2000Km-1243 mile club

April 2012 (Read 315 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Ran the Eisenhower Marathon in Abilene, Kansas today, it was my first road marathon in quite a while and I ran it fairly aggressively. It went really well, I felt strong all the way (well, legs got tired toward the end) and ended up with a Marathon PR! And my previous was on a fast downhill course so this is nice. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

a Marathon PR!

Way to go PerfesserR!!! That's fantastic! Congratulations!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Test.....Test

I tried to post yesterday but there are no signs of it today.

HappyFeat

Hey Jeff - how's it going?

I had a great tempo run last night with 4 of my 8 miles at 9:30 mpm! That's a first for me, other than in a race. Pretty pumped about that. Now a couple of rest days and then a nice long trail run on Saturday, aiming for 12+ miles. I've been using Recoverite drink after every run for a couple of weeks and it's made a noticeable difference in post-run soreness and next-day performance - yay! I'll really be able to tell in how recovered I am this Saturday from last night's run.

Perfesser - great PR!

Happy - good idea... as I get closer to June I should do some tempos at my half marathon pace (a bit slower than 9:30 he he). There is a local 10K here next week.

12 miles scheduled for tomorrow (saturday) morning, last week's long run shortened to 10 so I could help a friend with the Jazz festival planning.

Hope to hear from all of you out there! A

Recalculating...

Russ - Great race, getting better with age!

DW got the good news, all areas are responding to chemo and we are off to MCV to schedule the bone marrow transplant.  Still a long way to go but the first step is complete.

Imminent Catastrophe

Russ - Great race, getting better with age!

DW got the good news, all areas are responding to chemo and we are off to MCV to schedule the bone marrow transplant.  Still a long way to go but the first step is complete.

Smile

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

That is good news. We'll keep you in our thoughts and continue to send healing vibes her way

HappyFeat

Happy- good idea... as I get closer to June I should do some tempos at my half marathon pace (a bit slower than 9:30 he he). There is a local 10K here next week.

12 miles scheduled for tomorrow (saturday) morning, last week's long run shortened to 10 so I could help a friend with the Jazz festival planning.

I've heard that even 4 to 6 weeks of once a week tempo before a race can improve your result. I've  been running slowly for the last few months due to my January (foot) and February (back) injuries. So with the 12K on May 20 as my short term goal, I think I've started soon enough with the tempo runs. I hope to do as well as last year and won't cry if I surpass it (secret goal).

You and I can be virtual running buddies for tomorrow's LR, OK?

Great news, Jeff!

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Imminent Catastrophe

My coach has had me doing tempos once or twice a week (depends what you define as tempos) and I've cut 20 minutes off my marathon time, and I felt like I was expending roughly the same effort. My "comfortable" pace is about 45 seconds/mile faster too. Tempos are absolutely necessary IMO if you want to run faster.

HappyFeat

Tempos are absolutely necessary IMO if you want to run faster.

I'm finally getting the message - guess I'm a slow learnerBlush

Sweet Smile

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Just been away for a few days at a conference - real boring nerdy stuff, but it was held in a fantastic location.

Well, for scenery and running it is.  Here are some photos of Queenstown.  Autumnal colours were fantastic.

Got in a few runs so didn't feel guilty with all the conference food and drink..

+1 for tempo runs

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Just been away for a few days at a conference - real boring nerdy stuff, but it was held in a fantastic location.

Well, for scenery and running it is.  Here are some photos of Queenstown.  Autumnal colours were fantastic.

Got in a few runs so didn't feel guilty with all the conference food and drink..

+1 for tempo runs

Wow - Gorgeous photos! Thanks so much for posting them.

About running tempos - the thing is with all my (35Blush) years of running, I never bothered about finish time or pace much and didn't really train so much as just go out and run every day. I've always run for the fun of it and race goals were simply to finish the 10K or HM. That is, until trecently when it's become important to me to reach finish time and pace goals, and mileage goals.  I think this past couple years or so has been my first venture into any real "training."  I welcome any input anyone wants to throw at me. There's so much information "out there" that it's mind boggling. I get a bit overwhelmed with it and revert to simply going out and running as well as I can on any given day....which I think won't get me to my goals...which brings me full circle to recently including a weekly tempo run.