2000Km-1243 mile club

Timing chips (Read 342 times)

...---...

Hey folks - never done a race where a timing chip was used. So - in my upcoming HM, what have you found to be the best: go get my own chip or use one the race provides. I could careless personally and really don't intend to do a lot of races that require a chip (maybe 2 or 3 this year). I mean, is there a big hassle in using one's provided by the race?

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

I've never felt the need for my own chip. The big advantage to your own chip is that you can keep it on your shoe indefinitely and don't need to remove it after the race. You could also get an ankle strap style one so you didn't have to wear it on your shoe (or vice versa.) Technically, I have my own chip now because the Marine Corps Marathon used 1-time-use chips so I could probably just count that as my own. Since I have no trouble remembering to take the chip off and turn it in at the end of the race (avoiding the $30 charge for forgetting) I don't see it as a big deal. You don't have to worry about somebody losing your chip after you remove it if you have your own, but I've never had any trouble that way.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Think Whirled Peas

Don't buy your own. Especially running 2-3 races this year. You're more likely to lose it in between races anyway. IMHO.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

BaldMike

At the ING once you crossed the finish line and worked your way towards more water, food and cokes, you had to go past a line of people sitting on stools who cut your timing chip off for you. This was nice for me, since this was my first marathon and I did not particularly feel like bending over to do it myself. Dead i would not buy one, just use the ones they lend you.
          PR 10k - 47: 41 in 2007, goal to break 45 minuntes in 2008 PR 13.1 - 1:44:19 PR 26.2 - 4:24 in 2007, goal to break 3:45 in March 2008 Upcoming races: March 2008 - ING GA Marathon July 2008 - Peachtree Road Race And hopefully the Marine Corps Marathon in October 2008.

...---...

Perfect. Do races put the timing chip in your race packet? Or do you have a special "table?"

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Use the race chip. Trust me-they won't let you past the finish area without removing your chip. People on stools, like Mike said. It's no hassle at all. The chip will be in your packet. Usually there's a scanner at packet pickup so you can check that it's registered to you.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

I have my own timing chip. I run about 4 races a year. You pay 2,50-5,00 euro's per race to rent the darn thing. Costs 28,= euros when you buy. In the long run (no pun intended) it's cheaper.

Dutchie
                Run the day, or the day runs you.

...---...

Hmm. 28 euros, that's about $41 USD, ouch. I dont recall the ING race charging me a separate fee although I'm sure it's built in to the overall cost.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Hmm. 28 euros, that's about $41 USD, ouch. I dont recall the ING race charging me a separate fee although I'm sure it's built in to the overall cost.
                    The races I've run all folded the cost in, and I haven't seen an option for it to be cheaper if I had my own chip. But, not having my own chip, I've never looked into it.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Dutchie42

Overhere you always get to choose whether to rent the chip which ads to the cost, or bring your own in which case you just give them the number. I have stickers that go with the chip to send to the race organisation so there's no mistake with the number (there's the number and a barcode on it). I've scanned it and can copy paste it into online registration forms.

Dutchie
                      Run the day, or the day runs you.