2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check in April 27 - May 3 (Read 335 times)

...---...

Yo - kicking it off here on a Monday. As Dutchie would say: New week people, make it a good one ;-) I got in 5 on Sunday. It was slow and probably a little ugly but 5 miles is a huge step for me. The groin thigh thing seems to be making great progress with the targeted stretching and PT. I don't want to get my hopes up but I'm encouraged. No running today but I'll cross train in some way, stretching for sure! I got my vegetable garden put in on Sat/Sun. I'm a little late this year but up until now, it's been cool so don't think I've lost much time. This year I've got 7 tomato plants (all different varieties, 2 of them are cherry types), red pepper, tomatillo, zucchini, summer squash, cucumber, ancho chili, and jalapeno. Herb garden is thriving now - rosemary, common thyme, lemmon thyme, Italian basil and sweet basil, flat leaf parsley, chives. I think that's it. Photo of one lazy dog: http://www.flickr.com/photos/treylominack/3464396162/ Have a great week all!

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Dutchie42

Trey: Oh that's such a lovely picture of Daisy Cool And the first 5 miler is in, big step indeed. You got your own vegetable garden. I would love to have one. My garden is teeny tiny though. I sometimes grow cherry tomatoes and strawberries, and I have a prune tree, apple tree and black berries. Nothing to report today. Woke up with another major headache, so skipped the recovery run and UB w/o. But like Trey said, it's a new week, I'm gonna make it a good one!

Dutchie
      Run the day, or the day runs you.

Imminent Catastrophe

Glad you're making progress Trey. 5 miles around the deck of the ship today, 5 laps/mile. It was pretty nice and cool and not too much wind. It's a nice rubberized track and not too hard on the legs, plus the walkers are pretty courteous, at least more so than the typical walkers at a race. Internet is expensive here so I'll be off the grid most of the time. So far the west coast of Mexico is not under Swine Flu alert...so far so good.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

...---...

So far the west coast of Mexico is not under Swine Flu alert...so far so good.
          I wish I could go back to Mazatlan. Jealous of you.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

5 miles around the deck of the ship today, 5 laps/mile.
            Wow, that's some big boat. The only cruise we went on it was 11 laps/mile (good luck keeping count of that) and the track overlapped the basketball court. Stay on target even if you can't check in here.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Dutchie42

I was pottering about in the kitchen at 5AM when suddenly Jim (16yo) appeared. He'd decided to come with me on my run. About 3 minutes later, Mike (18yo) showed up. Also wanted to come on the run. I was like: "am I still dreaming?" What's going on? Well they did come with me and Spooky. Spooky was very excited and probably sligtly confused. We ran pretty fast (for me, not for the boys) and I was totally surprised that I could merrily chat while running at that speed. When we got to the dike an accident had happened. Lots of police cars there. It was about 300 meters from where we were. But as we stood there, waiting for Jim to relace his shoes and sipping water, one of the police cars drove up to where we were. Guess the cop was curious about what that little dancing light was on my head Wink Anyways, nice run, great company. Perfesser: good on you for running the 5 miles on a boat. Around here, cruises are considered trips for the elderly Clowning around

Dutchie

...---...

Perfesser: good on you for running the 5 miles on a boat. Around here, cruises are considered trips for the elderly Clowning around
                LOL. Guess I'll consider skipping that cruise later in fall. Tongue Got in a nice 4.5 miles late this morning. Knock on wood, it's starting to come together. I think I'm going to focus on LHR (MAF) paced runs. Seems to have gotten Perfesser back on track (any advice Russ?).

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

I have done three months of pure LHR training at the beginning of this year. At the beginning it was awful since I have to run 14 minutes plus per mile pace, and now I believe for me to run below 12:30 pace will break my running form to the extent of causing some muscle injuries. But I was seeing my MAF pace progressing, so that was good. Now I still run two easy 5 mile+ runs as LHR run every week, pace is around 12:00, it is slow but you feel great after the run the whole day. For your fitness level you can probably do 11:00 - 11:30 pace. If you decide to do LHR running, try it seriously for like 12 weeks, doing only LHR run, it works best if you avoid any higher intensity activities during that period.
                  LOL. Guess I'll consider skipping that cruise later in fall. Tongue Got in a nice 4.5 miles late this morning. Knock on wood, it's starting to come together. I think I'm going to focus on LHR (MAF) paced runs. Seems to have gotten Perfesser back on track (any advice Russ?).

Imminent Catastrophe

Uh-oh. Change of plans. Spent the day kayaking/snorkeling in Cabo. After pulling out all Mexico port calls cancelled. Now headed for-San Francisco! Yay! Must hit the Buena Vista!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

Perfesser: you seem to have a great vacation! Gorgeous morning. Great run. What a way to start my birthday Wink Just one break for Dutchie business Wink Had my sips while running. I feel terrific!

Dutchie

anneb

Dutchie - happy birthday! Perfesser - every time I check in I can't help picture you running round and round on a boat. Tongue Have a great trip! Nice run for me this morning too, 8-ish miles outside, was in the upper 40's and cloudy. Good running weather. Have a great day everyone!

Anne

...---...

Uh-oh. Change of plans. Spent the day kayaking/snorkeling in Cabo. After pulling out all Mexico port calls cancelled. Now headed for-San Francisco! Yay! Must hit the Buena Vista!
                          You lucky dog. They don't serve Anchor Steam on tap at the Buena Vista but the Irish Coffee is still mighty tasty. Ever been to the Cliff House? Great scenery of the pacific and Seal Rock. MTA: Happy Birthday Dutchie!

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Perfesser, we just got back from Nuevo Vallerta, on the west coast. Saturday, we saw a couple of people wearing surgical masks and wondered why! Some or all of my family would get up every morning at 7 am to run down this beautiful boulevard that was lined with golf courses and condos, and had palm trees in the median. It was wonderful! I liked this area much better than Cancun. We want to go back! My three kids are all getting grilled by their friends about swine flu, lol. I'm SO happy our trip was last week instead of next!
                              Happy Birthday, Dutchie! Short 2 miler. Man, did it feel good to get back out on the road. It was supposed to be a gentle 2, but it just felt too good to take it easy. We'll see if I regret it tomorrow That bunny's gaining on me. Better get busy.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

AnneCA

Happy Birthday Dutchie! And how nice to get a run with your boys the other day. Russ -- happy anniversary! Sounds like you'll have a story to tell about this vacation. Trey -- glad to hear things are going well with you getting the mileage in again. Drphibes -- great to get back out there already, and that it felt good. Teresa -- nice to see you! I did another supposed marathon pace this morning, just shy of ten miles total, about 9 miles at pace. I'm not getting any better yet at doing them at my actual target marathon pace (9:40). Not off by huge amounts, but, still, I imagine over the course of an actual marathon there's a big difference between 9:40 and 9:20. But, as I said, whenever I try to slow it down, I seem to fall to 10+. I just can't find that right middle gear! Practice, practice.