2000Km-1243 mile club

January 2012 (Read 471 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks guys, I met a bunch of internet friends IRL, a great group of folks. We had a lot of fun calling each other "Dumass". Happy, they gave me a voucher with choice of shoe and sizes. 

I have some soreness in my hip that started during the later part of the race, I'm taking it easy for awhile. FIgures, I've been overdoing it.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

Perfesser; congrats on the win! Does the medal have a honorary place in your house now?

Ayola: in the past I've done up to 3 hours on the TM. With a good movie and fun music, I actually enjoyed myself. Plus I keep playing with the buttons to vary speed and incline. How's the job hunting going?

Was in Brussels for work Sunday/Monday. First time, so I just had to run. I was in the town center, so all busy streets. But at 6AM pretty doable. Almost got hit by a bus that turned right while I was crossing the street. I'd seen the bus, just didn't think it would turn right. Other than that, pretty uneventful run. Nice to look at all those historic buildings. I was quite pleased with my time: I was just as fast as I have been on the TM. And it didn't feel any harder.

Dutchie
      Run the day, or the day runs you.

Easy 4 1/2 miles this morning 8*C (almost 50) wild temperature swings every day here.

Knees are feeling wobbly so I checked my shoe mileage +300 in the Nikes. I bought another set of Mizunos (runningwarehouse.com sale) they fit great but don't last long, tempted to buy two pairs but they only had one in my size. I'd like to try the New Balance 1080s but they're pricey here in Canada. Sneaker prices are typically +$50 here in Canada with very few sales - I'll try on the next trip to the US in May.

Second interview on Friday.

Make friends with those bus drivers out there! A

Recalculating...

Knees are feeling wobbly so I checked my shoe mileage +300 in the Nikes.

I recently have rejected the shoe mileage limits.  I used to limit myself to around 500 miles but now I plan to just use them until they physically wear out.  My current "old" shoes have almost 600 miles and barely any sign of wear.  I figure I can easily get 1200 out of them before the outsole has enough wear to retire them.  Of course my situation is probably not typical since I wear very thin soled, minimum cushion style shoes with a midfoot strike.

Some shoes I have last longer than others. My Nike Free (minimal) feel better than ever at 400+ running miles and probably just as many around town walking miles. The Brooks also seem to be lasting well past 400 - just not really comfortable, weird high arch. Mizunos feel really flat after 250 although they have the best foot fit. I just go by feel.

Recalculating...

Dutchie42

Quote from ayola on 18/01/2012 at 6:00 PM:

Knees are feeling wobbly so I checked my shoe mileage +300 in the Nikes.

Every couple of years I try wearing my shoes for more than 500 kilometers. I always end up with injuries that take a while to go away again. I think it's the type of injury that slowly creeps up on me.

I change shoes every approx. 500 kilometers and I'm OK. But I'm a heel striker... And I run like an elephant...

Dutchie
              Run the day, or the day runs you.

Imminent Catastrophe

Nice run today. I was really tired after a hard day but managed to get out for a 5-miler in the snow and icy wind in Boston. I tried Yaktrax on my shoes for the first time and they worked well on bare shoveled/salted sidewalks, ice, slush, and deep snow. Those are good, versatile tools for winter running. It was really exhilarating and refreshing. Best of all, I ran to the Taza Chocolate factory where they make the best chocolate ever, and got some goodies. Two of my favorite things--running and chocolate. It was a good run!

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

That does sound fun, Russ. I have run in Yaktrax and agree they're great!  I also did 5 miles today, first run outside in the last 2 weeks. We've had snow all week that turned to rain earlier today. The roads are pretty clear, but lots of snow still on the waysides.  I didn't even try the bike trail because it's got about 6 inches deep of wet slushy snow and cold wet feet didn't appeal to me today.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

You two are better than I am.  It was still pretty icy/slushy out here, and I stalled so long that it got dark so I ended up taking my off day today and putting off my long run until tomorrow.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

HappyFeat

You two are better than I am.  It was still pretty icy/slushy out here, and I stalled so long that it got dark so I ended up taking my off day today and putting off my long run until tomorrow.

Good luck with your LR tomorrow. Been meaning to ask how you came by your username?

Nice runs all.

Just had a "rest week" aka family holiday. Spent a week at the beach.  Managed 2 x 10km beach runs and a 11.5 km hill run.  Not much really, but did spend a lot of time dragging the daughters buggy backwards and forwards over sand dunes.  Also did a lot of walking. so will just call it strength work Smile

Need to get back into it this week as I have a 67km ultra in 3 weeks.

Shoes...I always get at least 1000km out of each pair. But usually have 2-3 pairs going at once.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Imminent Catastrophe

I forgot to mention that I had my seldom-worn Montrail GOre-Tex shoes, I think they helped in the slush.

Finished up this week's workouts (80 min & 50 min) on the treadmill - snowed here on Friday night and streets promptly froze up. I'm feeling impatient, but I'm slowly rebuilding the miles.

Happy sunday long runs, A

Recalculating...

...---...

Russ - I kneel before and in the virtual presence of your awesomeness. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

HappyFeat

Today I ran for the first time on trails at a park near me. The challenge is to not get lost since there are lots of crisscrossing trails and I haven't wanted to risk it before. Anyway, I managed 3 miles which took me almost 45 minutes! It was hilly, icy, muddy, snowy, the wind was cracking branches from trees around me, and at one far corner of the park I saw a "cougar sighting" signSurprised I'm glad I did it though; it was a dramatic break from the treadmill. Oh and I wore Yaktrax and gaiters and had no trouble with footing - yay!