2000Km-1243 mile club

New Year, New Possibilities (Read 13 times)

Dutchie42

We're already 7 days into the new year, so rather late to the party wishing you a magical 2017. Let's all make it a good one

Not much traffic around here in the last 6 months. Ofcourse I'm one of the culprits myself, not  posting to keep things alive. We're down to 12 members (incl myself) that have taken a peek here in the last 6 months. Maybe I should just close this one down?

Some of you have already kicked of this running year with a vengeance: happyfeat, the yapper, heffa, and sunchaser, with happyfeat in the lead as usual Others haven't started running this year yet, or at least haven't logged any mileage here on RA (something I've been guilty of too).

Note: if you want to follow any new topics if there are any, you can set an alert in the options menu in the side bar on the left. I think you automatically get alerted to any topics you've posted to. You can opt out/in of that when you click on the subscribe button at the top of this post.

Anyways, happy running this year!

ETA:

week 1/2017

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

HappyFeat

Happy New Year Dutchie and 2000 km peeps.  Hope everyone is off to a good start.

I've jumped off the deep end into marathon training without the base I thought I'd establish in December. Multiple issues have prevented me from running as much as I'd have liked. Finally ran my first 40-mile week in ages last week/. When I say jumped in the deep end, I mean I ran a long run today  that was over an hour longer  than any run in the last 3 months.  Relieved it went much better than I thought it would. Good thing because next week is set to be 2 miles longer!

I read a blog post tonight that was linked in a newsletter from running coach Jay Johnson:  http://chrisbrogan.com/3words2017/

about choosing 3 words for the coming year  - instead of  goals or resolutions. You choose three words that you will use as as touchstones to help guide you through your year.  I'm going to play with that.  So far I have 2 words:

Optimism because I really want to stop complaining, making excuses, procrastinating, and just generally being an Eeyore - even if I'm the only one who gets the brunt of it for the most part. I know can be happier and more energetic if I choose to be. So: OPTIMISM

Connect because it feels good to reach out to others - and this may include reconciling with someone.

My third one will be something related to running or maybe mindfulness. I have to think on it some more. Share your words if you do it.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

I'm still dropping by once in a while and enjoy catching up with the usual suspects. I for one would like the group to stay around. My local running pals have all migrated to Strava so I spend more time on that platform. I have a pretty ambitious year shaping up. My relay team is coming out of retirement and will be fielding a 9 person relay for the Colonial 200. For my personal goals I have decided to take the next step in my ultra journey and tackle the 100k (completely flat 2.3 mile loop but 62 miles is still going to be challenging).

HappyFeat

Thanks for chiming in, Jeff!  How much time do you have to train for the 100K?

Strava...I have an account there, but only have posted a few trail runs so I could compare the data on them. I don't like that you can't modify the distance or time of your log entry.  Sometimes - like last weekend when I ran with someone new who was astonishingly slower than me even - and I kept pausing my watch to stop and stretch and wait for her, then forgetting to restart - I want to be able to log the actual distance I ran and not just what the watch says. As far as I can tell, Strava doesn't let me do that. Is that your experience as well?

The road marathon I am training for is also a flat course-- which I wanted to try and see if I like. I chose it for that, plus time of year (April), and it's only a 3-4 hour drive away, AND it's small. It's called Blooms to Brews in Woodland, Washington in April.  When I registered, I thought I'd be able to train to break 4:30. No guarantees on that happening now, but the train is rollin down the track anyway and I feel good about how things are progressing.

Training? I don't need no stinking training! 100k is in 2 weeks. I have done pretty good on mileage for the past two months but I could definitely use some more going into my first 100k.

I am not a fan of Strava for logging my runs. The logging is very limited. I like the log here much better.

HappyFeat

Say whaat?! First 100K race in TWO weeks and NO training?? AWESOME Jeff!!  What is the name of the event?  I've heard it's better to show up to a race undertrained and not injured than the reverse. You'll be so fresh, you'll ace it!

I'm working my training plan, but it's not been easy going. My latest blood test shows I'm hypothyroid (again) on top of the current low iron sitch. No wonder I'm huffin and puffin and finding it all so hard. I'm hoping all my effort will catapult me ahead when my health catches up with my training - praying that happens before the marathon.

So, Jeff, if you don't log your runs on Strava, what is the "platform" you referred to? Do they have forums and stuff too?

