2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly checkin: 15-21 november (Read 496 times)

Heffa, nice job on the "solo" HM--that's not easy getting a fast time like that.

It is definitely a different kind of challenge to run race pace all by yourself.  Let alone the lack of aid stations.  I like that kind of challenge, it really makes me feel good about myself to push the pace even when "it doesn't matter".

Talk about pushing the pace though.  What a great PR on that 50K Russ!  Hope the calf is feeling better soon.

Happy - Way to go on the 35 mile week.  Your having a great year!

A - Keep warm up there.  I have at least another month before I have to worry about snow here.

Just got my huge shipment of Hammer products today.  I had switched to using Hammer gel as my main supplement about a year ago and I finally decided to give their other products a try.  My goal is to switch over to all powder/tablet supplements for marathon running.  All of my previous marathons I would carry a 20 oz water bottle and 5-6 gels with me.  I'm trying to lighten my belt by switching to Perpetuem solids for fuel and Endurolytes for electrolytes.  Then I just have to get better at drinking the water on the course.  I figure between lightening my belt and a little dieting I can reduce my payload by a little over 10 lbs, maybe 15 - 20 lbs if I can somehow manage to lose a little more weight without DW noticing Wink.

Dutchie42

Hi everyone,

Was out of town for business and got back Thursday evening. Was totally exhausted. Going away on business always means late dinners and late nights! Unfortunately, also no workouts. We were staying on an old cruise ship that's been converted into a hotel that's moored permanently. There are no engines anymore. We got a tour of the ship and I can just imagine what it used to be like back in the old days when 1st class and 2nd class passengers were separated. Oh yes, they even had separate staircases so they would never meet. Loved how they had restored all the old furniture, stained glass and floors. Anyways, it only opened 6 months ago and there was no fitness room on the ship. And the late nights meant that I wasn't awake early enough to go for a run.

Friday morning I needed to sleep in. I was soooo tired. Another day without a run.

Bought a new laptop for the family and have been installing all kinds of software all day yesterday. Now before anyone is using it making documents and down loading all kinds of stuff, I still have to make a recovery disk and back up image. Then I wanna copy some of my files on to this laptop. It's a lot of work when you get a new laptop Wink

Anyways, not a lot of running going on this week. The rest will do my hip some good, I hope. I'll go out for a run with Spooky soon. Winter suddenly dropped in yesterday. It's -5C. Have to figure out what to wear, it's been a while since it's been this cold Shocked

Dutchie
        Run the day, or the day runs you.

Chugging along to the holidays! I posted this bit on another thread...

Last week I made it through Friday's workouts. I had a really hard session with a substitute trainer on Friday and was a bit sore on Saturday. Legs weren't going for the long run so I just did my regular 3 mile loop around the park. Last night we were out late a birthday party - sometimes I think I'm going to start fitting in here. I have a work deadline so I'm off to the office now (sunday) and getting two rest days in a row. Maybe that will give my body a chance to reset...

Winter is settling in (for some more than others!), dig out the gear and take care!  A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

A BIG Congratulations to our two recent graduates Hoppity and Rururunner! Hurray!! Three Cheers!!! Great job!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

6 easy treadmill miles yesterday after work.  It looks like we are almost done with the OT at work.  I think by the end of this week my stint of 12 hour days will be over.  I can't wait to get back to a normal life.

Imminent Catastrophe

7.2 tempo today with Daisy. I'm being careful with my left calf which was swollen and bruised after last week's race, and it's feeling good now. Daisy was a pain as usual, wanting to be the sled-dog and trying to drag me the whole way, then when I let her off leash she was eating grass. She got to splash in the creek, which she loves. 

Happy, we're neck and neck now, but just try to catch me after Sunday! Evil

MTA: Dutchie, I just got a new laptop too and you're right, it's a lot of work. I could just use Apple's Migration Assistant which automatically transfers everything over from the old laptop to the new (quick and easy), but I did that last time I upgraded and now I have so much old, obsolete crap that would be transferred to my new laptop that I decided to do it manually. So now, after many hours of work, I have a lean machine without a lot of old stuff I don't need any more. 

