2000Km-1243 mile club

March 2012 (Read 380 times)

My work schedule has changed recently and I will be available to run in the virginia 24 hour run for cancer if I wanted to.  I have been using my work schedule as an excuse for why I can't do it.  I have been considering the merits of participating in a 24 hour race just for a little test of mind and body.  Now that my schedule has cleared up I am forced to actually analyze whether I want to do it or not.  I must say I am leaning towards crazy and thinking about doing it.  Obviously they have team categories but what would be the fun in that?  Unless of course I could arrange for a ringer to fly in and challenge for the 2 person team.

HappyFeat

Then I had a look at the YTD distance and saw the Happy was catching up so thought I had better get back into it.  Happy....bummer about the AT and calf, really hope you get on top of it soon.

You are making a speedy recovery! I'm impressed and I have no doubt I'll always be trailing you in total mileage.

I had to cut my run short by 2 miles tonight due to a domino-style cascade of leg complaints. Started with left anterior tib muscle spasm, which led to limping, causing right AT/calf to tighten, then the left quad; by the time I was walking home, my right hip hurt from all the imbalances! I'm grateful that tomorrow is a planned rest day. I think this is some kind of generalized issue because I've been plagued this week with tight and crampy neck and upper back muscles too. OK, enough boo hooing; after I didn't just run an endurance event like some of us here.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

A video/photo presentation from the Tarawera ultra.

Keep an eye out for two RAs about 45 sec in, and my sons sign about 1:35 sec in. 

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Thanks for posting the video! What a treat to watch!

Imminent Catastrophe

Cool, thanks Brian. Now here's one for you that I can relate to (somewhat off-topic and definitely NSFW) Big grin

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Cool, thanks Brian. Now here's one for you that I can relate to (somewhat off-topic and definitely NSFW) Big grin

Hilarious.  So I take it you really enjoyed your 22 hours on a plane Smile  each way.

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Agreed - totally hilarious! He's great.

I'm just in from a trail run in my new trail shoes, with a new friend and her 2 dogs. Gorgeous sunny day, 35F when we started at 9 am, in the 50's now. It was quite a strenuous workout. Last time - my first time on that trail -  I only went out 5 miles and turned around. This time the plan was for 12 total  and I learned that mile 6 is all uphill and quite steep, although it tricks you because it's winding around on the side of a mountain, so you don't suspect that each turn will lead to just a little bit steeper grade.  She just ran the Napa Marathon a couple weeks ago, so she was happy with an "easy" run today (lucky for me). She'll be running the Yakima Marathon next weekend, so I can rest up for when she comes back and we do this again!

Agreed - totally hilarious! He's great.

I'm just in from a trail run in my new trail shoes, with a new friend and her 2 dogs. Gorgeous sunny day, 35F when we started at 9 am, in the 50's now. It was quite a strenuous workout. Last time - my first time on that trail -  I only went out 5 miles and turned around. This time the plan was for 12 total  and I learned that mile 6 is all uphill and quite steep, although it tricks you because it's winding around on the side of a mountain, so you don't suspect that each turn will lead to just a little bit steeper grade.  She just ran the Napa Marathon a couple weeks ago, so she was happy with an "easy" run today (lucky for me). She'll be running the Yakima Marathon next weekend, so I can rest up for when she comes back and we do this again!

I sense we have another convert in our midst.  Sounds like a nice run

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Went out for a snowshoe hike today, a little over 5 miles with a lunch break halfway. Beautiful day in the mountains. Clear sunny skies. No pics since I didn't take the camera. Didn't get above the tree line for any good view photos anyway.  My legs still a bit tired from yesterday. Not sure I'm up for tomorrow nights planned 6 miles, but we'll see.

MTA:

So I have a question for Garmin using trail runners. I logged my snowshoe hike of today. The miles on the log entry show I walked 5.37 miles, but the map shows 6.74 miles. Is the Garmin incorrect because of elevation changes and the map correct because it uses known mileage numbers?

MTA:

So I have a question for Garmin using trail runners. I logged my snowshoe hike of today. The miles on the log entry show I walked 5.37 miles, but the map shows 6.74 miles. Is the Garmin incorrect because of elevation changes and the map correct because it uses known mileage numbers?

In my experience, the Garmin measured distance is very inaccurate in steep terrain.  One theory is that its measuring distance along the X-axis only, not distance along the road.  Which makes sense when you put yourself in the point of view of the satellite that is measuring your progress: it won't look like you're moving much at all going up a steep hill when looking down from however many miles overhead.

If you're talking about the RA map, it has access to better elevation data so it could do the trigonometry to better estimate how far you travelled.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Imminent Catastrophe

Yes, GPS usually reads short on twisty trails so I'd go with the measured map.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

The map distance wins then - probably especially since we were hiking up an actual road - snow covered and closed until June. It was really beautiful though, remote, winding through the forest and up the mountain.  I just feel bad for DH who is only just starting to exercise again after several years of being quite sedentary. The plan was for a total of just 4 miles. It got extended because we wanted to get to a vista view point for lunch.  Overall it was quite a workout - almost 7 miles!

HappyFeat

Didn't run yesterday in favor of a yoga workout (been slackingRoll eyes and feeling the effects of that!). Ran 6 slow miles tonight. It's so great now with the time change, running outdoors in the evening. They are predicting rain all week  here, but so far it hasn't happened. It was clear and I got to watch a bald eagle fly by not too far overhead.