2000Km-1243 mile club

March 2012 (Read 380 times)

That lady broke her ankle? I had been playing tag with her for quite a while, then saw her just past the Okataina stop (km 39) sitting by the trail with two other runners tending to her, looking at her ankle, they assured me they didn't need any help. She seemed to be a very experienced runner, it must have been devastating for her.

I took a couple of spills there in that nasty section, and a guy running ahead of me tripped and almost tumbled down the hill 30 feet into the lake. Barely caught himself. Good times!

Today was recovery day, did a hot mineral bath soak (this is a geothermal area) and a massage, which helped but my quads are just wrecked.

That's what they told me when I asked at the next aid station.  There were a few who DNFed in that leg and the one before.

I obviously wasn't pushing hard enough as I only had one near miss, just out from the Tarawera Outlet aid station (55km).  Flat bit of ground, looking at the lake and the mountain, missed the rock. About 20 ft of stumbling and arm waving later....reminder to pay attention

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Thanks for posting the photos Puke - you certainly look fresh and not at all tired in any of the pics! Sounds like the course was quite challenging. Congratulations on coming in so far ahead of your time goal - despite stopping to admire the scenery. Love the cheering signs your family put up for you. Support like that is invaluable.

Jeff!!! I just turned on my computer and got the emails from the runner tracking system - including your Finish TimeBig grin

(I'm not sure if it's bad etiquette for me to post it before you do, so apologies if so.)

You must be thrilled with your result of 3:18, a new PR, and BQ

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Very happy with my performance. I gave 3:15 my best shot, but paid the price later in the race. The last 6 miles were rather uncomfortable. I'll take the PR of about a minute plus a BQ by over 6 minutes.

Great job, Jeff.  3:18 should definitely give you enough margin to get an earlier entry slot.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Fantastic effort Jeff.  PR and BQ. I take it you didn't spend any time admiring any of the scenery then Smile

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Imminent Catastrophe

Congrats Jeff! Now you can join in on that "Boston Jacket" thread!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Fantastic effort Jeff.  PR and BQ. I take it you didn't spend any time admiring any of the scenery then Smile

No scenery like you guys had here in Va Beach.  I did stop a couple times for extra hydration and to talk to the family.  I have noticed that in the marathon distance and above it really doesn't slow you down much to stop once in a while.  I had some friends come out to watch me with their small children so I spent a little extra time at the half way point with them.

Congrats Jeff! Now you can join in on that "Boston Jacket" thread!

I thought about posting in that thread yesterday.  I was sporting my jacket yesterday in honor of my BQ.  I thought it was an appropriate time to wear it.

Imminent Catastrophe

Wow, bought the jacket before your BQ. You are living dangerously!

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Wow, bought the jacket before your BQ. You are living dangerously!

Oh no, not that jacket!  My 2010 jacket.

. I'll take the PR of about a minute plus a BQ by over 6 minutes.

Congrats!

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

What a long day. With the dateline crossing it was 41 hours long, 17 hours in airplanes and 8 hours in airports, plus 3 more hours driving. Now we're back in Georgia but still can't go home because we had floors refinished and they need another day to dry. Oh well, another day of vacation!

Russ, Brian - How are all of your parts feeling after your little jaunt?

My legs actually feel very good after my run.  My right knee was probably the worst of my pains but feels fine now.  I'll be testing it further with a little longer run today.

HappyFeat

That is quite a long journey, Russ!  Hope both you ultrarunners are recovering well.

Glad you are bouncing back, Jeff, and that the knee doesn't sound like too serious of a problem.

I had a good run on Monday, but the next two days were slower and my right AT/calf is bothering me again - boo!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Russ, Brian - How are all of your parts feeling after your little jaunt?

My legs actually feel very good after my run.  My right knee was probably the worst of my pains but feels fine now.  I'll be testing it further with a little longer run today.

The day after, just a little fatigued.  +48 hours walking on flat ground in a straight line no problem.  However, throw in a slight incline at a kerb, or stairs, or a change of direction and it kept DW amused all day.  By tuesday I was mostly ok, just a bit sore.

Then I had a look at the YTD distance and saw the Happy was catching up so thought I had better get back into it.  Did a 4km run Thursday and felt really good.  Didn't look at my watch until 2km in and found I was running at my 1/2 marathon pace.  All this forcing myself to run slow was suddenly forgotten.  Will look at maybe 15-20km on Saturday, but that will depend on how much of the delayed chores around the house I can get done.  Seems to have built up over the last 3 months.  Although just about to enter the Rotorua marathon again....that is in about 5 or 6 weeks.  Another frustration in that marathon last year and a chance meeting in a pub after with the Tarawera RD, got me started in ultra running.  Supposedly, I've been told, running ultras is good training for a marathon.  Watch this space

Russ....such a loooong way to go for a run.  I hope you enjoyed your stay in NZ.

Jeff, glad to hear the body has come through that incredible marathon pretty good.  Excuse my ignorance, but when is Boston....and how many other hoops do you have to jump through to get there?

Happy....bummer about the AT and calf, really hope you get on top of it soon.

Right...better go back and see what else has been going on in our group, Haven't really read too much in the last week.

Goals 2016

Do stuff