2000Km-1243 mile club

beach running: a very short story (Read 259 times)

...---...

My story is called: Observations from a runner about beaches; OR, waxing poetically: the yearning to a return to asphalt. As some of you read from me earlier, I travel; therefore, I travel with running gear. Treadmills are fine every now and then but who can resist running on a sunny day, in mild temperatures, along the coast of the pacific(unless that's where you live)...especially in early February??!!?? For us "east-coasters," you simply take the opportunity. So last Friday, I took an early morning jog on an empty beach in southern California. The idea of running in soft sand, along the serene shore of surf, gentle waves, and sea birds scurrying at the edge for food brought out the romantic in me. And so, I ran. Jogging along and watching the birds, occasionally hurdling a mound of seaweed or abandoned tire, I began to think - how lucky I am to be doing this. I would not have been surprised if a blue bird would have landed on my shoulder and began singing, " Oh what a beautiful morning." This is great.I'm sooooo fortunate. The soft sand made the run tougher but the soft surface would be good for my legs...right? Hey, I'm up for a challenge...and so what, if there's a considerable slant where the water has washed away the sand previously moved in by the Seal Beach city workers. This would be good for strengthening weaker muscles not really used in the flat non-slanted surfaces I usually run...right? This is fine, I'm soooo lucky. Well pretty soon, my leg started feeling "funny." And then suddenly...where the hell did that pain on my knee cap come from? Hmm, that's weird, never felt that before. jog jog jog jogjog... Holy crap, my ankle hurts...oh shit, more seaweed and garbage to jump over...OUCH, that hurt...sink into sand, ah crap, now I have a pound of sand in my show...what's that smell? Jeeze, pew!!! Oh great, someone left their left over rotting lunch out here...even the birds aren't touching that...jog jog jog jog jog...Oooof! what the hell was that in my hamstring???? Okay, turn around and go the other way. Eeeek! my ankle didn't like that...neither did my knee cap...jog jog...screw this, I'm outta here ...walk back to the asphalt.... Ah, this is much better. jog jog jog jog jog jog..., Man, that clicking on my knee cap kinda hurts.jog jog jog, hey's she's cute, she's moving pretty good..jog run, jog og run run run...man she's cruising..run run, jog jog jog, Ayeeee! knee cap, ouch... Okay screw this, I'm otta here to find an IHOP or something. So long cutie. Ah, much better. Waffles and fruit! Pay, get up to leave...OUCH. Okay, knee is sore...it was that F***ing beach sand. And as I recalled the morning's adventure, I realized those stinking sea birds were mocking me the whole time...vultures! Beach running sucks! Advil anyone? Oh - any advice on treating a sore patella? Cheers.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Dutchie42

LOL, I remember the sore ankle and other parts of my legs from beach running on my vacation two years ago LOL. And I was running with about 15 people from my travel group watching me run the same 1 kilometer stretch of beach LOL Taking pictures too. And I was wearing an orange bathing suit (with a running bra underneath). LOL Ice your knee. ICE ICE ICE.

Dutchie
      Run the day, or the day runs you.

Beach running can be good, but you need to take a few precautions. From my newsletter about running on the beach: # You will probably want to run in the morning, especially if it is warm enough to swim afterwards. The sun can be brutal as it reflects off of the water. # Wear a lot of layers if it is cold, because the wind off of the ocean can be brutal in the Winter. # You will want to wear plenty of sunscreen no matter the weather. # Run at low tide just above the water. The land will (usually) not be sloped quite as much, and the water that has been absorbed by the sand will compact it into something that is a little easier to run on. # Carry water with you or make frequent stops at water fountains.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

...---...

Beach running can be good, but you need to take a few precautions. From my newsletter about running on the beach:
          Rats. Had I only had this newsleatter 4 days ago...bummer. But thanks.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Rats. Had I only had this newsleatter 4 days ago...bummer. But thanks.
            Heh, it's never too late to sign up. There's a handy link at the end of each edition. Wink

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Jill_B

I fly.

As someone who lives near the beach and runs, but has yet to run on the beach I really appreciate the advice! I can't wait to try runningon the beach now!

Bring it on.

...---...

As someone who lives near the beach and runs, but has yet to run on the beach I really appreciate the advice! I can't wait to try runningon the beach now!
                Be afraid, very afraid. Dutchie - the ice is helping.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12