2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check in 26 Oct - 1 Nov (Read 328 times)

Dutchie42

Hi peeps,

Can't believe it's almost November. Still off sick. The pain is a lot less.  Problem now is that the not eating for 5 days did a number on me. I'm guessing I won't be running till Saturday. I will try some strength training. If I can hold the dumbbells that is. I may have to use 3# 

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Dog-Love

I'm in DC and I have walked over 8 miles up and down the mall and in and out of the Smithonian.  WOW what a great spot.  Am planning on running tomorrow if I get a break.  Am feeling pretty healthy...get better DUtchie
      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

1 week today of no running.  Still not much improvement.  I've been icing 3 or 4 times a day but there is still quite a bit of pain.  There has been some improvement in my lower abs though so I guess that is something.  I'll give it a couple more days before I decide if I need professional help (for my injury).

Crabby - DW has been hounding me about a trip to DC.  We are only 4 hours away but just have never made the trip.  Could be something about me hating cities.  I went once when I was a kid.  The Smithsonian was very cool.

Imminent Catastrophe

4 today on the TM since it was pouring rain. I know, wuss! But I was watching the Monty Python documentary on IFC, and those guys were freakin' geniuses!

1/2 mile barefoot and I realized my feet are really tender. Ouch. 

BTW where's Trey?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dog-Love

1 week today of no running.  Still not much improvement.  I've been icing 3 or 4 times a day but there is still quite a bit of pain.  There has been some improvement in my lower abs though so I guess that is something.  I'll give it a couple more days before I decide if I need professional help (for my injury).

Crabby - DW has been hounding me about a trip to DC.  We are only 4 hours away but just have never made the trip.  Could be something about me hating cities.  I went once when I was a kid.  The Smithsonian was very cool.

I totally recommend late October...no lines...actually almost no people.  Lots of runners at the mall and I even just showed up for a tour of the capital no problem.  Smithonian has a great exhibit on butterflies and again...no lines at all. Weird. and of course there is the whole dinasaur thing.  Burgess shale exhibit...wish I had more time.

I don't much like cities or crowds and I was so surprised.  I probably could have met with the President if I asked nicely.

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
            Dutchie42

Finally did a bit of strength training, never did get around to it yesterday. I did about 20min. of LB and 25 min of UB at a really leasurely pace with very light weights. I guess it was more about finally being able to do something again.

Dutchie

6 miles Wednesday.  First run since Sunday's shortened run.  Got to get back on a regular schedule.  I keep taking extra rest days to heal my knee so I feel great when I head out so I run too hard so my knee starts hurting again.  If I can get back on the regular schedule I'm hoping it will be easier to run easy.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Dutchie42

Question:

My doc gave me an NSAID to relieve the pain I was in and for the inflammation of that bit of a colon that was giving me problems. I'm now on one pill a day till Monday.

You think it is OK to go out for a short run on the weekend while taking that stuff? I'm talking 3 kms on Sat and 5 kms on Sun. It shouldn't give me any problems on those short distances, should it? I've taken paracetamol on occasion before or during a (longer) run because of headaches and that never caused a problem.

Dutchie

Imminent Catastrophe

I was on NSAID for 3 weeks, it didn't cause me any problems. Stay hydrated.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

So I go to bed the night before last and my groin area on both legs is the most painful it has been in months.  8 days of no running and it just seems like it's getting worse.  Perhaps it's the stretching, massaging, icing that I have been doing I think to myself, but I am getting very frustrated.  Then something magic happens.  I wake up in the morning and finally the knotted muscles are relaxed and it feels the best it has felt in months!  Now the question is how long do I continue to rest now that I feel like I can run pain free?

Dog-Love

Wow must be nice just to be pain free.  I would take it easy but get out for some easy runs if the pain is gone.  But that is just me.

I ran 5 through Arlington VA today.  Thought I would run  through the Arlington Cemetary but you need to have ID to get in.  So I missed out on seeing the Kennedy flame but had a great run over the Patomac and throug our beautiful capital.  Tired and going to Berkeley tomorrow.  Then back to Alaska on Monday and it will be great to get back to my rut

12 miles this morning.  First run over 7 since the marathon.  Knee held up well, so I'm going to try a full schedule next week. 

Welcome to November, everyone.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm still struggling with the right shin and left Achilles pain, but it's not too bad. So, I got a nice treadmill workout in the hotel gym, plus another mile on a very hilly road to/from the gym. The treadmill included a mile at LT pace.

Then on Sunday, in NYC, I got some miles in Central Park (the west side was closed for the NYC marathon finish line) and a bit on the Hudson Greenway, total 14 miles. The R shin and L Achilles held up OK. I've never run along the Hudson there and it was cool to see what a nice route that is. 

Then I cleaned up and went down to Central Park to watch the NYC Marathon at mile 25, what a thrill that was, to see the world's best. The elite women (Paula Radcliffe obviously hurting), Meb coming through on his way to a historic victory, then the fast non-elites and the masses. It was really memorable. There really is nothing else like the NYC Marathon!