2000Km-1243 mile club

August 2014 (Read 13 times)

The 11 mile run went pretty well, started off with sore hamstrings and ended with sore hamstrings but no sharp pain. It was a gorgeous day and I ran through the local Marina. I used a 15:1 run walk plan and I had a decent time considering I walked Quinpool hill (steep quarter mile).

In a moment after tea, I'm off to the gym for an active rest exercise day - elliptical and spinning and lots of stretching (thanks Happy for the suggestions!) so I can be kinda rested for a nice run tomorrow (usually I take Mondays off and just walk to work).  Not sure about racing next week, speed seems to make things worse.

Happy - I did peek at your calendar, to an amateur it seems so full. I like Puke's advice and only want to add that I hope you are getting enough rest to recover in between the runs and work etc...

happy sunday, A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Puke, I like your advice too - talk about taking the pressure off! I read it earlier today and later went for a 2-mile jog. I felt like I was on a whole new track - a very good feeling.  I appreciate your input.

I'm impressed by your dedication to training this round. You will do great at the 24-hour run.

Ayola, I'm glad that hamstring article was helpful. It has made the difference for me.

Tennis ball massage can be really helpful too. One of the easiest methods is to sit on a hard chair with a tennis ball under your hamstring and bounce your leg up and down on it to get circulation to the tight areas, roll your leg side to side (cross-friction massage) over the tender areas, and hold the leg on a tight spot but swing your lower leg out and back to work the muscle a bit under pressure to help loosen it up.. This last works best while sitting on top of a desk so you have room to swing your leg.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.