2000Km-1243 mile club

March 2014 (Read 14 times)

Nearly the middle of March already.  How is everyone feeling?

I have been building up to run the last 40 km as a pacer at the Tarawera Ultra this weekend.  Also put my hand up as a volunteer to stand on the corner and direct runners for the first couple of hours.  Probably my only chance to catch a glimpse of the elite runners as they fly past.

In last years race they had to do a last minute course change due to fire risk in the forest.  This year we have Tropical Cyclone Lusi bearing down and expected to hit mid race.  Could be fun.  From heat stroke one year to hypothermia the next.  Luckily most of us are prepared but we still get some people under-estimating the dangers of trail running in bad weather.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Hi Puke! So Cyclone Lusi might add just a little excitement to the race, eh?  "severe gales and torrential rains"  What, no lightning? Sheesh!  Hope your buddy does well and that you enjoy your stint at pacing him, along with the volunteering.

My running is kind of up and down these days. For example, I had splendid runs  last Saturday and Monday, and then felt really  lousy last night. Today was a bit better, but not great.  Overall though my legs and core feel really strong, like I've had some kind of fitness jump, which feels really good.

I have a 10K race coming up this Saturday - which I have not trained for. My left hamstring has a lingering problem and intervals make it cry; so I've given them up for a while. I'll be lucky to run under an hour for the 10K. Of course I'm going to do my best and I expect I'll really aggravate the hammy. Hopefully it will recover in time for the trail half marathon set for mid-April - which I also haven't trained for.  I'm having trouble lining up a running buddy to go out in the forest with these days and I don't like to go alone.

Lessee, other news.

the bad: I ran a disappointing 25K trail race last month.

the good: I figured out why...a failure in my training.  Last year I did quite a few trail runs and hilly routes in training, but this year I couldn't because my trail running buddy hasn't been available.This year I worked mainly on distance, which was great, but didn't prepare my muscles for the work required in this race. So after about 2 hours, I got cramps in my calves, hams, and glutes that continued the rest of the race. It took me 3:50 this year compared to 3:35 last year (and that included tripping and limping for the last 45 minutes last year.)  Obviously for next year, I'll beef up my training!

Anyone else with news??

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Hi Puke! So Cyclone Lusi might add just a little excitement to the race, eh?  "severe gales and torrential rains"  What, no lightning? Sheesh!  Hope your buddy does well and that you enjoy your stint at pacing him, along with the volunteering.

My running is kind of up and down these days. For example, I had splendid runs  last Saturday and Monday, and then felt really  lousy last night. Today was a bit better, but not great.  Overall though my legs and core feel really strong, like I've had some kind of fitness jump, which feels really good.

I have a 10K race coming up this Saturday - which I have not trained for. My left hamstring has a lingering problem and intervals make it cry; so I've given them up for a while. I'll be lucky to run under an hour for the 10K. Of course I'm going to do my best and I expect I'll really aggravate the hammy. Hopefully it will recover in time for the trail half marathon set for mid-April - which I also haven't trained for.  I'm having trouble lining up a running buddy to go out in the forest with these days and I don't like to go alone.

Lessee, other news.

the bad: I ran a disappointing 25K trail race last month.

the good: I figured out why...a failure in my training.  Last year I did quite a few trail runs and hilly routes in training, but this year I couldn't because my trail running buddy hasn't been available.This year I worked mainly on distance, which was great, but didn't prepare my muscles for the work required in this race. So after about 2 hours, I got cramps in my calves, hams, and glutes that continued the rest of the race. It took me 3:50 this year compared to 3:35 last year (and that included tripping and limping for the last 45 minutes last year.)  Obviously for next year, I'll beef up my training!

Anyone else with news??

I know, no lightening, shouldn't even call it bad weather.....

I know it is hard to take it easy in a race sometimes, but it sounds like that's what you should do in the 10k.  Run further back in the pack and enjoy yourself, talk to others, then smash then in a sprint finish :-)

As for training...completely over-rated.  I have had plans to train properly for my next marathon in May, not going to happen.  Will have to rely on the top few inches...again

Goals 2016

Do stuff

No news, just running along to plan - the interval runs are adding in a bit of soreness But giving me more confidence in the 10-10:40 m/m range. Long runs have been iffy - new project at work and I'm tired by the weekends -  we will see how this Saturday goes...

