2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly mileage check-in week of 26 May (Read 236 times)

A Saucy Wench

Hey Dutchie, I know it is a holiday here, but what is your excuse for not starting the thread by now? Wink 2 mile warmup and a 10K today.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Rest day for me! I did 6.2 yesterday - was planning only 4.5 or so, but I felt good and kept going. It was nice running weather, so I thought it would be good to get a little extra in at the beginning of the week.

Imminent Catastrophe

Yeah, Dutchie is being docked a day's RA salary for not starting a thread. So there. Did my usual 6.2 today. I know that's 10k but I didn't plan it that way, it just turned out that the out-and-back that is my regular training route is 6.2 miles or 10k. It's getting too hot for the dogs now here in Georgia. 75°F/24°C might not seem that hot but it's really humid, in the sun, they are black, and the last mile is a really tough uphill in the sun. Dogs don't sweat so they really feel the heat more than we hominids. So you really have to be careful with them because they are so faithful that they will stay with you, not showing signs of discomfort, until they collapse and by then it's too late. We even have a creek that they can splash in and cool off but still we are being cautious with them. Anyway, I took them for a short 0.6 mile run then did the rest alone. I just have to say that I am finally starting to feel good about running for the first time in a long time. Ever since my last long race in January I have felt like my running has been a burden, a chore that I had to complete. This was due partly to my foot problem which forced me to shift to a new stride, and also to the hard race schedule that I did last year. Anyway, in the last couple of weeks I have actually started to enjoy my runs again. I just hope that it continues!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I run for Fried Chicken!

Perfesser: Glad to hear that you're enjoying running again. Just have to get through the ups and downs. Ran 4 today after getting back from a BBQ and I was slightly buzzed. Had 3 beers and a jello shot at the BBQ. haha. Interesting run. I also stopped at the grocery store about a mile away from home and picked up some apples for the wife. They weren't heavy, about 2.5 lbs of apple but they totally threw my running off. I kept switching the bag from hand to hand to keep myself balanced.
          Dutchie42

Ennay: no excuse really. Just very busy. No computer time yesterday. Perfesser: a whole day's pay????? No fair! Big grin Aaron: running with apples? That's a new one to me! Must have been interesting seeing you run Big grin Running is taking a back seat in favour of finishing the remodelling. They're putting in my new kitchen this week and I have to finish painting. Which progresses at a really slow pace if you're trying to hold down a job too Undecided Anyways, things have to be finished in a week cause the mini container in front of the house where I store my furniture will be removed next Tuesday, sigh. I'm participating in a 10K race on Sunday. I'm just glad that I know I can run the distance without any training right now. 2 years ago I ran a 10K in 1h01:13. Don't think I'll manage that this time. I'll just consider it to be another training run instead of trying to set a PR.

Dutchie
            Run the day, or the day runs you.

...---...

I had intended to run on Sunday but I spent all day putting in the rest of the vegetable garden...and I've already got squash borers (!&@%!). Got a group run tonight which I'm looking forward to. Same here with the weather and running with the dogs. Wife has been walking them a couple miles in the morning instead...hope this helps to establish a cohesive "pack." Russ - you're right about Hobbes, he is definitely pouting. I really didn't think of it that way until you suggested it but that's exactly what he's doing. So, I spent a lot of time with him Sunday and yesterday which seems to have made a big difference. Daisy II has started coming out of her shell. Poor Hobbes was quietly playing with his squirrel this morning when Daisy II snuck up behind him and snatched it away. Poor Hobbes was astonished. He looked at me as if to say "WTF? Are you just going to stand there and allow these crimes to continue?" Okay...back to work I go. Dutchie - looking forward to coming over for dinner when the new kitchen is finished Big grin

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

A Saucy Wench

OK Dutchie, you are forgiven...this time Big grin 5 miles this morning. Felt easier than the runs before my race. Weird. I've had that happen before, where the only way to get past constant feeling of dead legs and fatigue is to run reallly hard.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Teresadfp

One day at a time

My RP and I originally planned for this morning to be our long run. But it was 72 degrees when we headed out, and that is blazing HOT for us, especially with the sun glaring down on us. Since we're not acclimated to heat yet, we decided it was wise to shorten today's run and do the long one tomorrow. We made it 4.5 miles, and it was hard! Definitely the right decision - it had already warmed up to 80 shortly after we were finished. I wouldn't have made it 11 miles. I'm just hoping my body gets used to the warm weather quickly. Tomorrow will be back to regular Maine temps this time of year - high of 60 predicted. I don't see how southerners do it!

...---...

I don't how southerners do it!
                    It can be tough but you kind of get used to it. and even then run very early, or very late, slow down...way down, and take in fluids like crazy. I use a diluted sports drink during summer runs otherwise I have problems. photo's of Hobbes and Daisy: http://gallery.mac.com/pi_hole#gallery

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Ran a craptastic 10k yesterday. The only good thing about it was that including the warm-up and cooldown, I got my Monday~Sunday training week off to a good start. I think my unplanned taper last week really screwed me up, because my legs felt way better at the end of a 41 mile week than they did after last weeks piddly 19 miles. I may have written HTFU on my arms with a sharpie before the race, but I didn't live up to those all-important letters. There is one thing that solves almost all running-related problems: more running!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

A Saucy Wench

*clinks a frosty mug* Cheers Jeff to a craptacular run...apparently I was on the same page. Tongue Lets drown our sorrow in beer and get back out there and RUN

Teresadfp

One day at a time

You guys crack me up - I think you both did great!! Way to hang in there, Jeff. Good luck on improving your time! Teresa

...---...

4.3M with the neighborhood buddies. really warm ~85 F at run time. Had to run in a plan cotton shirt (tech stuff in dirty hamper) which was drenched in the end. I think it's time to pick up few technical tank tops.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Dutchie42

Managed to get a 6.5K run in this morning with Spooky. Spike was sad and annoyed because he had to stay home. When we got back, Jimmy had put Spike up on his bed and Spike was a very happy little doggie again Smile

Dutchie
                              Run the day, or the day runs you.

dork.major dork.

Did 5.5 on the treadmill at the gym last night. Amazing how mentally tough that was... plodding along, watching some crappy reality TV show. I think I can only use that thing for hills/intervals or speedwork. Everything else is mind-numbing. I need to get better at getting out of bed to run in these beautiful sunny mornings. I'll work on that, but for now, today is a rest day. Trying to hit 90 for the month.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.