.

Back on track this morning after solving a mini work crisis, squash stuffed with wild rice dinner, good night sleep and easy 3 mile run on a beautiful clear cool morning - we are getting a great December - its like runners gone wild this morning - I counted more than 25 on my route before 6am.

Tomorrow 6 miles.

Happy Wednesday, A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Easy 11 mile run along a seedy section of Sunset Blvd in LA. What a change from the trails in FDR State Park! I'm happy and a bit surprised by how quickly I've recovered from that race. 

C'mon Happy, we're almost there!

HappyFeat

Easy 11 mile run along a seedy section of Sunset Blvd in LA. What a change from the trails in FDR State Park! I'm happy and a bit surprised by how quickly I've recovered from that race. 

C'mon Happy, we're almost there!

And just what are you doing there?? I'm amazed at how you bee-bop all over this country. You are definitely on the go - I don't know whether I envy you or not!

We are almost There, aren't we! I'm so excitedClown

MTA: I'm sure not having Ayola's experience - I ran my 10 miles on the bike trail yesterday and never saw another soul. I hardly every see anyone running, but I often see cyclists or walkers- not this time.

MYA Again: There might be something to the info in that thread about not stopping during your long runs. After reading that a week or so ago, I've done three 8 milers without stopping and was surprised to find yesterdays run was easier than I thought it would be.

Hiya, I guess everyone here is taking advantage of the weirdly warm weather this week. Rainy but warm right now 5º (forties) usually snow would be on the ground.

I passed 1000 miles yesterday on my Tuesday progression run before weight training. I've tried to make running light and easy, since my disapointing race, often running without my frenemy the Garmin.  My goal was (obviously?) 1243 but I'm happy to say I've also put in almost 40 hours of weight training. I've learned some new things about the ole body and lost 6% body fat. Woo hoo!

The down side is that my HM time did not improve that much because I devoted a bunch of hours to non-running activity. My plan is break up my year into running and rebuilding phases. So I'll be weight training will be primary through January but I"ll start ramping up the miles in February and letting the weight training take a back seat through June. And run 2000K

That's the plan! My next check in will probably be from the in-laws easy chair in Labrador... I'm really looking forward to it, hubby and I have had a bit of works stress (moved to Halifax for the job)  so we will have time to evaluate in one of the most beautiful places I've seen.

Happy Wednesday, A

PS I had a great "Terre Madre" dinner at a local restaurant featuring a local sheep farmer. I believe this is the day that people celebrate the slow food movement with a meal focused on local home prepared foods. Next year I'm hoping to host one of these myself.

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

11 miles in icy, windy Central Park today and, I'm done! 

Also got into the Miwok 100k today. Yikes!