2000Km-1243 mile club

March 2012 (Read 380 times)

Unseasonably warm here today.  It was a beautiful 72F and sunny.  My last "warm" weather run was a little pitiful so I slowed down for my effort today.  That worked out much better and I had a great run.  I'll do my last long run on Saturday then start my taper.  I am still undecided on my marathon race pace.  I only need a 3:25 to BQ (minus whatever the Boston premium works out to this year) but I'm thinking about trying for much faster.  What do you guys think my goal should be?  Half Marathon in 1:32:04 = Marathon in 3:XX:XX?

Trey - How is the recovery going? 

Kira - Nice miles for Feb.  Are you on track for your marathon?

Running Rev'd

Thanks! I am on target for the marathon. It's been a little difficult to fit in long runs because I'm a chaplain and am on-call every other weekend, so I can't really go far (and usually just end up running on the 'mill in case the pager goes off). I did my first long run over half marathon distance last week, and I'll add 3 to a half marathon next weekend to get in my first 16. My goal really is just to finish the marathon and run comfortably, so it's all about getting my legs used to working for that long!

We've had such a mild winter here in the south, and I had some really great, fun, happy runs this week. Happy March everyone! 

Called to Endure - Blog

"Everyone gets the sunset. Only the dedicated earn the sunrise."

Imminent Catastrophe

I noticed the warmer weather too. 7 Miles along the Riverwalk in San Antonio, it was about 80°F but typical Texas humidity. That's not really that hot but I certainly felt like it was a harder effort. Anyway I'm into the taper period. Two weeks to go and I'm hoping it's not too hot for the race!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Anyone know about "not sweating" ?  I usually sweat alot, especially my head, but in the last few miles of today's long run I could feel my face get red hot and I feared overheating, but absolutely no sweating occurred!  I made sure to sip my Heed (20 oz) throughout the run and I ate a couple caffeinated shot blocks (for the boostSmile).

MTA: I figured it out - was a bit dehydrated - too much partying the night before (girls night outRoll eyes)

MTA: How do you get your post to come out single spaced, PerfesserR?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Unseasonably cool here - max 68F.....normally 77F.......keeping fingers crossed it stays that way for another two weeks PerfesserR

Did 27 km over the ultra course yesterday.  Cuts to both shins, both knees (cutty grass), plus a wasp sting behind the knee.  Had a great time Smile

Nice soak in hotpools with the family at the end.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Tough going, Puke. Guess you aren't allergic, that's good.  I hope the temps stay down for you through the race. Upper 70's would be too warm! I've forgotten - have you run this event before?

Imminent Catastrophe

Anyone know about "not sweating" ?  I usually sweat alot, especially my head, but in the last few miles of today's long run I could feel my face get red hot and I feared overheating, but absolutely no sweating occurred!  I made sure to sip my Heed (20 oz) throughout the run and I ate a couple caffeinated shot blocks (for the boostSmile).

MTA: I figured it out - was a bit dehydrated - too much partying the night before (girls night outRoll eyes)

MTA: How do you get your post to come out single spaced, PerfesserR?

That's what I was thinking, dehydration. I don't know why my posts look different from yours, I just type in the box.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Tough going, Puke. Guess you aren't allergic, that's good.  I hope the temps stay down for you through the race. Upper 70's would be too warm! I've forgotten - have you run this event before?

Nope first time for this race....getting really excited now.  Seriously considering getting some calf guards / long socks and shaving my legs

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Do you wear gaiters?  They make knee high ones, not just the ankle protectors. Do trail racers wear them? I don't know the fashion etiquette for that.

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm wearing gaiters, they're getting pretty common in trail races. And calf sleeves thanks to pukekura's report!

Imminent Catastrophe

After the last weekend's double I've been having some pain in my left knee so I skipped my planned long Sunday trail run. Today after 4 days off I did an easy 4 with Taz and my legs felt absolutely weightless, it felt so easy and fast. Rest is good! The knee was OK, a little pain but no problem. I think it's just overuse and not an injury. 

I'm so psyched about New Zealand, we leave next Monday. Thanks to pukekura we have some sightseeing plans and on Thursday there's a fun run with Anton Krupicka who is running the race on Saturday. 

HappyFeat

Thanks for keeping us in the loop on your excursion plans, Russ. It sounds like sooo soo much FUN! I'm excited about your trip, too.Big grin How far is the planned fun run with AK? Is Brian doing that too?  I hope you knee completely calms down and doesn't bother you there.

Last week was the first week of the year I actually stuck with my Plan of 6-6-8-6-rest-LR-Rest, giving me a 40-mile week. I'm none the worse for wear, although I found I needed to run slightly slower the last two nights.  I'll probably skip this Thursday due to an appointment after work, but that's alright in the big scheme.

Imminent Catastrophe

Happy, it's 7.5 km, followed by a viewing of Unbreakable and a Q&A session with Anton. Should be really cool

HappyFeat

No kidding! Just last night I was watching a YouTube video clip/interview of his.  Well a run of that length will probably feel good at that point before The Big One.  I was thinking of putting Unbreakable on my wish list, but you can view so many perhaps similar things on YouTube, I wasn't sure it would be worth the cost. Let me know what you think after you see it.

MTA: I need to tear myself away from the 'puter and go run!

Thanks for keeping us in the loop on your excursion plans, Russ. It sounds like sooo soo much FUN! I'm excited about your trip, too.Big grin How far is the planned fun run with AK? Is Brian doing that too?  I hope you knee completely calms down and doesn't bother you there.

Last week was the first week of the year I actually stuck with my Plan of 6-6-8-6-rest-LR-Rest, giving me a 40-mile week. I'm none the worse for wear, although I found I needed to run slightly slower the last two nights.  I'll probably skip this Thursday due to an appointment after work, but that's alright in the big scheme.

Hi Happy

unfortunately I can't get over for the fun-run.  A co-worker is finishing up next week and moving to Aussie.  His leaving function is Thursday night....won't even be able to hit the booze at the function.  Which means, by default, I am the sober driver.

Gonna be a cool 7.5 km trail run too.

You seem to be putting a bit of distance between yourself and the bunny!  Way to go Happy

Like Russ, I have had a bit of an issue with knees.  No pain though, just a bit stiff in the right knee.  Seems to be getting better.  Hasn't stopped me yet

Goals 2016

Do stuff