2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly mileage check in for week of 4 August (Read 333 times)

Dutchie42

Teresa: you're not that far behind the bunny. And who says you have to catch it? The chase is just as much fun Clowning around

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Dutchie42

Ennay: how was your race yesterday? I'm supposed to do a 23K long run today. But I'm not feeling the love yet. It's only 7:13 AM. Who knows when I'll go out the door.

Dutchie

...---...

Question for the group - this might seem a little silly but can anyone here feel or detect a boost after taking in energy gels? Me? I'm just not feeling it. Maybe I need to double up on them. I wonder if tic-tacs or little snickers or something would work better. I certainly would enjoy the taste better Wink

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Teresadfp

One day at a time

OK, guys, thanks, I'll stick around! You all DO inspire me! I made it 7.1 miles yesterday, and my ankle did fine, so I just have to keep increasing mileage slowly again.

A Saucy Wench

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

...---...

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Dutchie42

Trey: I used to run up to 30K without gels when I was training for my very first 30K race in September last year. I did bring sports drink with me. I'd slow down considerably during my long run, like I was running on empty. I often was very tired at the end of my long runs and it took forever to recover. This year, when I started doing the really long runs that my marathon training called for, I started using gels: at the 10K, 20K and 30K point, taken with water. And a sports drink at 5K, 15K, 25K and 35K (for that one very long run). I didn't get a boost when taking gels, but I wasn't as tired, felt I could maintain pace much better cause I still had the energy and I recovered much quicker. BTW, I used the same training schedule for both races. Just added a couple of extra 30+ long runs to be better prepared for marathon distance and threw in 2 injuries for the marathon. My pre- and post routine was the same too when training for either race.

Dutchie

Dutchie42

Ennay: congrats on placing 1st in your AG. Wink Thought it was funny they called it the garlic race Clowning around Did they give you some to take home?

Dutchie

A Saucy Wench

Ennay: congrats on placing 1st in your AG. Wink Thought it was funny they called it the garlic race Clowning around Did they give you some to take home?
                    The 2 mile fun walk all got a clove of elephant garlic to take home, 10Kers got a shirt instead. Thats ok, ever since my first pregnancy garlic makes me hurl.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Imminent Catastrophe

Teresa, Stick around! I most likely won't make 2k this year either but it's a good bunch of folks. Trey--I don't usually get a "boost" after taking a gel, but it prevents me from fading. I think that's the best way to use them--if you are already fading when you take the gel, it's too late and you will probably never catch up with your glycogen, you have to stay ahead of the curve! It worked for me today. Today: 18.6 in Central Park. Last week I ran into a NYRRC training run. This week I ran into a Triathlon! Always something going on there in NYC. It was a really nice day, a little warm maybe. But to answer Trey's question--I took some Shot Bloks along the way and didn't start to get really tired like I usually do around mile 13-15 and I attribute that to the carbs. I actually felt OK at the end and I think the Bloks made it a good long run instead of a "death march". MTA: I forgot to mention that I saw the statue of Fred Lebow looking at his watch along the way. That was pretty cool. He founded the New York City Marathon and the Empire State Building Run-up, among others.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

...---...

Really appreciate the insight on gels - I think I must not be getting them in early enough. One thing I have not been doing much is taking in the sports drinks during runs. Only water. I think I'll try incorporating sports drinks and then water with the gels. This past weekend's 10 miler, which hasn't been too much of a chore before, was close to a "death march." I took Sunday off for rest to repair, refuel, and recharge.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12