My Garmin auto uploads my runs to Strava but like you mentioned the manual entry is limited and the search functions and reports are terrible. We mostly use it as a way of staying in touch and inviting each other to various runs by commenting on each others activities. We just started as Facebook group for the social aspect of scheduling runs and meetups that may be a good enough substitute that I can drop Strava.

The 100k is the Virginia Beach Distance Races

HappyFeat

Just want to wish Jeff "Good Luck!" at the Virginia Distance Race. How do you feel??

I had a good 18-miler last Sunday, but 3 days on I am still a bit sore and tired for running. Would have like to skip tonight's run, but didn't.  I stopped to stretch and start fresh several times, probably erasing any benefit at all from the run - other than keeping on keeping on.

Well that didn't go as planned. First DNF on my 100k. I had to skip my last long run 2 weeks ago with a chest cold and it has been a slow recovery. I was concerned that I was not fully recovered and I guess I was not. My chest hurt from the first mile. Went away for a while but as the race wore on I was having chest pain on anything faster than a walk. With unlimited time I would have tried to walk the second half of the race but I knew I would not make the 12 hour time limit and packed it in.

HappyFeat

sorry to hear that your 100K did not go off as planned, Jeff. What a bummer! Healing/recovering sometimes happens so slowly it can be very frustrating.   Do you have another event in the back of your mind to set your sights on in the coming year?

Dutchie42

Now that's odd. For some reason I never got a notification that you lot were posting again  Or maybe I overlooked the notification? Just got on here to close this group down, but since there's still some of the old crowd here, I guess I'll keep it going

But glad there's still people around here.

Jeff: sorry about the DNF. All better now? Got another one planned?

Happy: I also have an account and I think I can make it sync with Polar Flow where my stats go from my watch.

Anyways, I am running still, but not much cause injuries keep flaring up. Lately it's my left bicep (I have no clue what happened, just woke up one day and my arm hurt) and since a futsal game two weeks ago my groin is acting up. Anyways, I'm chalking it all up to my "unfitness".

Company I work for will donate a euro cent for every step their employees walk this month to the charity SOS children's villages. They handed out Polar Loops to everyone during town halls in all 11 countries were at. That's about 2000 employees (not a big company). So I have a goal of at least 310.000 steps this month. Comes down to 10.000 steps a day which in my case equals about 5.5 kilometers. I have a desk job and I usually only do 6.000 steps on average (I own a Polar M400 that not only measures my workouts, but also tracks my activity during the day), so I guess I will have to run every day for at least 20 min = 3 kilometers to make goal? I've been purposely walking more in the office since the 1st of this month

Wed 9094 steps = 4.5K

Thu 8754 steps = 4.5K (makes me wonder about accuracy)

Fri 9470 steps = 4.7K

Sat 6189 steps = 3K (working from home)

So I'm 6500 behind goal.

I keep forgetting to log my runs here as I am now on the Polar Flow app a lot because ever since the polar loop was handed out my colleagues are over there. Not that I run that much.

Dutchie
                        Run the day, or the day runs you.

HappyFeat

I guess I'll be here until you boot me out, Dutchie.

I'm happy with how my marathon training is going. 6 weeks to go. I'm feeling hopeful that I can squeak in under 4:30. We shall see. Lots more key workouts ahead to prove or disprove that theory.  So far, I've been hitting my targets although I've taken a few more Rest Days than planned (to recover from the harder workouts). It's paying off though.

Nothing really planned for the rest of the year. I have a couple of relays coming up but that's about it. I am still not back to my normal self. Did a little tester yesterday and feeling about 75%. Looks like the respiratory problems we were having in the house was caused by a bad black mold infestation in the kitchen. The stove vent was not working correctly and the cabinets were full of mold. We have it cleaned up now and everybody is breathing better but I am still not right.

HappyFeat

Toxic black mold! Oh man, good thing you discovered it and got it cleaned up, Jeff.  Now to get your lungs back. Wonder if using a spirometer would help? It would if you still have congestion. What did your doctor suggest to speed up the healing?

Good news! I have taken about 3 weeks off but still ran my portion of the Newport News One City marathon relay and it felt great. My relay team was not concerned with time so I just goofed around starting at the back of the pack and worked my way through the field talking to a bunch of my running friends as I went. I could speed up to reach the next person with no issues. By the time I hit the 14 mile point for the hand off I was running with the 3:30 pace group. I guess I need to start looking for a couple of goal races this year.