2000Km-1243 mile club

September 2012 (Read 225 times)

My race is tomorrow morning at 8 am. It's just about 7 pm here now. I'm as ready as I can be. I drove the course earlier this evening. It's a flat out-and-back and the weather looks to be good. So I have no excuse not to run well, right? If not, it won't be for lack of trying.

Sounds like every thing is perfect, you will go well.  Good luck

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Some pics from yesterday

At the start

2nd place in the middle, third on the right

21km, running strong

After 21km all was good, sun was still out but strong headwind.

42km

Looking blurry at 42km55km

Still smiling despite gravel roads and 55km, and head wind still

Finish

And still smiling despite a wet finish

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

What a great photo record of your effort, Puke! You ran a great race and have the beaming face to prove it! Wonderful to see the pics!

Sooo...I DID it! It was really hard and I didn't think I had a chance when I was about a minute off goal about mile 8 or 9. I did what I could to make up time, but it seemed impossible. There was a strong headwind the entire second half which I really struggled with.Then I saw the finish clock saying 1:59 some yards away. I told my left quad that now was not the time to cramp up and topple me over, told the rest of my rubber legs to move in an orderly fashion, and came in with 40 seconds to spare! I don't really know how it happened since I couldn't manage 9 minute miles, but the finish clock doesn't lie - so I must have done it! My 7th and fastest HM ever.

Next goal is to get a LOT more comfortable with 9 mpm pace and try for another 2-hr HM that hopefully isn't as hard - seems reasonable to me.

DH tried to take a took a pic as I started and finished, but they didn't turn out so great; so he took and also a posed "Happy Finisher" shot as well. Big grin

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Fantastic run Happy, well done, all that training has paid off. 

Now you have the sub-2 ticked off it will get easier.

Great photos, I thought your DH has done a great job.  My father was my crew for me in my race, and I gave him strict instructions to take lots of photos.  And he forgot.  Luckily I had other crews around me.

Congratulations again

Big grin

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Great runs, both of you.  Thanks for sharing the pictures.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

HappyFeat

Great photos, I thought your DH has done a great job.  My father was my crew for me in my race, and I gave him strict instructions to take lots of photos.  And he forgot

That's disappointing when that happens - something like that is pretty much what usually happens to me. You're right though - DH came through.  The funny thing is he had the camera set up to take multiple shots at the start and then we could pick a good one. He set it off at what he thought would be the right time,  but....he never actually saw me go by. I was waving and calling to him, but it was pretty noisy and he didn't see or hear me. He realized I must have gone by  when a 4:40 marathon pacer went by.  So the "starting" pic was a complete fluke. Obviously we are both happy about that!

Pukekura,

I'd like some day to make a run like that. But I've never ran more then 30km in a single go. I'll try to do a marathon this year, just to see if I can make it.

When I go for a long trail run (usually, but not very often, around 20km), if the conditions are fine, it feels great and am even sorry when it's over. That's when I think "I have to try a marathon"! But when I race a half marathon, I get to the finish line completely exhausted and unable to run for another step. OK, I try to do it fast, it's supposed to hurt a bit, but still. That's when I think "No way I could ever run a marathon"!

But I'd really like to try a big race like that. Next year maybe...

Speaking of half marathons (congrats on yours, HappyFeat!), I'll have one on September, 30. I'm looking forward for it! Actually, it's a bit of a drag: on the same day, much closer to my home, there's a 50km trail ultra where I could try my wings. But before I knew that I had already signed for the HM and convinced another friend to come... Half marathon it is!

Cheers,

Ze

Imminent Catastrophe

Nicely done Happy and Puke! Happy, you took it down to the wire, didn't you!

Today was my dreaded long, solo run. 37 miles on a pretty 3.7-mile loop trail, the first couple in the dark. My legs started getting some pain in the first 6-8 miles (remnants of last weekend's high miles) but then felt better. Had to stop for a timber rattler sitting right in the trail, I kept throwing acorns at him but he wouldn't move so had to poke him with a stick. He was NOT happy, but slithered off, rattling. Of course every time I passed that point I was VERY watchful but didn't see him again.

