2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Checkin Aug 3 - Aug 9 (Read 402 times)

...---...

Rest day Monday.

6.5 miles, aerobic to recovery pace this morning. Legs feel pretty good. I've got some tightness in my lower back and upper glutes so I focus on trying to keep those areas stretched. My office chair doesn't help - I get up multiple times during the day to do wall-banger stretches, glute stretches, sitting hamstring stretches, etc.

My co-workers, none of whom run...at all...ever...are used to my seeing me do this regularly. Doesn't stop them from making corny little comments though. I just smile and say something like, ":Yeah, running will probably kill me one day." And they nod in agreement. "Why anyone would subject themselves to that kind of torture, something that keeps you from being able to sit for long periods of time, I have no idea," I recall one of them saying recently. Then I say something like, "well, I'm crazy you know." And they nod.

Have a great week all!

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

An easy 4 miler this morning.  Legs felt better than I thought they would after the weekend.  Forgot the Garmin so I had to run by feel.  Wound up going a little faster than I should have, but never was really stressed. 

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

...---...

Brian - what kind of dog is that in your avatar?Nice running, btw.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Been insanely busy the last couple of weeks but I've managed to get in all my runs.  We just had some friends of ours move in to our house.  The transition to having a 4 year old and a 1 year old + a dog in the house has been quite a shocker.  Tomorrow will also be my 4th concert in the last 2 months.  We will be seeing Cracker at Va Beach.  Also saw Better Than Ezra, Collective Soul and Roger Clyne (Refreshments).

Did a 1 mile barefoot the other day and ended up with huge blisters from the pavement being so hot.  It didn't hurt that much while I was running but I knew I was in trouble as soon as I stepped into the grass and the hot feeling didn't go away.

Trey - That's one of my favorite parts of being a runner.  All the people that think I'm crazy.

Brian - what kind of dog is that in your avatar?

That's my son's Italian greyhound Fat Tony.  A true miniature greyhound, smaller than a whippet. He weighs 10 lbs, but will balloon to 11 during the winter. 

Imminent Catastrophe

Just one mile today, barefoot on the TM. My left Achilles is giving me problems so I'm pulling back a bit for a few days. Tomorrow's 12-mile trail run is canceled.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dog-Love

That's my son's Italian greyhound Fat Tony.  A true miniature greyhound, smaller than a whippet. He weighs 10 lbs, but will balloon to 11 during the winter. 

I think my cat is bigger than that!

I ran in the heat of the midday sun today (78 degrees) and again I nearly died.  But I didn't and I'm sure I am better for it.  Ran 3 separate trails which are connected by small amounts of road for a total of over 6 miles.  Rusty swam as much as he could.  May try some speed work (yuk) tomorrow at the track. 

Runner67:  I really liked your photos from SF; you have a good eye and I think you probably could put a photo book of marathons together sometime down the line.  I've always wanted to do something like that with the trails of Juneau for out of town runners.  May get inspired sometime.

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

...---...

Stretching, foam roller, and core/hip/groin exercises this morning. I hate the plank.

Happy hump day. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Gig

Oh, Crabby. 78 degrees? The horror.

Actually, that's a bit warm for me, and I'm used to it. In Maryland, Summer is finally here. This has been the first truly hot and humid week of the year. Yesterday was 89 degrees, and the humidity was so thick that I could feel myself pushing through it.

My summer vacations are pretty much over except for some day trips here and there, so I'm trying this week to return to a more regular routine. At karate camp last week, I let my miles suffer so that I could do more camp stuff. There were some runners there, but nobody I could keep up with.

Four miles into work this morning. Eight tonight, followed by karate.

8 miles before work this morning.  I don't usually do longer runs on weekday mornings.  Now I know why.  Very stiff and sore.

Startled two big deer, each with a nice set of antlers.  Learned that up close, startled deer in the wild smell like a petting zoo.

...---...

Learned that up close, startled deer in the wild smell like a petting zoo.

LOL. Cool dog, btw. 

Dutchie must be working hard sanding her stairs. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

8.8 today with emphasis on hills. The best thing--no Achilles issues!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Put in 40.3 Mi.  last week and plan 43 - 45 Mi. this week with some easy miles tommorow; 10k sat and 16 mi LR on Sun.

Being 1 - 2 to slots behind the bunny I hope to pass the furry beast some time late next week.  started off like 4 - 5 slots back a few weeks ago so moving up the pack!

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

...---...

Nice running Robert. Noticed you're in Mentor. I know it well. Used to work for Lubrizol headquartered in Wickliffe. Spent 6 months in Painesville at one of their plants on assignment. Some of my old work friends have threatened that if I don't get up there to run Cleveland in May, they'll disown me - so guess I'm heading to NE Ohio next spring.

4.2 miles, trails. Really felt like I wanted to run more...I'm thinking that's a really good sign so son after SF. exactly 30 days till my 50K. Doing a 7K trail race/run this weekend - I'll try to do the course before and then a couple time after the race. 

Trey

MTA - Russ, good news. I was worried about your achilles. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Nice running Robert. Noticed you're in Mentor. I know it well. Used to work for Lubrizol headquartered in Wickliffe. Spent 6 months in Painesville at one of their plants on assignment. Some of my old work friends have threatened that if I don't get up there to run Cleveland in May, they'll disown me - so guess I'm heading to NE Ohio next spring.

Trey

My wife used to work for Lubrizol from probably 1992 - 1998 in Wickliffe and then Painseville.   small world.  She was in their customer service department.  Good company at the time and paid for her to go back to school for a teaching degree.

When did you work for Lubrizol?

If you come to c-twon in may let me know.  May run the 10k at clev marathon as may look for other spring marathons for better times... maybe Toledo??

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!