2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check in: 3 - 9 January 2011 (Read 401 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm behind already too- but not for long. I expect to be ahead by the weekend. My first run of the new year was last night - 5 miles - and it was cold and quick (for me!) Felt strong though which felt really really good. On the first, I want snowshoeing for a couple hours. Gorgeous day for that. Took a photo of a snow covered tree that I think looks like an eagle. What do you think?

Running goals for the new year?

Get consistent with 30-35 mpw base.

Regain 10 mpm average pace.

That's all I can come up with right now. 

Hi TreyWelcome back.

Pareidolia is fun!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

pareidolia - now, there's a word you don't see every day! I had to look it up.

Ayola: what can you tell us about Brad Hudson's book "Run Faster"??

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

HappyFeat

I'm in San Antonio for Saturday's 50k, it's supposed to be a tough one! The motto of the race is "Everything here cuts, bites or stings". 

HAH!!  I have a solution:

I'll go ahead of you and clear the way of all dangers, OK? Now you don't have to be nervous at all!

Can't wait to hear all about it. I looked at the website photos of the area and it's gorgeous.

Take some pics of your own for us if you can.

OUCH! drphibes Did you get DOMS from THAT? How'd you do on today's run?

Didn't run Thursday.  Not from soreness just from laziness.  By plan it was supposed to be a rest day.  Did run this morning and no problems with the knee at all.

How about you Happy?  Still keeping to your plan for the week?

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Dutchie42

Didn't run Thursday.  Not from soreness just from laziness. 

Ha, so did I this morning Wink

Missed my run on Thursday too, cause I was supposed to work the morning only and run after lunch. But things went crazy at work with things being messed up for company award winners and I had to straighten that out before I could go. Which meant I had to stay till 6PM Angry Oh well, I now have the next 3 Thursdays off Joking

Dutchie
            Run the day, or the day runs you.

HappyFeat

How about you Happy?  Still keeping to your plan for the week?

The weekly plan is going really well. I've done six weeks  of it now where the Saturday Long Run is 10 miles. It's gotten easier over time. I was trying to go  longer before that, but it was really hard then. Now I've got the Wednesday night 8-miler firmly in place, the Saturday run has gotten easier; so I'm ready to extend it. Tonight is a Rest Day since I'll run tomorrow morning...planning on 12 miles.  I don't want to jinx it, but I'm having very little soreness, tightness, or twinges beyond what I would normally expect.

A local physical therapy office is starting a running club. They'll be having Wed. night speed/strength workouts at the high school track. I signed up for it and am hopeful that I'll fit in and be able to do the workouts.  It will mean moving my 8-m to Tuesday; but I think I'll be OK with that.

Hmmm I'll have to think about summing up the book. I like the general training plans as it seems to build length in daily runs before building the long run. Anyways, 5.5 miles yesterday; short run today with 60 min weight training. Lots of squats so my bottom hurts!

Recalculating...

Dutchie42

This morning was a 7 kilometer doggie run with both Spikey and Spooky with a moonless sky, so quite dark! And silly me forgot the lights for myself and the dogs. Luckily, there rarely is traffic on a Saturday at 7AM. I didn't see anything or anyone, not till I was back in our neighbourhood close to 8AM.

After, I did a 30min LB strength training w/o plus abs. Nice!

Dutchie

I"m drinking tea with honey and lemon and about to go for 6 miles in a lovely light snow. I love Saturday mornings.

A

Recalculating...

5 miles in light snow.  First time I've run with snow coming down.  It's hard to create an intersection between my schedule, falling snow and light enough snow that the roads are safe to get out to a running route (since we're on the brine and sun snow clearing system).

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

HappyFeat

3 PM check-in after completing 12 miler. I wanted to run the last 2 miles a little faster and accomplished that - yay!

It's a gorgeous sunny day here, temps in the 40's but with an arctic breeze.

I'm sitting on an ice pack as I type. My pyriformis or one of the other lateral rotators, especially on the left are ohh so unhappy. I tweaked it somehow while getting firewood last night - I have no flippin idea how, It didn't complain while running until the last couple miles, of course - prolly psychosomatic; but hurts now I'm done.

I thought of PerfesserR running his 50K as I was out there feeling like 12 was a long distance. Put it into perspective.

Imminent Catastrophe

Quick check-in: It became obvious in the first couple miles that this would be a tough run, and man, was it. Rocks, rocks rocks. Loose rocks on steep slopes, mile after mile (BTW there's a reason they call this the "Hill Country"). By mile 5 I was holding on for a sub-7 and made it, by about 5 minutes. I will be seeing rocks in my nightmares for days. And my feet feel like someone took a baseball bat to them, including a nasty thumb-sized blister that accompanied me from mile 5. 

Don't mess with Texas! Smile

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

So now your signature quote takes on a whole new meaning, doesn't it, PerfesserR?

Good job toughing it out.

Dutchie42

So now your signature quote takes on a whole new meaning, doesn't it, PerfesserR?

Good job toughing it out.

Smile

Today was a 6K doggie run and 15K on the treadmill. Something's up with my L-achilles, or at least that area. since yesterday afternoon while running errands. Nothing in particular happened, so that means overuse, right? It doesn't hurt when foam rolling, pressing or stretching that area. Don't know what's up.

It was gone when I woke up this morning, till I went downstairs. Yikes! It was noticeable during both runs, but not painful. I hope it stays that way... have a marathon in my future.

Dutchie

HappyFeat

Dutchie: Good long run for you today!  Have you tried icing your AT? When mine is acting up, I do that a couple times a day, plus stretching and massage. Possibly it's your PF that's the source? Have you rolled your foot around on a tennis ball to see if it's tight or painful? It if is, it could be causing the pull on the AT.

PerfesserR: I can't figure out what your new avatar is

Weather update: Woke up to snowingSurprised It's only 33F, but the flakes are falling fast - a couple inches in a short time. There was a prediction for "flurries," which of course I didn't believe.