2000Km-1243 mile club

September 2012 (Read 225 times)

HappyFeat

Sunday's hike was a tough one, over 10 miles and not particularly scenic. The first 4 miles were up up up through dry forest with nooooo views at all. From the 30 to 90 minute mark, my Garmin pegged the incline around and about 50% !! Only a couple pics were taken because the sun was so high in the sky that the opposing mountains were just too hazy. Here's one though:

I took a vacation day today and it is DH normal day off. So we decided to try a shorter, almost completely flat hike for a change. The plan was for 6 miles alongside Lake Crescent in Olympic National Park. I unwisely upped it to 8 and we were very tired by the end of it. For me, after running a 10 miler on Saturday and hiking a brutal 10 miles on Sunday, by the 4-mile turnaround today, my hips were hurting! Oh well, they'll recover. The views were refreshing.

Here's a trail shot:

The water at Lake Crescent goes between a royal blue and a turquoise color, depending on how the light is hitting it.

It's unreal! Here are some photos of the turquoise at the water's edge. Sometimes the whole lake looks this color.

An informational sign said the color is due to the pristine nature of the water. It's so cold that it has less nitrogen and thus no algae to muck up the clarity. The combination of the clarity and light create the color. So I learned something today tooBig grin

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Fantastic photos Happy

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Imminent Catastrophe

I had a pretty good day Sunday--ran 15 miles on a nice trail by Carters Lake at a good pace, it was a beautiful, crisp fall day. Toward the end I met a couple with a very friendly, happy dog who ran up to me, tail-wagging, and I gave her a good petting, really missing Daisy, who I used to run with out there. Then as they left he called her, "Come on, Daisy"! Wow, that really got to me, I felt like my Daisy was there in spirit.

Anyway, when I got home I had an email from BAA saying I was accepted into the Boston Marathon! That only took me 7 years.

I also ran into this friendly critter:

Timber Rattlesnake. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Quite the day you had yesterday, PerfesserR - run through the gamut of emotions. Your description of meeting up with another Daisy really tugs at the heartstrings.  ((hugs)) I know what you're going through.

Congratulations on getting into Boston and bravely meeting yet another rattler - both admirable feats!

Congrats on the Boston entry PerfesserR.... and nice snake.  Sure glad we don't have those critters in NZ

Did an cruisey pointless 10km on Saturday then on Sunday, got the DW to drop me off 30km from home so I could run back.  Nice scenic rural roads all the way, rolling hills for first 20 flattish for last 10.  Bit of a reccy run really for my next big adventure which will see a mate and I run the 72 km round my block.  At this stage confirmed for 3 November.   I was either going to do that or a 12 hour race, but sanity prevailed....

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Speaking of half marathons, 'll have one on September, 30. I'm looking forward for it!

Cheers,

Ze

So how are you feeling about your upcoming race, Ze? Feel strong? nervous? What's the weather forecast to be?

HappyFeat

run the 72 km round my block.  At this stage confirmed for 3 November.   I was either going to do that or a 12 hour race, but sanity prevailed....

Very funny, both are a LOT of miles ... equally insane, I thinkWink.  You'll be done sooner with the 72 km though and it's probably a nicer course, right?  A month to go. Hope you have dryer weather by that time than your last one.

HappyFeat

Hard to believe the weekend is only a day away...this week flew by!  Went hiking again last Sunday, found the most perfect riverside campsite, and just parked it for a couple of hours. Haven't done that in a long while. It was so nice we plan to go there again this Sunday.  I'll try to increase my Saturday run to 13 miles to make my monthly mileage goal of 140. I've been sticking with 10 miles lately and last night's tempo run tired my legs out some. Hoping they feel better for Saturday after  taking tomorrow off.

Some great runs on here recently.  I have been following when I can.

Just been slugging it out here.  School being back in has really tightened up my schedule.  I have my 77 mile relay race tomorrow.  Wish I could say I was excited about it but I am just exhausted.  I have been working evening shift all this week plus getting up early for getting the boy off to school has resulted in 4 nights of 4 hours sleep.  Not surprised that I am now sick.  We have to be at the start at 3:30 AM so no chance for rest tonight.  Guess I'll sleep in the van between legs Smile.

P.S.  Registered for Boston, not sure if I will be able to go but I'm registered.

HappyFeat

Good luck tomorrow, Jeff!  Hope you can muster up enough energy to get through it and get some real recovery afterwards. 

I've been invited to go for a 12-mile trail run tomorrow - yay! Sunday, DH and I are hiking again. So I'll miss my monthly mileage goal by ONE mile- unless I do it tonight - just might do that before my yoga workout.

Good luck Jeff! It's a beautiful rainy morning here, the weather is perfect and morning runs are between 45-55*F. Just slowly building the miles...ran an easy 3 this morning and later I''ll tackle wallpaper removal in the bathroom and the kitchen cabinet order. Happy Saturday, A

Recalculating...

Very funny, both are a LOT of miles ... equally insane, I thinkWink.  You'll be done sooner with the 72 km though and it's probably a nicer course, right?  A month to go. Hope you have dryer weather by that time than your last one.

The 12-hour race was all on a 400 m track.....so round and round for 4 hours, then change direction for another 4, then back the other way for another 4.  So scenery would have been non-existent.  The 72 km training run I am going to do is all rural roads, with great scenery.  Cant wait.

Good luck with the relay Heffa, i'm sure it will be great.

Glad to see reno is being slowly replaced with some runs Ayola.

How did the 1/2 go Ze?

You must be just about finished your 2000 km Happy

Goals 2016

Do stuff

The relay went great and we had a blast.  We all ended up getting about 3 hours of sleep the night before so we got a little bit of a feel for how the 200 mile relay people were feeling.  I felt much stronger on my legs than I thought I would considering my lack of sleep and lingering sickness.  My first leg was 10.43 miles and I averaged 7:17's, then a couple hours later my second leg was 6 miles and I picked it up to 6:54's.  We put together the team with the goal of just having fun but the competitive spirit came out in everybody and they put in some great runs.  We ended up with 3rd of 18 teams with an average pace of 8:20/mile for 77 miles.

HappyFeat

Wonderful race results, Jeff! It's uplifting when you do better than you expected, isn't it? and you had a lot of fun - which you probably really needed. 

I had a wonderful Monday night run on my rolling hills route with DH bicycling along for protection. Kicking through maple leaves big as turkey platters; the wind blowing sideways, it was exhilarating!

Competitive spirit has a lot to answer for Heffa  :-) . Sounds like a great time was had by all.

Oh, and congratulations Happy, quietly ticked over the 2000 km without saying a word.  Well at least I don't think you did.

Goals 2016

Do stuff