Anyway that's the big run, I start tapering off for Rio Del Lago now.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

I don't even know how I got it done at all really. I was "done" by the end of mile 6 and then it was into the wind! I didn't sleep a wink the night before, but I don't know if that was it. I just felt tired the whole way. I'm very pleased to accomplish my goal - it was a big one for me, but look forward to a race where I feel stronger. Encountering a rattler on my run would certainly have given me an energy boost! No such luck though. You are so brave, PerfesserR!  Your extended solo run sounds daunting. I'm glad you're over that hump.

Pukekura,

I'd like some day to make a run like that. But I've never ran more then 30km in a single go. I'll try to do a marathon this year, just to see if I can make it.

When I go for a long trail run (usually, but not very often, around 20km), if the conditions are fine, it feels great and am even sorry when it's over. That's when I think "I have to try a marathon"! But when I race a half marathon, I get to the finish line completely exhausted and unable to run for another step. OK, I try to do it fast, it's supposed to hurt a bit, but still. That's when I think "No way I could ever run a marathon"!

But I'd really like to try a big race like that. Next year maybe...

Speaking of half marathons (congrats on yours, HappyFeat!), I'll have one on September, 30. I'm looking forward for it! Actually, it's a bit of a drag: on the same day, much closer to my home, there's a 50km trail ultra where I could try my wings. But before I knew that I had already signed for the HM and convinced another friend to come... Half marathon it is!

Cheers,

Ze

It's all about going slower the longer you go, although I almost stuffed up by running too fast over the first 25km on Saturday.  That meant I slowed down more over the later part of the course than I did last year.

Try a real slow run as one of your training runs, just go for time instead of distance. And don't be ashamed to walk.

Cheers

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Wow, I'm catching up on some really great racing here. That's an awesome smile after achieving your race goal- Happy. And Puke, I'm still wrapping my mind around the ultra distances (my longest run was 15 miles in 2011).

Nothing much to see here running wise, I'm just adding some short runs into the schedule so I can get back to base mileage for next year, new neighborhood new routes. We are chipping away at the house (basement cleaning, more priming and paint, filling in insulation holes) I think I'll get my weekends back around Christmas.

Keep it up! Or not! if you're tapering...

Happy tuesday, A

Recalculating...

How is the body feeling Happy?  Recovered after your race last weekend?

I managed a 6km run on Thursday and a 12km today.  Legs a bit tired so took it easy.

Now thinking about my next event.  Have free entry to a local 1/2 on the 7th October, but seriously considering entering a 12 hour track race on the 6th.  Which means that I want to do it, just have to convince DW that it is a good idea Smile

So what is every one else up to.  Hope the reno is going well Ayola

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Happy Saturday morning, everyone  (middle of the night to you, Puke)

Just finished coffee - yoga workout next - then go for a run.

I'm going out on my 10-mile rolling hills route and expect it will go well.

On the first run this week - after 2 days off - my legs felt like I was still running the end of the HM! Quads felt like they'd taken a beating and hams grabbed every time I tried to stretch the quads. I ran the last 3 nights though and each was much better than the one before it. By last night my legs felt perfectly normal - including the old right AT problem.  I'm beginning to suspect that is linked to either the shoes or the route -still need to figure out which. For the 2 weeks before the race, I ran in new shoes and not that particular route. The tight AT resolved and was never a problem in the race. This week, by the second run, it was back. Hmmm. I'll run in the new shoes today. The suspect route is the start of the rollling hills route, so I can't avoid that part. 

For my recent birthday, I got a couple of gift cards and have been having fun buying new running clothes. So far, a pair of teal green shorts, the tank I wore in the race and the same shirt in short sleeve. Last night I ordered a pair of plum colored shorts and matching short sleeve top - hopefully not toooo matchy matchy, but we'll see when they get here. I get so tired of the black shorts uniform, so this has been fun.

Tomorrow DH and I are going hiking again. The planned trail is just over 10 miles RT and has almost 3000 feet elevation gain. This will doubtless affect the rest of my running week, but will be so worth it. I love being in the mountains and there should be some great photo ops.  I'll post pics if any turn out.

Tomorrow DH and I are going hiking again. The planned trail is just over 10 miles RT and has almost 3000 feet elevation gain. This will doubtless affect the rest of my running week, but will be so worth it. I love being in the mountains and there should be some great photo ops.  I'll post pics if any turn out.

You are going to trust DH with the camera????

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

You are going to trust DH with the camera????

Very funny, Puke   That would be a "no," at least not with mine. He has his own to play with.