2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check In Sept 7 - 13 (Read 328 times)

While we wait for the race reports from the long and longer distance runners, here's mine from this morning's 10K.

If you run a race on Labor Day in middle Tennessee you plan on plenty of heat and humidity.  This was definitely true when I ran this 10K for the first time last year when temps were near 80 at the start and upper 80's by the finish.  To make matters worse (for me), the first and second water stops were out of water by the time I got there so I didn't get any water until 4.5 miles in (since then I've learned that I'm responsible for my own water, water on the course is not guaranteed).  I wound up dragging myself across the line at 1:08:23 (11:01 pace). 

Today the weather was clear, low 70's, low humidity.  Perfect summer running weather.  My goal was to simply beat last year's time and have a good marathon prep.  The plan was to run 11:00 for the first 4 miles (theoretical marathon pace) and then pick it up the last two miles and come in under 1:06.  My splits:

• 10:09
    • 10:19
    • 10:40 (the uphill part of the course)
    • 10:14
    • 9:30
    • 8:26
    • 1:45 (6:43 pace)
    Apparently I'm not good at executing my plans.  Official time: 1:01:03. A PR by seven minutes (I hadn't run a 10K since last year's race).  Even better than that: I could have gone faster.  At the 4 mile mark I was just cruising along.  Even the last two miles I wasn't hurting until the sprint to the finish.  All this training really has made a difference.  Nice to get some positive reinforcement.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Well now that I am recovered from my long day (up at 3 am for race preps until after the Black Crowes concert at midnight) I can fill in the rest of the race report.

RNR Virginia Beach is the largest event that I do each year and the logistics behind the race are very difficult.  Luckily I have done it a bunch of times and have some local area knowledge.  This year worked out the best so far.  I didn't sleep great the night before since I get so worked up over races but I felt plenty rested at my 3 AM wakeup call.  A quick bite to eat and a once over of my gear bags and I was out the door.  I met at my friends house which is only a short drive from the course at 5 AM.  We went to our usually parking location and hopped on the shuttle to the start.  We were at the staging area by 5:45 and started getting ready.  All of my pre-race preps complete by 6 AM and gear check complete we had one hour for last minute hydration and warmups.

The weather was absolutely perfect and my confidence was building as the minutes passed.  Everything was going perfectly as I went through my plan for the race.  I trained for somewhere around a 7:00 mile so I planned to go out a little slower (probably about 7:10) and see how everything felt and go from there. 

I completed my last port-a-potty trip, watched the elites start, then headed to corral 2.  I timed it just perfect and as corral 1 launched I blended into the throng and started almost immediately.  The first mile clicked off in about 6:50 and I knew I was now off plan and just making it up as I went.  I managed to calm down a little for mile 2 and clocked a 7:00, but I was still way too fast.  It was decision time, slow down and get back on plan or try to continue at this speed and try to break 1:30........yeah, 1:30 it is!

There's not much to tell for the next 8 miles.  The course is flat, the bands went by so fast you could barely tell what they were playing and I was in the zone.  The miles clicked by at about 6:50, heartrate steady at 155, and it felt like I could do it all day.

Mile 10 was suddenly upon me and a quick calculation said I was well on track for a sub 1:30.  Some people started passing me and I decided I was not going to push the last couple of miles.  I had quite a bit left but I knew I had far exceeded my goals for the race and I decided to just enjoy the last couple of miles and take it all in.  I cruised up the Virginia Beach boardwalk and for the first race ever I was completely satisfied with my result!  Final time of 1:29:43 and a PR by almost 6 minutes.

...---...

Brian - Heff - awesome PR's. Sounds like you both had a great time too.

I'll get my RR up soon (I think) but for now just wanted to check in with everyone and say thanks for the well wishes for me yesterday. I finished it, albeit slower than I thought, but I finished. Feeling pretty good today, much to my surprise. A little stiff but not bad. Not really sore either which is a shock considering the constant up and down and twists and turns. My shoulder & lower neck area is far more sore (from the camelbak) than anything else. 

Took the doggies for a little recovery walk this afternoon - trails are great on the body. I already feel mostly recovered (although I know I'm not). 

Have a great week all. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

congratulations drphibes and heffa!!  i love hearing about new PR's Smile

so its tuesday here now.  yesterday i did 6k recovery but to be honest my legs are still a bit sore this morning despite that.  which is annoying as i'm scheduled to do a 5k race tonight.  still i'll give it a try and see how it goes - i'm almost 5lbs lighter than i was when i raced 5k just over 2 weeks ago so maybe that will help!  either way it will be good speedwork!

have a good week everyone

Dog-Love

Nice reports. I feel your excitement in a 6 minute PR.

Today...well...hmmm....no exertion what-so-ever.... No run...no bike...no weights...just rest.  I had a  long massage (I may have PRed on the massage table)

Tomorrow I hope for a nice and easy 6 mile trail run

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

...---...

Nothing new to report - still resting up a bit. I'm planning on a few hotel treadmill miles tomorrow morning.

Mandy - how did the 5K go?

Crabby - ah, a massage! Once again, envious over here. 

Modified for spelling. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Very easy 6.2 taper run today. It's also the start of carb loading. Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream. Mmmmmmmmmmm...

Another reason why I run.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dog-Love

I am running a tough one tomorrow so I just cycled for 45 minutes.  Not as good a running for me but different kinds of muscles for sure.  Hmmm Ben and Jerry's think I might have to get some of that tomorrow.  Power of suggestion.
                  Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Did a couple more easy runs.  I'm turning my focus to barefooting a little more so I've been working on that.  Good luck to all the upcoming racers.  Seems like our group is really running some good ones. 

Brian - Sounds like you are in great shape right now.  Congrats on the huge PR.  I think you are going to do very well at Chicago.

2 days in a row of barefoot.  Just 1.2 miles followed by 1.4 miles but it felt good and my speed is getting much closer to my normal easy pace.  No blisters or hot spots.  I think I am getting the hang of this.  I think I will still use my shoes for my long run this weekend though.

Imminent Catastrophe

Very easy short tuneup run today in SLC. The cool, dry air felt really good, short strides at MP felt good. But what's with all these pains in my legs? Right shin, left ankle, right knee, I haven't had those while I was doing heavy weeks, now when I'm tapering I feel like I'm going to pieces...hopefully all just nerves. I swear the right shin feels like when I had a stress fracture. Gah. I don't think I've ever been this nervous about a race.

When I woke up in my hotel room this morning I discovered the bedspread was covered with cat hair  Ewwww! Good thing I'm not allergic. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

When I woke up in my hotel room this morning I discovered the bedspread was covered with cat hair  Ewwww! Good thing I'm not allergic. 

That would be from the fabled ghost cats of Utah.  They visit wayward travelers during the night and scratch your shins to keep their claws sharp. Occasionally they will sit on your chest and disappear right as you open your eyes leaving you wondering why you're so short of breath.  Set out an opened can of tuna and a few small balls of yarn and they'll leave you alone.  Good news: they're guaranteed good luck on race day.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Good luck tomorrow Russ... and anybody else racing this weekend.

Top 'O the World!

Nope, next wknd....letting the bunny *hang* for the taper....
                              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

...---...

Yep - good luck Russ! Can't wait to hear how you do.

3.4 on the hotel treadmill.  - looking for some decent places to run in Newport News, VA. Anybody have a suggestion? Trails would be cool too. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12