2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check-in: 19-25 July (Read 468 times)

Dutchie42

Goood Morning

It's a new week already, make it a good one!

I had an UB w/o + abs scheduled for today. But slept in till 6 AM. Have to be in hospital early for my eye check. Hopefully I can get the w/o in later today.

Have a great day and a most excellent run

ETA:

Been to the eye doctor for an after surgery check up.

For the good news: I have two visual distortions in my R-eye that should both disappear over time.

For the bad news: he expects cataract surgery within two years . There's no sign of cataract right now, so that's good. Apparently, the cataract will be a direct result of the retinal detachment surgery I've had. I need 3-monthly check ups from now on. Ah well, I'll deal with it when it happens.

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

I am pretty happy with my Tri results.  This was a rather large Tri with 36 guys in my age group so I knew it was going to be very competitive.   I ended up placing 5th for my age group!  I have to admit that I had a thought or two about placing but I should really be happy with my results considering it was only my 4th Tri.  I am most frustrated with my 5K time.  I felt really flat right from the start and ended up with a 22:22.  I'm blaming a hilly bike course for zapping the power out of my legs and the warm temps, but I'm still a little disappointed.  If you are interested you can check out my results here.  (Age group 40-44 bib #263)   http://www.setupevents.com/files/3Sports_AGMen_2010.html 

Dutchie - Keep up the positive attitude.  Eyesight is one of those gifts that we don't appreciate enough.

HappyFeat

Jeff, I think you did great! You can be proud of yourself. Blow off that feeling of disappointment, OK?  You beat out a whole lotta other guys!

Dutchie, so sorry to hear about cataracts in your future  The good news is that surgery is a piece of cake for the elderly, so you'll breeze right through it  That's really good news that the visual distortions you're experiencing will go away over time.

Another easy 5 tonight...no problems to mention...so happy about that.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dog-Love

I biked 10 while my daughter ran 10 in preparation for the SF half-marathon.  We are getting excited about running this and I still am not sure if I am running the half or perservering through the whole.  Don't really know why I am balking at running the half.  A bit of pride and a bit of desperation to complete my goals.  My legs feel better than they have in awhile and I only wish I was able to put in the training that I wanted.

Dutchie:  its great to get through those appointments and I have found it difficult to go to the doctor because at my age they always find some darn thing. 

Jeff:  nice job on the tri.  Hard race no doubt.  I have a hard time transitioning from the bike to the hot tub!

Happy...keep those runs enjoyable

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
          Dutchie42

Jeff: I still think you did amazingly well Congrats! I googled the whole cataract thing and actually the surgery is a piece of cake and recovery is like 2 or 3 days. What's to worry?

Crabby: when I set myself a goal race, I do want to run it so I understand where you're coming from. However, there's no shame in opting for a shorter the distance, like the 10 miles?

Happy Feat: you keep running easy happy miles

This morning was a hills/intervals mix for me. I opted for the TM, cause it was kinda darkish outside at 6AM. I guess I'm at that spot again where it gets increasingly difficult for me to run outside, cause it'll be dark.

7 min wu @9K/h
            3 min of 30 sec@10K with 30sec recovery @ 9K

followed by hill repeats
            90 sec @ 3-4-5% with 90 sec recoveries @ 0% (@9K)
            1 minute walkbreak for water and a fructose tablet

1 minute @9K and another set of hill repeats
            90 sec @ 5-4-3% with 90 sec recoveries @ 0% (@9K)
            5 min of 30 sec@10K with 30sec recovery @ 9K

then finished up till I hit the 7K mark at an easy pace of 9K

Added on a 20min LB w/o. Loosened up my legs very nicely.

Dutchie

Dutchie: I was about to pipe up about the short recovery for cataract surgery - hopefully it will just be an inconvenience if you have to do it.

Jeff: Congrats! I don't bike unless its firmly attached to the gym floor...

Speaking of which I did a 1 hour of spin class yesterday.

Today 1hr weight/resistance stuff with the trainer - 20 minutes elliptical warm up

Wed: 4 mile run

Lets keep up this pain free week!

A

Recalculating...

Dutchie42

Smooth. Effortless. Powerful. That's what this mornings 11.2K run was like. Maintained a pretty good pace despite temp already at 20C. I feel great. Saw deer along the way. Saw them before Spooky did so I could put her on leash. Magnificent run.

Ayola: how do you like your strength training?

Dutchie

4.5 miles this morning - not soupy! 18ºC with a breeze. I seem to be running a little faster at my easy pace. Don't know if this is because my mileage is  low - time to get out the heart monitor to double check I'm not running too fast.

Dutchie: So far so good. Its pretty challenging for me - I generally like to just put on the headphones, run and let my mind wander. Training requires a bit of concentration. I like the trainer - I feel she's pretty detail orientated. I think she's still trying out a bunch of different exercises to see which ones work for form and what weights are appropriate. I asked her to focus on core and upper body... so my arms generally feel like they are going to fall off. Also I'm cleaning up my eating post-vacation. I hope to see some general improvement by mid-August.

Tomorrow rest

Friday short run

Saturday 2hr run 10-11 miles

Happy Wednesday, A

Recalculating...

Dutchie42

You're right Ayola, strength training always requires you to focus on your form. I use dvd w/os so I don't have to count my reps, someone else does

ETA: I'm closing in Ayola... better run

Another fantastic run this morning. A nice and easy 7.3K with Spooky. Lovely morning too: sunny with a breeze. Pushups: 14+8+4

Dutchie

Dutchie42

Quiet here this week. Nobody running?

Another gorgeous morning: sunny with a breeze. There's a crispiness in the air that hasn't been there for over a month.

Just a short recovery type 3K run. Should've taken Spike too, but I was running late and taking Spike would add about 10 minutes to my run. He didn't seem too interested anyway. Maybe he still thinks it's too hot to run?

Dutchie

HappyFeat

checking in  - did four 5-milers this week - 3 of them in a row, but made the mistake of running too fast at times and running through pain the last two runs; so now I've relapsed. I was told it could take 6 weeks to fully heal and the importance of slooooow running; so it should be no surprise - but forgot that somehow when everything felt so good. I also neglected my yoga/pilates this week.  Needless to say, I'll be taking at least today off and getting a fresh start at doing things right.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Not much going on here this week.  I have been working evening shift so I don't get up until it's already 90F and we have been reaching 100F most days.  Just working a little on some swim drills in the pool.  I should be doing some core work during the down time but.......

Imminent Catastrophe

Meh. A couple of treadmill runs and an easy 4.5 miler. Nothing to mention. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

Perfesser: any run is worth mentioning Otherwise, I wouldn't be reporting much of anything.

Legs felt tired this morning. Took Spike with me who did really well until the point where we turned round to go home, sigh. He sort of instantly became this very disobedient doggie that I just had put on leash again.

I just noticed I'm 800 meters short of making 1000 kilometers today. I guess that when I take the dogs out for a walk later this afternoon, I'll just have to put on my running shoes and run those last meters

Dutchie

A real slog through the fog this morning for 10 miles. Tried a new route which seemed to be all uphill, ugh. Of course in the back of my mind is the worry about substituting cross training for running... oh well, the experiment continues until 8 weeks before the race.

I have no idea how anyone is surviving 90+ºF. My body is not adjusting to anything above high 70s.

Tomorrow: elliptical and resistance training

Monday: spin class

Tuesday: 1hr with trainer - I may try to sneak in a warm up run

Wed: 6 miles

Recalculating...