2000Km-1243 mile club

January 2012 (Read 471 times)

...---...

Trey: ambitious plan to run 24hrs. Are you following a specific training plan?

Dutchie - I'm not sure that I'll attempt to actually run the entire 24 hrs. While I haven't decided what my goal is yet, I do intend to exceed 50K. I'm training as if I will attempt 50 miles. I've got a 50K in March that I'll use as a benchmark and see where I am and how ambitious I feel after that. The training base I'm using is modified from the "Ultra ladies" plans for 100 and 50 miles. http://www.trailrunevents.com/ul/schedule-100m.asp see example.

-

Russ is right though, the North Coast 24 is the 24 hr endurance run Championship and Jurek is rumored to be there. As is Jamie Donaldson (who did it last year). My running club, Cleveland West Road Runners, is sponsoring and managing this event so it's more a show of support that I'm participating. I think it will be very cool to run along side multi-year winner of Badwater 135 (Jamie Donaldson).

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

...---...

PS - welcome to all the new "faces!"

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

HappyFeat

My Garmin 305 died the other day.  Tried all the usual things, resets etc. No luck. Bugger.

Been running technology free since.

Had a rest day on Tuesday, so took my son and my dad exploring in Karangahake. This is an old gold mining area with lots of tunnels (some open to explore), tram tracks and batteries etc.

Here are some photos for you HappyFeat.   Karangahake to Dickey Flat

Managed a 9k run on Wednesday, biked 10km to work and 10km back on Thursday, then had a brain melt and ran to work and back today for another 20km.

Slow day planned for tomorrow. With a long run hopefully on Sunday.

Thanks for sharing, Brian.

There couldn't be a better start to the morning than taking in the gorgeous scenery in your photos. 

I feel like I'm there when I look at them, especially since I've hiked a fair amount of some of today's pics seem almost familiar.

I'm off work today and getting ready to go for a run (6 miles, one loop of my Big Hills route).

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Hiya!

Its been a tough week. Workplace challenges will have me looking for a new job ASAP. Luckily I have a supportive husband, sister, and friends. New house search is on hold.

So I didn't really crack 1000 miles in 2011. I have the same goals as last year - 2000km, sub 2:20 HM and love running. I did log 30 hours of weight training and 18 hours of spinning of which I'm pretty proud!

On this week's workout front - no running this week. I did manage a short spin and a weights workout class (Body Pump) at the gym. The class is a great full body workout which I think is enough along with some at home basics (squats, lunges, core work, stretching) to cover me through the running season.

I'm planning on racing in the Johnny Miles HM in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia (june) and the Philadelphia HM (november) as well as any local 10Ks as they come up. I may squeeze in the local early october HM if I'm feeling great. No 50Ks for me, but I'm excited to hear about the training for it.

The plan - I've adapted Roy Stevenson's beginner marathon training plan from Marathon & Beyond, september 2011, to suit my needs for the half. Its based on time which suits non-speedy me and I've replaced one easy day with bike/spin. It starts easy but ramps up pretty quickly.

Right now I'm off for a 5 miler...looks drizzly but warm - above 0*C.

I'm really making an effort to stay positive. Running and hanging out at runningahead helps so much. Happy saturday, A

Recalculating...

A - Sorry about the job stuff.  Let's stay positive and I'm sure we can come up with how this will work out for the better.

We have had some setbacks on the board this year already.  Hope this is not a developing trend.  We got the bad news here that we have been dreading for a couple of weeks.  DW will be going through cancer treatment for the 3rd time here.  The prognosis is still favorable but it is going to be a difficult couple of months logistics-wise.  I'll be right in the middle of my heavy work time while she is in-patient in another city.  Let's get it together here people!  No more bad news.

Jeff - I'm sending positive thoughts your way. We are a team in here, A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Jeff - I'm sending positive thoughts your way. We are a team in here, A

What ayola said!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

...---...

A and Jeff - thinking about you both. Chin up and hang in there.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

HappyFeat

Jeff, I'm so sorry to hear about your wife's recurrence and the challenges ahead.  We're here for you. Let us know how it goes.

Ayola, Boo on the job situation! Good idea to shift your focus to your running/exercise plan while the dust settles.

Sending support and good wishes for positive outcomes all 'round.

Dog-Love

Best of luck with the  next round of treatments Jeff

I am here in sunny 65 degree Charleston SC for a meeting and went out and ran around the waterfront this am.  4 miles of running and walking which is kind of what I do these days.  I have never been here about o go onut am a a carriage tour which is somethi ng that I have never done.  Back to Alaska tomorrow

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Best of luck with the  next round of treatments Jeff

I am here in sunny 65 degree Charleston SC for a meeting and went out and ran around the waterfront this am.  4 miles of running and walking which is kind of what I do these days.  I have never been here about o go onut am a a carriage tour which is somethi ng that I have never done.  Back to Alaska tomorrow

Thanks for the well wishes.  I lived near Charleston a couple of years ago and and I have to recommend going to Josephs for breakfast.  It's at 129 Meeting St.  Please go now and get the sweet potato pancakes.  Today it is open for brunch until 2 PM.

Dog-Love

OK.. Thanks for the tip. .First I will run...then I will eat pancakes!  One batch for you.  It was 7 degrees today.  WOW!

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Imminent Catastrophe

GUTS Fat Ass (free) 50k which was actually almost 34 miles but as they say, no extra charge. I ran fairly hard the whole way (well, except for a few really rocky bits and stairs). I'm kicking some bunny butt, hope I can stay healthy! I have a coach now and he's trying to kill me.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Wow! You were flying, Russ!

Glad it went so well for you. It's inspiring.

As for me, I've had a setback - not sure how big yet. Something with my left arch. Hoping it's just PF. Keep all fingers and paws crossed for me.

...---...

GUTS Fat Ass (free) 50k which was actually almost 34 miles but as they say, no extra charge. I ran fairly hard the whole way (well, except for a few really rocky bits and stairs). I'm kicking some bunny butt, hope I can stay healthy! I have a coach now and he's trying to kill me.

Yes you are indeed slaying the bunny. I thought I would gain some ground on you (get closer) over the weekend but you've managed to widen the gap. Whoa. Nice work! The coach concept is interesting.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12