Happy - Training for specific conditions  is important. I really need to get back out on Halifax's hilly roads as soon as the weather unbreaks.

Puke - good luck with pacing. I don't think I will ever be asked to do that! I'm slow...

i have a break coming up - trip to Barcelona with the family at the end of March for mom's 70th birrthday, I'm hoping to sneak in some early runs so I don't lose too much fitness in those 10 days.

A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

It's Saturday!! How did it go Puke? What effect did Cyclone Lusi have on Tarawera? Hoping you had a good day overall.

I'm preparing for my 10K, mentally more than anything. I'll use it to get a measure of where I'm at and kick off the start of adding tempo runs and intervals back into the weekly mix. I've been reluctant to do that lately because they bother my left hamstring; but since I'm too lazy to get it figured out, this should force my hand. I also lack confidence that I can run the paces I want to/used to.  Obviously it's way past time to get over this sh!t and explore the truth of the matter. I lean heavily towards Puke's observation that training is overrated...especially when it has a negative impact on my running. So my gun-ho approach will be tempered by the enjoyment factor since I don't want to get burned out again.

Ayola - Barcelona vacation right around the corner!! You should definitely take your running gear and get some runs in. Have someone take pics of you running somewhere special for a memento of your trip.

Yes! This my plan - I have family of late risers so I should be able to explore Barcelona in the mornings... Stormy day so I'm at the office - container ships are working too...

A

Recalculating...

Yes. Barcelona running pics please Ayola

As for pacing, it is actually quite slow pace so tge hardest part is slowing yourself down. And being able to talk no stop about anything.

how did the 10k go happy?  Was it this weekend?

well the cyclone had a major effect on the ultra. As a large part if the course is only accessible by boat, and no boat would go out in high winds, they had to shorten the course to only a 70 or a 60. And as it was they still had to pill pin early as the course was getting dangerous.

My day started Good with me spending 4 hours on a street corner directing runners in the right direction. it rained almost constantly but I got to see the elite runners in action, then all the normal runners after.

Next I had to drive to the other end if the course and catch my runner For what turned out to be only 22km.  Had a great time running in atrocious weather and  had a blast running muddy downhills and jumping in puddles.  This morning I could hardly talk. My throat was so sore from talking.

Thoroughly recommend it if you ever get a chance.

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Sounds like you had a good time, Puke :-)

I'd hate to have been an international runner with that as a goal race though.

Yes I ran the 10K yesterday. As it turned out, two new running friends were there, so I did heed your counsel to "enjoy yourself, talk to others" ---to the degree that myself and one of the others both got sideaches by the second mile. We stopped talking and I got mine to go away (first time ever!) by the turnaround, but the other gal had to drop back to manage hers. The third gal had pulled ahead after the first mile or so and I chased her the rest of the race.

I'm ecstatic over my finish time of 56 minutes combined with how comfortable it was. That's a relative term of course. I couldn't run any faster, try as I might; but nothing hurt or cramped -- which is quite the novelty for me.  I focused on staying relaxed, maintaining form, and enjoying the run. I seriously can't believe I ran 9 mpm when I've been struggling to run 10:00 and even 10:20 without left hamstring pain.

I did spend a chunk of time in the morning before the race rolling around on the foam roller, tennis ball, and another larger massage ball and all that obviously made a difference in getting the kinks worked out. The other key was having "race buddies" to get me going on pace and then to chase -- and to enjoy the event with -- really helped break up my usual feeling of tension/pressure over being at a race.

A comfortable 56! Yeah foam roller!

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Maybe I shoulda taken an extra rest day after the 10K. Monday night's run was fine.....until it wasn't...had a knee ache yesterday and assorted hot spots. Nothing is really sore---unless you press on it and then---ouch!  I skipped running last night, planned on yoga or foam rollering or something recovery-related...but chose pizza and conversation with DH instead. Got up early this morning for yoga....that I didn't do. Apparently I'm completely derailed! Aaaaargh!!  Got a hectic workday ahead.  I feel disconnected and unfocused.  I hate that.  Deep breaths....

Happy Hump Day!!!

Imminent Catastrophe

Looks like I picked the right year to run Tarawera!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016