2000Km-1243 mile club

2000km (Read 519 times)

Over 25 miles last week, what a relief Smile

Pukekura, did you say you were thinking about the Tarawera race? Now that I seem to be recovering my brain is thinking strange thoughts. I'm thinking about telling my wife that we should visit New Zealand for our anniversary next March, with just one little condition...

Yep PerfesserR, picked up an early, early bird entry to the 85km, but after my my first ultra a couple of weeks back I am seriously thinking of turning right rather than left and doing the full hundred.  Thinking that if I actually train for it, should be much easier. Look forward to catching up with you at the TuM

Good to see some good mileage for everyone recently.  Myself...been doing nothing, well should rephrase that...haven't been running.  Weather has been rubbish, motivation has been non-existent, and I have really needed to catch up with some household chores...or earn some man points as they say, which I can then redeem for my next big run

10km tonight...easy

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Imminent Catastrophe

I hope to make it down there! What's it like to run upside down? Big grin

You'll have to give some suggestions about what to do and see if we're there for a week or so after the race.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

You'll have to give some suggestions about what to do and see if we're there for a week or so after the race.

Upside down?  That explains why Vibram five fingers are so popular down this way

Other things to do....depends on how you feel after......my wife would probably suggest a shoe shopping ultra Smile

But if you want some scenery, the main thermal area is based around Rotorua. Plenty of trail running and walking options nearby as well.

Couple of hours away in one direction will take you to the http://www.tongarirocrossing.org.nz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=27  World Heritage park.

The other direction... http://www.karangahakegorge.co.nz/

Further north.... Karekare....I think Malcolm Law's website has some details on this and many more http://runningwildnz.com/

Then there is the South Island......too much to think of for now.

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Hee hee

This morning, I ran 6 miles at my HM pace (10:30-10:40 m/m) coulda been faster, overall around 10.5 miles. I like running at sunrise. My "glutes" are quite sore but that's from 4 hours of assembling shelves for the husband's birthday present yesterday afternoon. I am Mrs. Fix-it.

A

Recalculating...

Good luck on the race Happy. I'm rooting for you! A

Recalculating...

Happy, hope everything went well today goes well tomorrow..  I thought your preparation was excellent, so I'm betting you did well.will do great.

Friday I did .33 miles on the treadmill which got me over 1 mile for September.  Today, the first time outside in 3 weeks.  .75 miles.  2:00 run/3:00 walk x 4.  That'll be the plan for the next few days.  Maybe I'll be able to ratchet it up to 1 mile total running next week.  Just have to take it slow and easy.

MTA: 50/50 chance the race was Saturday and I guessed wrong.  Good luck tomorrow!

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

HappyFeat

Well at this point, I wish it was over with since I'm simply dying of curiosity to see how I do - but it's tomorrow morning - Sunday.  Am packing now to drive over (3 hours) to the locale and stay overnight. Should be pleasant weather - trying not to be too nervous. I'll let you know how it goes.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Imminent Catastrophe

Good luck, we're all counting on you!

I had a couple really nice runs in Central Park this weekend. Feeling a little leg-tired but good. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I managed to complete my scheduled 18 miler today.  It has rained non-stop here for the last week so this weeks long run was in the rain again.  I kind of enjoy the rainy runs.  Fairly uneventful run for me, started to feel it at about 16 but I was able to finish up at pace.  The PF is behaving itself for the most part so that was a non issue today.

Good luck Happy!

Good effort Heffa.

Same Mrs Fixit. 

Drphibes....sounds better in km. 1.6, well done

Good luck with the HM Happy.

Did a 10k and 9k mid-week, then 12km on Saturday. Spring is here which makes for nice running weather. Daylight saving just started as well, so looking forward to teh evening runs now.

