2000Km-1243 mile club

November 2014 (Read 10 times)

HappyFeat

It's definitely Fall here in the PNW. Lots of red and gold on the trees.

Yesterday DH and I went out for the Inaugural Momentum Trail Running Training Plan Run of 6 miles on the Adventure Trail. The weather was a perfect high 40’s and clear.  After all the rain this past week, the forecast for a partly sunny day held true. IRC!!!

He’s done some intermittent walk/running in the past couple weeks, including a hilly 3-mile trail loop and including a couple outings that took 90-minutes.  Kind of inconsistent “weekend warrior” stuff, so part of the purpose of this run was to get a measure of where he’s at. He did super! He ran pretty much the entire way and said he was pretty much spent at the end. He wore a heart rate monitor and walked briefly here and there to get his heart rate down to the range he was shooting for. I was happy to find that his target HR pace is in line with my EZ trail running pace. This was a surprise because several years ago when I ran on the road with him, his target HR pace was basically a brisk walk. So he’s in better shape starting over this time.

I planned to take photos, but that didn't work out. The next run will be in 2 weeks and I'll try to get some scenery shots for you.

Now I need to get my butt in gear and go for my weekend long run. Undecided on the distance because last Sundays' trail race really had an impact and nearly all of my runs this week have been at least 2 miles shorter than planned. Hmm, I guess going with that formula, I will do 12 today. Great, now I'm all set!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Great job Mr. Happy!

Pretty quiet around here, I ran 5 miles this morning 7*C a bit rainy, no snow yet thank ye gods for warm Atlantic air. Then, I  made a good broccoli soup.

have a great Sunday, A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

We have about the same weather here, Ayola. Same exact temp for my run today which I got done right before the rain started. Yesterday was a nice break from the rain we had all last week.   Oooh, broccoli soup sounds perfect for this weather!

Imminent Catastrophe

New York City Marathon. My second time. What a tremendous race, if you ever get the opportunity, do it!. I ran in 2010 and after losing in the lottery for three years, both DW and I got in under the "three strikes" rule. Unfortunately they have eliminated that three strikes rule so this will be my last NYC Marathon. Terrible winds on the Verrazano Narrows bridge, 50 MPH gusts, there was so much debris blowing across the course and we were keeping to the left lane for fear we might be blown off the bridge! Runner's hats and mylar wraps were being torn off them and blowing across the roadway, it was crazy. The crosswinds were blowing our upwind legs so they brushed the other leg. Those turned into headwinds which persisted for most of the time through Brooklyn and Queens, then got worse from mile 16-20 on First Avenue in Manhattan. Kudos to the spectators who stayed out there all that time until we passed. Running up 1st Avenue in Manhattan with all the cheering crowds makes you feel like an astronaut or war hero in a ticker-tape parade. It's unbelievable. A race like no other. It takes forever to get to the start, and it takes forever to get back to your hotel after the finish, but it's worth it. At least once.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Sounds like you enjoyed yourselves despite the mighty wind. Good for you for staying strong!

Glad you had a great time Perfesser, those high winds turned into an early blizzard in Maine and New Brunswick! Missed us by a hair...

5 miles this morning... Happy Thursday, A

Recalculating...