I love your comments about the converted ship. I actually sailed on the Queen Mary in 1968 (yes, the one that's now in Long Beach).That was one of her last voyages, and I was 9 years old but it was like you said, all the classes were segregated. We were tourist class, the dregs (like the ones who were locked into the lower decks on the Titanic). Our "stateroom" was a closet with no window down in the bowels of the ship. Fortunately I befriended another boy who was in upper class, so I got to see how "the other half lives"--the pool, library and all that. It was really memorable.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Don't worry PerfesserR - your position ahead of me is in no doubt! You're running FORTY MILES on Sunday???! Good Grief! I just wanna know HOW?

Currently I can barely get out to my run tonight...just got a fire going...house is freezing...just wanna get warm, not go back out into the cold! Plus I was having some outa-the-blue muscle spasms in my right quad tendon area this afternoon, along with some other transient twinges in my legs and hips.  My right knee felt a little funny last night while running which certainly is the precursor to the spasms.  Also, I've been surviving an energy-sapping bad cold/sinus thing this past week. I feel like I want to trade in this body for a new one today!Dead  My planned run is for 6 to 8 miles tonight. I better quit talking to you and get going!

Imminent Catastrophe

Don't worry PerfesserR - your position ahead of me is in no doubt! You're running FORTY MILES on Sunday???! Good Grief! I just wanna know HOW?

Well, I'm gonna try.

I know, I know, Yoda said "Do, or do not, There is no try". 

Well, Yoda never ran a 40 mile trail run. So there.

You folks in the Pacific Northwest have had some brutal weather lately. Good luck!

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

It's finally over!  I have a three day weekend then back to normal working hours next week.  Planning a celebratory 14 miler tomorrow.

HappyFeat

It's finally over!  I have a three day weekend then back to normal working hours next week.  Planning a celebratory 14 miler tomorrow.

You made it through - in one piece! Nice to have a 3-day weekend to transition back to normalcy. Enjoy your run tomorrow.Cool

HappyFeat

Well, I'm gonna try....a 40 mile trail run.

Is this the longest Ultra you will have done? What was the longest before this? official event, that is. How about the longest run for pleasure? Inquiring Minds wanna know!  I read the course description - yee gawds! I sure hope your calf has fully recovered before you test it on this!  I haven't figured out how you could bruise your calf running yet.  How did that happen?

timer's going off, gotta go!

Good luck Perfesser on the FORTY MILES I can't help but make that in caps...

I took it easy this week - work/ life/ sleep took precedence - how does Jeff do it? - back on track tomorrow with an easy 8 miler. I got a great e-mail today from Labrador so now I'm looking forward to getting some cross country ski lessons from SIL over holiday vacation up north.

Roasting a chicken and relaxing, happy Friday, A

PS Feel better Happy...

Recalculating...

A BIG Congratulations to our two recent graduates Hoppity and Rururunner! Hurray!! Three Cheers!!! Great job!

Thanks!  I lurk here rather than post, but am very grateful for how active and cool this group are.  Pleased to hit the 2000km, my initial goal for this year was 1000km as I was coming back from injury and wasn't sure if I'd be able to run much or keep running. 

Good luck on the 40-miler Perfesser, glad the horrendous work schedule is over heffa47 and feel better soon HappyFeat.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks for the good karma everyone. 

Happy-yes, this is my longest run ever, I've done a few 50k's. The one I did two weeks ago gave me some confidence, since I felt I had something left at the end. This is a tougher trail, though. I don't know what happened to the calf, I had a little nag before the 50k, then during the race a few times I got a painful twang but it was never too bad, then the next day I was surprised to see a big bruise and inflammation. I think it was strained, anyway after babying it for the last two weeks it's pain-free and I think it's OK. 

Just between you and me, I'm nervous. When I first moved to Georgia 8 years ago I read about this race and thought, 40 miles on trails, on fallen leaves concealing rocks and roots? I could never do that. We'll see.