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Thanks so much for all the good vibes, support, and helpful advice - my race went really well. I ran hard, but not flat out. I knew the hill at mile 9 was a biggie, so I conserved for that. Then I tried to go as fast as I could. I was limited by a side stitch throughout mile 4 and 13 (from going too fast for my breathing), and guarding against Rt glute twinges (story to follow). I surpassed my goal time of 2:10 and ran 2:05 (9:35 avg pace) according to my GarminBig grin. Just like last year, it measured the course almost a quarter mile short of 13.1 miles with the loss in the first mile; so I really don't know what to make of that. Plus my final time might be a tiny bit faster than 2:05 because I thought I was off course somewhere in the last 2 miles and had to stop and decide whether to go on or turn back. I think the announcer at the finish line said 2:03, but I'm not sure. 

I was fortunate to come up behind 3 young guys in about the third mile who were running just under 10 mpm (my goal pace); so I determined to shadow them which worked really well for me and they didn't seem to mind. For one guy, it was his first HM and when he said his calf was tightening up, I suggested he try focusing on working his glutes more to relieve his calves of some of the workload. He was very happy when that resolved his calf issue.  I left them behind in mile 9 and by the 12th I was running alone. The race description description says the last 1.5 miles are trail though the park, but I believe in reality it's 2.5 miles.

So I managed to set off the right pyriformis pain or glute muscle cramp, whatever it was, before the race ever started. I was waiting for the shuttle bus from the parking area to the park and another entrant says: Did you know they'll be closing bib pick-up in 9 minutes?  Well, no I didn't! So as soon as the bus drops us off at the park entrance, I dash up the trail to where they have the tables set up and successfully get my bib number. I head over to the potty line, only to hear someone talking about the "chips." S**t!! I wasn't given a CHIP!! I make a mad dash back over to the tables, only to find out the "chips" are now attached to the back of the bib number.Blush  By now, my heart was thumping and my legs were certainly warmed up, except the right glute which had a cramp going on. So I spent some time doing massage and stretching and then walked a good 10 minutes before the race.

I really like the course, having done it twice now; but probably won't do it again. It is part of a Fitness Expo that, in addition to the HM, has several different kinds of triathlons and duathlons. They seem to be very focused on those other events and not too interested in the runners. Today they never posted any HM results or gave any awards! They finished all the other events award ceremony, complete with a photographer to take medalist's photos, and then everyone dispersed. I went up and asked when the HM results would be posted on the board and was told they were too short handed for that, but they'd be online later today (which they are not). I asked about awards and was told they will just be mailing them to the runners who earned them! I got home and wrote them a letter about how disappointed I am with this kind of treatment.

All of that said...still happy with my run...surpassed my 2:10 goal by about 5 minutes...yay!  Next goal: 2 hours!

Sweet run HappyFeat. Under 6min/km.  You have to be happy with that. Well done

Goals 2016

Do stuff

A happy "I told you so" this morning! Great job pacing and managing the twinges, Happy. I dream of a 2:05.

Jeff - you are cruising into the long miles.

Perfesser -  I miss running at home, I'm glad you are getting those miles in for me.

Easy 3 miler this morning for me, 8 tomorrow (mid week/ mid long). No runs this past weekend, just spent some time with good friends in Saint John, New Brunswick (a very strange town).  And I couldn't herd the cats my buddies into a hike in the rain.

Happy monday, A

Recalculating...

Way to go Happy!  I think I'm going to try the "run around getting my bib" strategy before my next race.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

HappyFeat

Thanks again for all the encouraging words over the past months and weeks...believe it or not, alot of them came to my mind as I was running the race.

The official results posted online today and my Garmin matches their chip time of 2:05. 

I was the only one in my age group; came in 6th out of 10 in the Masters category, 56th out of 91 total entrants, and 34th out of 56 females.

So I'm pretty much in the middle of the pack now - movin' upCool

My biggest takeaway from this event was proving to myself  how much I've learned this past year about running hills, managing my pace, paying attention to my posture, and how I use different muscles in running. I felt like I had the tools I needed to try and run faster than usual and not fall apart. It was a very good feeling.